Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Smith and Wesson 40M&P

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  cloud9tj 
#1 ·
So I have pretty much narrowed down what i am going to get, I really like it, seems to fit my hand well. Anyways what is a good deal on one? I sold my truck today, so i put one on layaway and put that money down so I don't spend it. Anyways before I go and get ripped is $550 a decent deal? Also anything wrong with this gun? If there i can get alot better deal, where are they?

#5 ·
are you set on a 40 cal?

I have a taurus PT140 and in hindsight I would buy a 9mm instead... the ammo is a little cheaper for the same grade. If your buying the gun to just have around, than that might not be a big deal. If it is going to be a range gun, the price of ammo adds up after a few thousand rounds...

#7 ·
I think the difference is more like $4 per 50, but I don't like to shoot cheap junk either... $4 per box of ammo about 2000 rounds in $160 bucks... thats enough for me to consider the caliber before I purchase the gun.
but, thats just my .02, plus, I'm cheap... and looking for a descent .22 pistol to use at the range so I don't have to think as much about ammo prices.

#11 ·
9mm is a better choice. Modern ballistics are so close between the two it isn't even worth making a comparison.

115gr CorBon DPX in 9mm has been proven to do its job. Hornady is making some new "Critical Defense" ammo that looks really good on their advertisements and tests, I'm just waiting for some third party testing to come out for it. It might be a good option as well.

#13 ·
I agree, I'm just leery that the only info I have seen so far is from people on Hornady's payroll. Once some reliability tests come out and they have been shot into different mediums from private people, I'll definitely be interested.

The concept is great, I just hope it works like they say it does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.