Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Whiskey Creek Campground Snowmobile trail

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  ATOMIC_BADBOY 
#1 ·
Dont know if this info is on here this is from Whiskey creek campgound please go to there FB page and sign up to get the petition letter~~~~~
OK facebook friends! I am in BIG need of some help. There has been an awesome group of individuals who have been working very hard on getting a new groomed snowmobile trail in our area which would connect from Traverse City down to Marne, which would have a stop here at Whiskey Creek along the way, we need this trail to go through as it would be a HUGE help to us for winter business. We need to get as many positive comments on this proposed trail as possible, which is where you all come in. All we need is a simple, positive, one sentence statement saying you are FOR this trail. I have a sheet I could either email you, for you to fill out and drop in the mail, or I can even mail it to you with a pre-stamped envelope. PLEASE let me know if you are willing to help us out by either giving me your email address or physical address where I can send this info. THANK YOU !!!! Whiskey Creek Campground

#3 ·
^ you have all the other snowmobile trails that snowmobilers pay for to rollerblade on, isnt that enough? If you want a roller blade or bike trail start your own. Jk

I am all for any new trails and will pm you my address.

Whiskey creek is a awsume place to snowmobile, at least it was twenty years ago when we had a membership.

For the record I think it's pointless to start a new trail as far south as marne. We dont get enough snow in the lp lately to justify it. We get a little snow and it melts the next day. We never get a decent base anymore so if we do get 6" of snow you are still riding on frozen dirt. Land owners dont like it when people ride with too little snow, but that doesnt stop them.

I would love to see a all motorized vehical trail, no hikers, no rollerblades, no bikes.

#7 ·
If the roller bladers,hikers,and bikers would pay to maintain trails I would gladly share. They dont. Snowmobilers pay for all the bridges, maintence, and land leases.
How about charging EVERYONE to use trails instead of just snowmobilers who spend huge amounts of money that roller bladers dont.

#9 ·
I think its a state snowmobile trail, just trying to support Whiskey Creek Campground. They have an oval track - went to snowmobile races a couple weeks ago, they do Charity atv/ utv rides, horseback events, motorcycle races. Just go to there FB page or Google them! They have a lil resort thing going, bar/ restaurant ~ store ~ gas, with 2tracks all around west of baldwin- east of hart in BFE.

#10 · (Edited)
No, I don't pay the pittley $45 for the trail permit or the three year registration. a total of $75 whopping dollars!per SOS's website
What I do do is buy a recreational pass every year, buy an ORV license every year, I also pay state and federal taxes....Which in turn help fund the grants these trails are in part built and maintained with.
I also participate in trail maintenance three seasons out of the year. Which BTW is beneficial to ALL user groups.

#13 ·
I pay all the fees you do PLUS the $45 PER SLED

I would like snowmobile funds to go to snowmobile trails and projects only.
It takes a lot more money to fund trails that are to be used by more then snowmobiles.
Snowmobile trails can use farm lands that can not be used during other seasons. Farmers dont really want people on their land. They may allow snowmobiles in the winter, good luck going through their bean feild in the other months.
Snowmobiles dont need pavement. Snowmobile trails dont require much maintence after the trail is opened in the fall. Multi use trails require constent maintence and the funding to pay for it.
I feel the snowmobiler has more then paid his share and shouldnt have to acomodate bikers and rollerbladers with pavement.

Im all for bike paths, but not when it takes away from what the msa has built over decades.

#12 ·
dan hoe has done a nice job at whiskey creek. glad to see they are still working on the trail.

#16 ·
And this is why I say snowmobile funds for snowmobile trails. It costs ten times as much to build and maintain a full access trail. It is much more difficult to even plot a path through private properties. When lawyers get involved and force people to give up rights to their property it gets exspensive, and ugly. This is why sections of snowmobile trails more around from year to year. The MSA does a great job of working with landowners and leasing the use of their land. The MSA does not just come in and say "we are using your land" like other state run organazations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.