Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Fords new way of testing thoughts?

5K views 77 replies 22 participants last post by  Brods 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The long term target of that project goes well beyond just driving test vehicles... I wouldn't be worried about job loss. The headcount working on a project like that (and the subset of all parts involved by suppliers, etc) goes way beyond replacing one driver....

#14 ·
the UAW representing test drivers at various proving grounds are going to poop all over this one although THIS IS NOTHING NEW. as i recall, Chrysler introduced some robotic piloting at Chelsea Proving grounds under the reign of site manager Sue Chiski (sp?) and i believe at least one of the site members works out there but cannot remember who.

any comments from that chap?

#21 ·
No doubt, but for fawks sake, if you cant keep up with the times then that is too bad. Jobs are not going away because of improvements in technology. The auto manufacturers are not trying to eliminate jobs, they are trying to make better cars for less money using technology. It will continue this way FOREVER.

#24 ·
First statement total bullshit, almost all people can re educate themselves, more programs now than ever to help people get an education, yeah it costs more, but very possible,
My grandma was a single mother who lost her job at the post office, instead of sitting on her ass she put herself through nusing school with three kids,
And this was in the 60s, So I dont want that excuse

Second statement totally true, the problem is that all these descions are "profit" based. So there is a huge element of greed involved from which that is to be expected.

Decent paying jobs with good benefits need to be available to everyone in this country....if not say goodbye to the middle class

#41 ·
I understand not having the capacity to learn something. It's like me with directions. I CANNOT learn where the fuck I am. I can get lost in my own back yard. I am the reason GPS was invented and it's not for lack of trying. I grew up in Troy which is a perfect grid system for learning/driving and I still got lost all the time.

Also, which may be related to my horrible sense of direction, I can never tell what room in a house is above or below me.

But to the point of jobs. Jobs shift, they always have. Technology shifts jobs. What do you think the invention of electricity, the telephone, the internet, everything has done? Those poor door to door encyclopedia salesmen!

#46 ·
Hey Brods, my panties arent in a bunch, I just get frustrated when I have to deal with people who make excuses and blame others for their own misfortunes. If it were up to people with your attitude we would still be driving model A's. Just ask Metallica 'internet is gonna kill the music industry!' Ha! I will waste no more letters of the alphabet explaining this. Good day.

#50 ·
A whole bunch of people are reading more into my statements than is there.

All I am saying, is that not everyone can 're-train' for a completely different type of work. A driver for the test track can transition to driving for UPS easier than he can transition to servicing the autonomous systems. Or is everyone saying that engineering level careers are a cakewalk? I doubt it, it takes hard work and a good understanding of mechanical or electrical principles to become an engineer. I poke fun at some, but I know enough about it to know it's not simple work. I'm still trying to find enough time to learn CAD well enough to make changes to our electrical prints. I can draw a print by hand in much less time than it takes for me to change it in CAD.

If 'education' is all that's necessary, then everyone in a given course should get the same grades, correct? Hardly.

A given career requires certain talents, if a person does not have the raw talent, no amount of training can make them proficient.

Oh- I do not promote the 'welfare' of keeping archaic jobs for the manual laborers, it just irritates me when someone takes the position of 'It's simple, re-train', or 'If I can do it, anyone can'. People are not all the same.

#54 ·
'displaced workers' thats funny. We should do nothing about them. They need to find another job, its pretty simple. Just like when grocery stores started selling milk, the milk man got a different job. Just like when phones started dialing, the operator found a new job. Just like when the back hoe was invented, the ditch digger got a new job. Just like when the car was invented, the horse got a new job. The biggest problem with this discussion here is that I in no way believe that innovations like this robotic driver eliminates jobs. Will a certain person loose his job? Maybe, but not a big deal in the big picture. I lied, I wasted letters of the alphabet again....

#60 ·
I cant wait for the day this is possible! IF I want a Jeep, I have my magic A.I. design and build me one. If I want a bigger bed, I have it do the same. I can sit in my awesome roboticly built house and eat cheetos all day and watch it build me cool stuff. No need to work now!

#59 ·
Still not talking about entitlement.

I'm talking about what happens to the people that their skill level is maxxed out in menial labor.

And since no one seems to be able to pick up on it, I'll tell you what I think will happen.

Welfare.

We will be paying to support the people who do not have the ability to work in a tech oriented world.

#62 ·
So you're example of mental midgets is all well and good, hopefully they'll be like the smart designers were who realized their place, took their lumps, and moved on....instead of just pissing and moaning like the other morons.
At least someone gets my point..... the piss and moan type will be on welfare.

No one 'owes' anyone a job- not even high end engineers. If it can be automated, jobs will be lost- and different jobs will be created. Since everyone can't be good at everything, some people will fall through the cracks.

And maybe end up on crack...

And looking to take your stuff...

#65 ·
At least someone gets my point..... the piss and moan type will be on welfare.

No one 'owes' anyone a job- not even high end engineers. If it can be automated, jobs will be lost- and different jobs will be created. Since everyone can't be good at everything, some people will fall through the cracks.

And maybe end up on crack...

And looking to take your stuff...
BlooMule, might as well give up. They cannot get past their hatred of anything that appears to be liberal in nature, even if it is not.
Haggar said:
If you look at the idea of putting robots as drivers, I see it as delivering a better product. They can do 99% percentile driving moves, without fear or risk of injury. And can do it repeatably.
Self driving cars will happen and they will be sophisticated marvels of engineering for sure. That capability will be modified and applied to many other manufacturing and service sectors replacing humans. As AI gets more powerful it will replace white collar jobs. And that will be the same story for many other jobs traditionally thought safe from machines. The issue will be a lack of jobs, not people being too lazy to work. One million displaced people competing for 100,000 jobs and it doesn’t matter how much education or retraining they have 900,000 will be SOL. What do we do then?

#68 ·
There has been work on AI and self replicating computers for decades- it's always a decade away it seems- but eventually it will happen. Now, if robotics can replace all human tasks, exactly what will the humans do to earn an income to buy the robots to do the tasks?

A little off-topic:

When I worked for Aetna stamping, we were clearing out the old offices upstairs that dated back to WWII when the plant was building warplanes. I found a bunch of old hand drawn blueprints for airplanes in one of the cabinets, realllly cool to think that those planes were designed on paper, entirely out of the engineer's head and error checked by another- based on his knowledge. I wonder how many CAD monkeys could do that if asked to today.

#77 ·
Yep some of the old prints are truly works of art. And just think there were no calculators, just slide rules.

Unfortunately computer aided ignorance is not limited to drafting. We ran into many ASME code fab shops who would not build our vessels because they could not use their code calculation software to validate the closure. Bear in mind the same code accepted closure has been used since the 1960’s, back when all the calcs were done by hand and engineers could do math.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.