Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Mr. Beefy's "not quite yet U4 buggy" build

358K views 3K replies 117 participants last post by  Mr. Beefy 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright fine, I'll make a new build thread :finger: :sonicjay:

Bought a MandM offroad chassis from PJ, super good dude to deal with and super nice. HIGHLY recommend. http://mandmfab.com/id68.html
This is chassis #20

Order placed on Monday 11-5 at about noon..

Got this on 11-6.

11-9

11-12

11-13

See less See more
#58 · (Edited)
Nope, but it sounded great!

Section 257.710c
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (2), a person shall not operate a motor vehicle having lift blocks between the front axle and springs, or with lift blocks that exceed 4 inches in height between the rear axle and springs in addition to those provided by the original manufacturer. Any body lift block shall be of single piece construction and shall not use more than a 3-inch spacer. Any suspension lift block shall use an alignment pin between the axle and the spring, and shall be of single piece construction. Spring shackle replacements shall not exceed the original equipment manufacture length by more than 2 inches, and coil spring spacers are prohibited. All steering components shall be geometrically arranged to function as original equipment manufacture. Welded pitman arms, drag links, and tie rods are prohibited. All parts used to modify the original suspension or height of a motor vehicle shall be factory manufactured and shall meet or exceed the original manufacturer's specifications.

This thread is not about steering or whether or not it's to be a trailer queen.

#60 ·
All steering components shall be geometrically arranged to function as original equipment manufacture. Welded pitman arms, drag links, and tie rods are prohibited. All parts used to modify the original suspension or height of a motor vehicle shall be factory manufactured and shall meet or exceed the original manufacturer's specifications.

This thread is not about steering or whether or not it's to be a trailer queen.
No it's not but it is about John making good decisions for his build.

Full hydro is geometrically arranged to function as OE. It adjusts both tires together as the steering wheel is rotated. Since there is no pitman arm, drag link or tie rod, that portion does not apply.

To me, it's still grey enough that it could be argued. Won? I hope I don't have to try.:sonicjay:

Either way, after having no assist, hydro assist and full hydro, for a buggy I would not even consider anything but full hydro.

#63 ·
I haven't noticed any feel off road in the way of reaction but my assist did pretty good. Definitely turns smoother in binding situations.

On highway it wanders a little more. That and the internal leakage of the orbital lets the wheel gradually drift. I've driven 30+ miles to a trail head and didn't feel uncomfortable.

#64 ·
Are your links holding your heims on your full welded whiterhino? John was running a single ended ram with a tie rod. Not sure if he had welded in bungs on the tie rod or not but I think he does. My tie rod and drag link have welded joints so i'm in violation as well. If he's going to have a bronco vin, it won't be manufacturers spec.....but again, why the f does it matter? I'll go out on a limb and say he's not going to sacrifice offroad performance for on road legality. Back to the bronc....err buggy build :thumb:

#65 ·
Hiems at the knuckles with weld in bungs and a single ended ram is what I was running on the bronco the last few months, prior was heims at knuckles, weld in bungs, but a tie rod at the pitman and no assit.

Will it be driven on the road-yes, will I drive it on the road for any other reason to get directly from point a to b to wheel-no

#66 ·
Fuel cells.......

I have zero desire to run a external pump, my old tank was 19 gallons and was just about perfect for fuel usage with my combo. My pump was 40 gph and 45psi operating pressure. Are there options out there for good fuel cells and running an in tank pump? I prior setup was a 96 f250 rear tank, stock sender and pump etc...if I could I would just rerun the same tank but I can't.

#75 ·
I was going to weld an explorer setup into my 71 Bronco tank, not the stock one I have a bigger aftermarket one. 23 gallon I think.

I have the whole tank with pump and was going to cut the section out of the stock tank and weld to the bronco tank.

Not sure if I will ever get to it but could work for you or use any tank you wish.

#70 ·
Got some indirect work done on it today. Split from work early and spent a couple hrs power washing my axles and rims/tires. Suppose to get my truss's and my coilover mounts tomorrow. Waiting on another shipment from ruff stuff and my clocking ring.

Still in need of a 80's kingpin 60 or another bj 60 housing.

#78 ·
done yet? i did mine from scratch in 3.5 months. the way you work,you should easily have this done by snofari.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.