Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

That phone call......

2K views 22 replies 22 participants last post by  Ridin Dirty 
#1 ·
Was up in Spring Arbor working on a Friends house when I got a call from my wife. "Judah (our 9 month old) has stopped breathing". She then told me that he actually stopped then they revived him and are waiting for the Ambulance. That was at Lunch time. I rode up with my friend with 2 other people. I felt like I was trapped but my wife assured me that he was ok now and that she would keep my updated.

I'm not saying my friend wouldn't have driven me home. He would have. I just didn't want to ruin thier day. So....we kept eating (because we were at lunch) and I kept getting updates. Felt ok with staying up in SA intill the end of the day.

He had a Febrile Siezure because he had a Fever of 103.6 due to an ear infection. He's fine now but man he scared the crap out of us. Held him tight when I got home and he just smiled like nothing happened.

I'm so Glad the little guy is ok. God, and mommy, watched out for him even when his daddy was not there to take care of him. Probably the first time I felt sick because of inability to act.

This is what being a parent is isn't? Oh boy.

See less See more
#3 ·
In fact that is what being a parent is all about. Unconditional love and concern but also the fear of not be able to help or be available when needed.

Glad to hear he is doing better.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the Comments guys!

The only reason we didn't go was because my wife told me that he was breathing again and alert before she hung up on the first call. My Friend would have taken me in a heartbeat. They were out of the hospital before 4.

#22 ·
Its horrible and very unfortunate but also quite common. A seizure is caused by a sudden and unexpected spike in the child's temp. Their body actually has a seizure because it does not know what else to do. The bad things are that that much muscle activity cause more body heat and that breathing usually stops during a seizure and that is how people can die from them. I am not trying to scare anyone, just educating. They may have been breathing during it, just usually very shallow and hard to detect with all the muscle motion.

PSA: Do not do anything for someone having a seizure unless you have a medication handy to stop it. Do not pry their mouth open, do not stick anything in there and do not hold them down. Just get them onto the floor and try to move them away from anything in the area that they may hurt themselves on and wait until it stops

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.