Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

SAFE recovery explained

22K views 113 replies 48 participants last post by  GMKLR50 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is being put together by request . For those that do not know me i am a 30 year veteran of the towing ind . I am wreckmaster level 23 certified operator .

The following information and photos are here to help the occasional user of winches and recovery equimpent for safe use of said items .

First and formost , do NOT underestimate what your doing . Lets use a 4,000 lb rig as a base . Because the rig weighs 4,000 lbs does not mean that a recovery strap rated for 4,000 will recovery this vehicle when it is stuck .

If using a winch the winch should be rated for a minimum of 8,000 lbs to recover a 4,000 lb rig . The reason is the pull required to free a stuck vehicle will far exceed the weight . Twice the weight is recommended as a minimum , a winch supplies a stead even pull unlike a recovery strap .

If this same rig is to be freed with a recovery strap 16,000 lb strap would be bare minimum . The reasoning here is that a jerk rather then a steady pull will be applied there for creating a much larger amount of force then a winch .

I personally do not recommend purchasing any thing less then a 3 " quality recovery strap . 3" strap will be rated at or near 30,000lb depending on there quality . This is the maximum for that strap when new . Continued use will reduce its strenght over time there for i highly recommend this as a minimum .

If you wheel a full size rig that can easily weigh 6,000 + lbs then do your self a favor , purchase a 6" strap 48,000 to 55,000 lb rating . Common price is less then $100.00 It will last much longer then a 3 " , it will not break when you need it most and it will save lives when used .

Clevis is an important item to carry , DO NOT use a pin style clevis . Use a thread in clevis like the one in the photo 3/4 inch minimum on this item .

Threaded shackle and 3" strap

proper connection , make sure you and the rig you hook to have a solid hook point , do not turst the other person that there bumper is solid , tow hook and so on . 2 bolts grade 8 3/8 or larger thread size are minimum to secure a tow point for a lite weight rig .

Do not connect 2 straps together with a shackle , this is death waiting to happen . The schakle is a lethal weapon if ether strap breaks .

THIS PHOTO IS A NO NO do not use this method nor be around any one that does use it .

2 straps may be hooked together to gain lenght if needed . this can be done with an ordinary stick creating a solid connection and a much safer method . this stick weighs less then the bolt in the clevis let alone the clevis its self . The purpose of the stick is simple to get the straps back apart .

Winching . I strongly recommend synthetic rope , i have used synthtic and broken it as well . It is much lighter to work with , does not bur and injure your hands and # 1 thing , it does not fly when broken . It falls quickly and safely to the ground . If you are using wire rope aka cable then place a blanket , coat or floor mat over the cable near the center of its lenght before winching . This will reduce the potential of a broken wire rope causing injury or vehicle damage . They can be very deadly .

The point , or open end of the hook on your winch line should point up , this will force the hook downward if a tree saver of hook fails .

winch blanket

Unless you have a hell of a lot of experience please do not argue this post . Please feel free to add " good " information as i certainly have not covered every thing here . There are several injuries and some times death every year from the lack of knowledge in this matter . If you wish to argue with me please show your credentials or source of information. I am not the king of recovery and would be glad to see new ideas . Above all lets NOT lead new people in an unsafe direction .

Bigger is better when it comes to recovery , your better to over estimate then to come up short .

If your new to this sport , or recovery please take some good advise . With 30 years under my belt i still learn every day . I hope this information saves some one a hard lesson in life .

M L Farley aka Grandman
Wreck master ceritifed
Operator ID # 97496

See less See more
#107 ·
The point , or open end of the hook on your winch line should point up , this will force the hook downward if a tree saver of hook fails .
If your new to this sport , or recovery please take some good advise . With 30 years under my belt i still learn every day . I hope this information saves some one a hard lesson in life .
I never knew that. Thanks for the info.:thumb:

#109 ·
I am going to bump this to the top after I had to pull a framed Chevy full size out at Twisted this previous weekend. He went to drop the strap over the ball and I stopped in my tracks and very firmly told him that I will take my strap back unless he slides it into the receiver and uses the hitch pin not the ball.

He listened since his only other choice was a Subaru Legacy, a XJ, a stock TJ, or a Saturn wagon.:sonicjay:

I haven't been wheeling very long myself but my dad has taken the time to F-ing drill proper recovery into my head. I hope that his lessons will allow me to keep my head attached when recovering someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.