Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Buy cars from Canada bring to here USA

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Denton 
#1 ·
I am little concern about this situation with seller of van. He live 5 min from Michigan.

He say that I can bring van over here and you buy it no problem. But my friend say no you need go though US custom and bring van here yourself not seller.

My Boss think seller could do if you bring title to SOS to transfer in your name here.

#4 ·
Thank for that links I already read them but did reread again.

My question this seller say he will bring van to here in Marine City, Michigan from Canada. He say no problem you can get title, go to sos put in your name and you be done.

That what stop me when he say ^. Just worry if SOS refused transfer Canada title in my name cause I didn't go though US custom.

#5 ·
Ignorance of the laws is not an excuse, and telling them you read is was ok on GL4x4.com won't fly. Go to the SOS, and ask them the best way. Explain, or have somebody with you that can explain the situation to them. Last thing you want is to give this guy cash, he takes off back to Canada, and you're out money, and now have a car you can't drive.

#7 ·
I think that would be your best bet. I'm sure in the AM there will be somebody on here that has done is 47 times, and it's no big deal. If it was me...that information is worth what ya paid for it.... Nothing. Best of luck to you. :thumb:

#9 ·
Thats correct. I bought a Mustang in Canada a few years back. Before I could cross the border the VECI/Emissions label under the hood had to specifically state the vehicle met the US emissions standards for that model year. Thats all I needed to cross the border. Unfortunately some dillhole repainted the car and painted over said label requiring me to wait for one from Ford Motor Company in print. When you cross the border with the car and its inspected they will give you a paper you have to take with you to the SOS or they will not transfer it to you. I was told if it has a maple leaf on the VECI label or on another label on the car it means it was built for the Canadian market only and it cannot be bought/sold in the US. Hope this helps. But make sure to contact the SOS in case anything has changed since then.

#10 ·
I have purchased vehicle in the USA and brought them into Canada. So we're going the other way but it may be similar. I needed to fax a copy of the title to US customs 72 hrs in advance to export it. Not all vehicles are able to be imported but there is a very detailed list of can and can'ts. If it is older you should be good but check it out. I picked up a toyota pickup in Ohio and was crossing in Detroit driving it. When I got to customs the dickhead agent there tried telling me I only faxed the title 65 hrs ago. I definitely faxed it 4 business days earlier so he was full of shit and on a power trip(my dad lined up in the wrong line and this guy is yelling at him and has his hand on his gun, like wtf?) so after sitting at customs for a couple hrs and them not letting us proceed with the export we driven into Canada anyways. Canada customs couldn't have cared less if we exported it from the US before we imported. Because my truck was more than 25 years old I didn't require to go through the imported vehicle inspection which costs $200 up front at time of import and can have some very strict requirements. We took the truck back to US customs the next day and exported it from the US.
I had purchased a 30 day temporary permit in Ohio to drive it home and got pulled over about 28 days later in Ontario and I thoughts I was in trouble but the officer asked me if it was legal to drive with the Ohio temp and I said yup. He then proceeded to ask me how to import a vehicle because he was planning to do the same. Cool.

My advice to you is that US customs is going to want to know about this van getting imported into the country. I would call them directly and ask. (Good luck, they don't like answering questions. They will just tell you to go to the website. Just call back and ask again till you get somebody who isn't a d-bag.)
I would not import a vehicle again unless it was something unavailable or rare in Canada or it was a screaming deal.

#11 · (Edited)
It was screaming deal that reason I want buy.

I tried find US custom phone number. Going keep look more.

I talk to owner about emission sticker He say it should be there so he going get picture. He say that he ever use that van drive to Florida couple times a year since he own property there. He say he don't think it be too big hassle deal with US Custom.

I ask him sent me vin so I can call US Custom to see what I need do since their lists to do are different because seller bring van here by himself.

Got Vin it say It build in Ohio, USA so I am sure it be fine.

#12 ·
I was looking at buying a car outside of Windsor I never got a really straight answer from customs and calling SOS was little help. The car wasn't that great of a deal so I didn't pursue it further than a couple calls. Best of luck and let us know what you end up figuring out!

#13 ·
Call US custom well Suta99 is right. Their serious tone say WHY CAN'T YOU GET VAN YOURSELF. It illegal to do that. I told it my first time so they say oh ok you will need 3 items FIRST.

1. Foreign title
2. bill of sale
3. Manufacturer paper EPA say van allow to transfer to USA.

Now my mind is way blew so too many to focus on 1 thing. Who I should contact Ford or ford dealership for manufacturer paper say Van is allow to bring here?

I had vin if anyone need.

Thank for your help I appericate INPUT.:thumb:

#16 ·
Call the Ford Customer Relation team at 1-800-392-FORD (3673). They can direct you where you need to go to get the certification paper from Ford. It costs money and it has to be sent to a Ford dealer in Canada from my past experience. Basically, you pay for it and pick up the paper from the Ford dealer and with all of the paper work you go through customs. It has to be an official letter mailed to the dealer and not a fax. I was in an overnight rush and they faxed it to the dealer. I had one heck of a time because it was a "faxed" copy and not the official letter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.