Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

rant about Cummins owners at work

12K views 124 replies 59 participants last post by  8PTBUCK 
#1 · (Edited)
WTF is it with the majority of these guys? Every damn place I work, there has to be at least one of them, and as soon as they see I drive a Duramax, they have to come over and start trashing on it right away.

I just started working a new place a week ago. Day #1 within 10 minutes of being there, this guys jumps on me and starts telling me how great is Megacab is. I just keep quiet. Then he starts telling me what a piece of shit my Duramax is. I keep quiet again. After 8 days of him telling everybody we go to lunch with what a problematic pile of shit my "rice-burning import engine" is, I finally call him out and ask him what specifically is so shitty about my truck.

Me: So what specifically is so shitty about my truck that makes you feel the need to trash on it every day?
Him: Well, uh, um, they have injector problems.
Me: Yes, the LB7 did. I told you that yesterday. What else.
Him: Well, um, my uncle works for a place that he said that his friend told him that all the Duramaxes have all these problems
Me: Name one.
Him: Well, I don't know specifically, so I'll have to look into it and get back to you.
Me: That's what I thought. You're such a hypocrite. You have no clue what you're talking about.
Him. It doesn't matter what a piece of shit your truck is, everybody knows Cummins are the best motors ever built. 6 in a row, built to tow! Pistons the size of coffee cans! Good for a million miles easy!
Me: Congratulations.
Him: I ordered my Smarty today. I can't wait to ROLL SOME COAL all over the place when it gets here. Its going to be AWESOME. I'm going to blow your ass away when we race. I know a good road not far from here we can race.
Me: I didn't realize we were racing. I never said my truck was fast. 14.1@ 93 MPH with a 80HP tune. I said that's not bad for a 7,000# truck. But okay, we can race it it will make you happy. How fast do you think your truck will be (its a stick shift ) with your Smarty cranked all the way up?
Him: Should be in the 11s easy.
Me: 11s, huh? I'll put $100 on that.
Him: That'll be the easiest $100 I ever made! You're going to get SMOKED in more ways that one!
Me: Okay, well you let me know when you want to line up. Should be like taking candy from a baby, right?
Him: Well even if your truck is faster, mine will out tow yours any day.
Me: How so?
Him: That's common knowledge. Everybody knows the Cummins will out tow anything on the road.
Me: Again, how so, specially.
Him: Mine has way more low end torque so I can tow a heavier load up steeper hills and use way less fuel than you.
Me: How much more torque and how much less fuel?
Him: More than double the torque, and that's on my stock tune. I bet I use half the fuel you do towing the same load.
Me: I'm sure it does. Congratulations again.
Him: By the way, I got 26 miles per gallon on a 7 hour road trip from Michigan to Kentucky driving 75 miles per hour the whole time. Let's see your import motor Duramax junk do that!!!!
Me: I just can't compete with that. Your truck is absolutely amazing. I'm so envious. Did you know that Duramaxes are made in Ohio?
Him: What?
Me: Yes, they are made in Moraine, Ohio.
Him: Doesn't matter, they were designed by Isuzu. Japanese junk!
Me: Its actually a partnership between GM and Isuzu. Isuzu and GM have been partners for years. Isuzu designed the architecture and GM designed the electronics. And last time I checked, the Japanese have a pretty damn good reputation about the engines they design.
Him: Rice burning JUNK!
Me: I'll ask again..... how specifically are they junk?
Him: Common knowledge man, everybody knows that.
Me: Ugh, I think we need to get back to work now. You can just walk. I wouldn't want you to have to ride in my junk again.

See less See more
#50 ·
I saw a guy last week on Walton in a lifted black dodge cummins (looked retarded) with a huge exhaust or tip, couldn't really tell. At every stop light he had to creep up on the car in front of him and "roll coal". As soon as he seen me in my truck he was thinking OH MAN I GOTTA LET HIM KNOW I HAVE A DIESEL!

On that note, I just bought my truck a few weeks ago. I was driving through Macon and it was getting dark. A guy in a newer GMC lifted diesel with an exhaust was behind me and then pulled up next to me. Again, another diesel douche noticed I had a diesel truck and had to gun it at the light to show off his loud exhaust and gay truck.

#51 ·
All my buddies have cranked up dmax's. I have a '99 F350 for towing, and when they blow me shit. I just remind them that I'm the only f'n one who uses their truck to actually do WORK!

Chris in this area, there are ALOT more Duramax fans/drivers than Cummins...

The Arctic Cat/flatbiller/D&D analogy is amusing. I grew up a half mile from D&D in NY, ride Cat and they're my cousins. I'll have to see if they have any flat bills in stock next time I'm home...:finger:

#52 ·
I pulled my TJ with 1700lbs of steel stock split between the trailer and bed of my truck on a steel decked car hauler from GR to Petoskey with my 187K+ mile 2005 GMC 1500 5.3L. I wasn't the fastest thing out there but I was able to do 65 mph highway with no difficulty. I got 9.7mpg on the trip which surprised the hell out of me. I see no need for a diesel for what I use my truck for. I used to think I needed a 6.0, turns out the 5.3 is fine. Big trucks are dumb. :teehee:

#53 ·
Yep the newer trucks will handle way more than most people give them credit for. When I was downsizing from my diesel I went back and forth in my head a dozen times between 1/2 and 3/4 ton. I wanted the 3/4 ton for the stronger trans and heavier duty suspension and axles, but I didn't NEED it. I found the right deal so ended up with 3/4 ton, but a 1/2 ton would still handle the vast majority of what I need a truck for. I'm sure the same goes for 75% of the people with diesels too.

#54 ·
I towed my son's 98 Buick from Newport to Eastpointe with my 300 CID six/5speed F150 with a weak clutch slave cylinder, no problem.

Big fukkin deal.

I get a laugh of of guys who spend $60k or more on a diesel 1 ton truck and then won't even put a sheet of plywood in the bed for fear of scratching it.

#55 ·
I had a half ton before this truck and I really liked it. Wouldnt have mind buying another one that was newer.

I bought a 3/4 ton because I really wanted a crew cab and I NEED at least a 6.5' box so my only options were a heavy half which are overpriced or a 3/4.

I went with Diesel because I could afford it and I really enjoy the power. Do I need a diesel? Nope, do I like it? Yep!

I have towed a lot more than most of the kids I know that are diesel douches.

#56 ·
My new Ecoboost does just fine pulling my 2500# trailer with a YJ that weighs around 5000#. This little engine is amazing very flat torque curve and has no problem running 70mph while towing. It is averaging 11.3 mpg while doing so also over a total distance of ~ 2500 miles towing. I even had to load the 2001 Powerstroke up on that trailer once when it burst a brake line and tow it home, the little engine didn't hardly know it was there. and last summer I was on vacation and got 23.7 mpg with it on the highway (unloaded of course) . I filled topped off the tank in Houghton, Mi. in the U.P. and drove all the way home in Kazoo County without having to get fuel again and the display still showed 223 miles to empty. Mine has the 36 gallon tank I love it .

#57 ·
I have a 3/4 ton Duramax LBZ crew cab. The main reason I bought it was to tow my 30' enclosed snowmobile trailer out to Wyoming to snowmobile. We drive straight through so the truck is running for like 18-20 hours straight. I just thought a diesel is better suited for that kind of towing. Will a gasser do it. Yep. Will a 1/2 ton do it. Yep and I have done it with a 1/2 ton.

With that said If I was buying a truck just to drive back and forth to work and an occassional trip towing to the U.P. I would get a 1/2 ton gasser for economic reasons. I can buy gas cheaper than I can diesel. Our 09 1/2 ton suburban gets 21 MPG on highway trips and 16 or better in town. IN the long run cheaper to drive a 1/2 fuel wise and they cost less.

I love my duramax but I new 1/2 ton gasser is a nice ride as well.

#58 ·
I bought my 03 Crew Cab Short bed super duty F350 Single rear wheel last July. Had 80 sumthin thousand miles on it. Came with a 7.3 in it and I love it. I don't tow a lot with it right now, but whenever I do, I'm really glad I bought it. I plan on keeping it and maintaining it for a long time and I know in the future I will be towing a lot more with it. It feels a lot safer towing with it than my old Z-71.

In a year, the only thing I have had to replace has been a ball joint and a brake line. I ended up preventatively replacing all 4 balljoints, steering u joints and new seals on the frontend when I did that bad ball joint.

This thing has been great. Only shitty thing is the typical rust that I've got goin on over the real wheelwells.

My point I want to make though is this....The week I bought it, I brought it home and had a buddy with a cummins stop by when I was detailing it. Very first thing he says to me. "Oh, you got the 7.3? It's gotta be an 02. Everybody knows they didnt make the 7.3 in 2003."

After I reassured him that it was an 03, and not to believe everything they put in the magazines, he did some quick homework on his notsosmartphone.....his next argument he worked in on was that "OH YOU HAVE POWDERCOATED RODS! THEY WON'T LAST! YOU CAN'T THROW MORE THAN 400 HORSE AT THEM!"

AGain, I reassured him that I was keeping it stock for a long time. A very long time. He just blank stared at me and asked me why I would want to keep it stock. I just stopped talking to him for the rest of the day about it because he just reinforced what everyone on here is saying about Cummins owners. Oh, and his truck.......sitting up 6 inches on rockstars with toyo MTs. Won't touch mud with it. SMH. FUckin bro's. :fish:

#61 ·
as a previous cummins owner, I never bragged or got into all that high hp, break shit, or roll coal or tromp on it every light, in fact when I drove it I always wanted to save as much fuel as I could and make the tank last. New owner asked me things like "how fast does it go?" Its not a fucking race car, its a diesel truck ment to tow things and work and I always treated as such but this new "trend" is pretty gay, pretty soon there wont be much of any stackless diesels out there :sonicjay:

#62 ·
I'm a lot like you I had mine modded quite a bit but every mod I made was done after researching what kind of mpg gain was typically associated with the mod if throttle modulation was used. I always tried to better my fuel economy. I have been guilty though of rolling some coal. There was an instance when my father and I were going to a movie, it was a warm summer day and there was an import full of teenagers zigzagging in and out of both lanes of traffic. They ended up beside me in the right lane at a stoplight and had some rap crap playing real loudly with their windows down. My father and I looked over at them and they just started laughing. I told my father, "watch this", as the light was about to turn green I held the brake a bit and made some boost as the light turned I let it rip and filled the whole inside of their car with black smoke. You could not even see them inside it anymore. My dad laughed harder than I have ever seen before, in fact he kept snickering during the movie. The only other time I laid some real smoke was on a bicycle rider who refused to ride in the freaking bike lane and held me at 20 mph for about a mile as I couldn't get around him as there was so much oncoming traffic. When traffic cleared enough I put it in program 3 and smoked him out so bad he had to stop his bike and watched him try and cough up a lung.

#81 ·
Anytime i hear some idiot rambling on about how great their truck is no matter the brand, i say "hey light duty, let me know when your truck can pull a 50,000 lb trailer up a 7% grade" they always look at me weird. I explain i drive a real truck. one made specifically for pulling heavy loads, and built to run a million miles trouble free. Granted you have the hater groups in the Heavy truck field too such as cummins, cat, and detroit diesel guys but really anything under 26,000 gvwr is light duty to me.

#87 ·
That was kinda my point. No matter how badass your brand of truck is there is always something bigger or better that will do a better job. I don't see why guys who drive any of the big three's trucks think their particular brand is better than the competitors vehicles. they all have pros and cons. And people who trash talk on the others somehow think it makes their dick bigger.

#89 ·
No matter how badass your brand of truck is there is always something bigger or better that will do a better job.
"Bigger" does not mean does the job better. Daily driving a semi to work and the grocery store so I can tow with it once a month would be pretty retarded. Not to mention all the extra cost and fuel of towing with one. There is nothing on the road more suited to my needs than a "light duty" diesel pickup.

#90 ·
my superduty would be better with a cummins in it, hooked to a zf 5 spd. everything seems to break, have different issues. i had to put a motor in my truck at 182k becuase the previous owner i assume beat the crap out of it. somehow #8 cyl cracked and hydrolocked the motor. seems like a common 7.3 problem if the coolant is too acidic. eats away at the block. people that brag about how good this and that is irritate me. my truck ran a 16.01 at martin dragway lol it was supercool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.