Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Wheeling with tire chains

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Freak 
#1 ·
I haven't seen anybody else on here with tire chains on there rig. Is there some unspoken rule about running chains? Is it considered cheating?

I ran chains on all 4 tires on my Toyota that I used around my property. The traction was incredible. I've pulled tree trunks out of the woods up to the front of the property. I ran them all year round, not just in snow.

I keep a set in my DD Grand Cherokee, used them a couple times to get home when the road drifted shut.

Looking thru the Snofari pics I didn't notice anyone with tire chains.

#13 ·

Chains are hot shit in the mud, but they will tare the hell out of what ever you are driving on, the road we used chains on up in ND looked like hell, you don't even have to have wheel spin to mess up a trail or road.
Most people don't run them because when a chain breaks it wont take much to take out a break line or a fender, the are expensive to buy and expensive to repair properly.

#15 ·
We used to run chains on our 2wd woods truck getting wood in the early fall/ winter. Would drive until we were stuck, then throw the chains on and keep on going. They work great if you use them right, not sure I would use them on a trail rig. A work truck when needed yes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.