Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Just Empty Every Pocket - The Project - IT LIVES!!

48K views 311 replies 50 participants last post by  TVJunkie 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are a few shots of my current project. It's a 86 XJ that came stock with 2.8 that was busted and a missing trans when I acquired it.

As it currently sits, it now has newer 4.0 XJ springs in the front. I have the small block mounted along with the 700R4 and 207 t-case. The t-case linkage is now finished and works great. Need to do the shift linkage to finish off the trans. I'm waiting on money so I can get the radiator and a boatload of small crap to wrap this up.

Here it is in all it's glory.

See less See more
#284 ·
I need to figure out the cooling system. I have a few ideas. During the winter, it was fine but add outside heat now and it gets hotter than I want. Go from the 180' stat to a 160', change pulleys to slow the water pump down or really upgrade the electric fan. We'll see.

#290 ·
Did a bit of rework on the t-case linkage. Got rid of that stupid transfer linkage and went direct from the shifter to the t-case. A have approx $15 in this mod. Much more firm but need to move the hole for the shifter down about 1/2" to get 4 low. Not a big deal, it has everything else nice and solid but pops out of 4 low. It was a guessing game seeing I didn't have the stock Jeep t-case arm. Found the joints at Tractor Supply (MTD4415168) and the 3/8x24 threaded rod from NAPA.

#294 ·
Well, I finally went and did something productive. I finally got the floor done today. :woot:

I was expecting soft, but this soft/gone?

I got a replacement side because I didn't know what was needed and I got it very much cheaper thru work.

Here is the aftermath after cutting.

Installed, welded and undercoated.

I just need to let the undercoating cure then I can put the interior back together.

I did change pulleys to slow the water pump down. I got new belts because the new ones need a shorter belt. I'll get to that along with putting in the new fan. This one really sucks.

You never know where you'll find something. Most of everything I got was from a circle track book or street rod show.

#299 ·
Got it put back together and made a half assed pass with the vacuum this morning. Got the new belts on and should hopefully show steady temps at speed, also with the aluminum pulleys it won't squark on start up vs the chrome ones. And they look cool. I'll wait on putting the new fan on until this proves otherwise. Noticed when I pulled the old belts off that the bolts holding the p/s pump on the main bracket backed off and I re-tightened those.

It's nice driving it again. I even have a solid floor in it now.

#300 ·
In this heat, it showed a flaw in my cooling system. I didn't notice it during the build but I ended up mounting the rad with sheet metal and the bumper blocking airflow to the bottom half.

Cutting anything isn't a option and don't have the over $600 for the proper rad. It can't be moved either.

I got this just in case. It looks like I'm building brackets to mount it because I don't want it mounted to the rad. It's a good Flex-A-Lite Cyclone 16".

Should pull air nicely. Going down the road and it heats up. Idling and it comes down.

#305 ·
Did more looking and it looks like I'll be removing the fan and rad to cut the center out of the lower crossmember for better airflow. I'll move the trans cooler over and make the mounts for the fan since the rad will be out anyway. I would like to find a drain for the lower hose since the rad has no drain. Work up some kind of lower scoop to go under the bumper and move air that way too. The front hitch should provide the extra support when that piece is cut out since it mounts on both sides.

Ahh, the trial and error part continues.

#309 ·
An Advance Adapters kit for a CJ that was modified to work on my wreck. Got it from work cheap because the customer just wanted the rubber isolators. I got new ones out of the Trans-dapt book. Cut and modified everything to fit. You seen the result.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.