Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

89 F250 Diesel

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Coyote Red 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 89 F250 with the international IDI non turbo diesel. I would like a turbo but this is a nice truck for what I need it for.

I've looked into it and talked to a few friends they say it's a really good motor but would like more input.

The goods, bads, and uglys?

#5 ·
$4000 is more inline with what they are worth. Some 7.3's were prone to cavitation if SCA's were not used but, there are many still on the road that have never seen a treatment, a 7.3 for all practical purposes is just a 6.9 bored .110 with 1/2" head bolts instead of the 6.9's 7/16. Reliable as a rock but not the most powerfull thing in the world. With an added turbo or a factory 93.5-94 IDI turbo they will outrun a stock 1st gen powerstroke. If that truck is not rusted out it is well worth the asking price. EDIT, they really take well to a 75/25 mixture of WMO so the fuel bill is next to nothing.

#6 · (Edited)
I made this video of it, its my friends truck. Runs and drives great and came from Florida a few years back. Only thing I really noticed wrong with it are that both front and rear tank gas gauges don't seem to work. Well worth the price though, it would already be in my driveway if I had the cash.

#8 ·
They are pretty good but concern about SCA in coolant on 7.3L they prone to cavitation.

I miss my 87 F250 6.9L NONTURBO 2wd with 4 speed. Those will get me 20 mpg without try effort. But I do coast most time when toward to stop. Rev to redline I think 3,300 is max.

Only couple I hate. Oil leaks, HARDEST start in 10oF it RATTLE, LOUD on highway at 55 mph, and electric issues for alternator.

Vs

2000 F350 7.3L powerstroke auto. MPG SUCKY 16 in winter city and summer 17 / Highway it 19-21 due leak and boost leak. Expensive to fix if breakdown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.