Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Full Size Broncos - front axles

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Jrod-13 
#1 ·
Is it worth it to look at anything after '79? I'd like to get a FSB, but don't know how to lift (or even deal with) a TTB setup? Not worth doing? Maybe a K5 instead?

#2 ·
Having switched from an XJ to a '94, the TTB setup isn't all that bad. Lift kits are relatively easy and plentiful for these trucks. Just stay away from anything drop bracket and you should be fine.
I personally want to SAS my truck however the people at fullsizebronco.com have pretty much shot down every logical idea I could come up with. They have itemized write-ups on how to do such a thing but holy crap they blow money. We are talking like 3-4000 dollars to SAS one of these trucks.
For the most part these trucks come with D44 TTBs, which if you look in the axle section of this forum you'll see a great list of axles including this setup and much info on it.

#4 ·
the one down side you'll find with the TTB's is they don't stay aligned, especially after lifting and bigger tires. I loved my 86 with body lift and 33's, never broke anything on it, even after jumping it on accedent on dunes. the hardest part on doing suspension lift on them is doing drop brackets for crossmember mount of front axle.

#5 ·
With my bronco I just sold I had my share of issues but its easy to work on. I had a 96 wich has the second generation of the ttb. My truck had a 6" suspension lift with 3" body and 37" tires. I would not recommend tires that big. Dont go over a 35". In 3 years I replaced the ball joints once and wheel bearings several times. I tried several brands and until I bought the timkens I would go through a set in 3 months. Once I had the timkens I just greased every 2-3 months and evertime I went wheeling just to be safe. With the 37" tires I was always breaking axleshafts when wheeling.

All in all they are great trucks but you are just limited to how big you can go or you will always have problems. Most places dont know how to align a ttb properly. They will fix the toe but not the camber. All they need to do is install the correct camber sleeve on top of the top ball joint. I miss mine everyday. I loved having the top off.

#7 ·
There is probably a couple hundred guys on FSB that have wheeled there trucks with drop brackets. MOST people use them. Including some guys who have jumped pretty substantially. With no problems.

The TTB is no weaker than a solid 44. It gives up a little bit of articulation to the solid axle, but rides better on road and off.

You can upgrade the stock TTB 44 with a Dana 50 center section from the F250's, and a Dana 50 inner U-joint.

#9 ·
There is probably a couple hundred guys on FSB that have wheeled there trucks with drop brackets. MOST people use them. Including some guys who have jumped pretty substantially. With no problems.
I guess I was going out on a limb there. The TTB Rangers run into that problem all the time and are almost universally agreed upon to not bother using them and spend another $100-$200 on the better kits.

Which I still stand by my recommendation.

#8 ·
On my Bronco, I believe it has a Full-Traction extended arm lift (I bought it like this) and the only thing that was said was that the center mount or whatever on the axle is dropped down. I guess my friend said that that drop piece is kind of a weak point, of course I don't know if I should believe him. He ripped a steering box from the frame I think from that drop bracket there or something. I didn't get the whole story.

#10 ·
I had 3 of the early TTB trucks and beat the crap out of them, climbing nasty rutted out hills at an old gravel pit, most other vehicles would not go near them. I used 2" lift coils in the front and add a leafs in the rear. I ran 32's on them until they were rusted then cut away the rust and ran 35's. I wore out one set of ball joints. I used the adjustable caster camber eccentrics on the upper ball joint for alignment and had no issues with keeping them aligned. I also installed a set of air lift air bags inside the front springs to adjust the ride height when I ran the winch on a removable mount. I did things with those trucks that none of my other Broncos would do. I have owned 66,72,73,77(2),78 79,81 & 84(2) Broncos and the 81 saw more abuse than all of the others combined. Unlees I was rockcrawling or wanted to run something bigger than a 35 I wouldn't bother with a SAS.

#14 ·
Well, I wouldn't be planning on running anything bigger than 35's, maybe 33's even, so sounds like it is very doable. Just used to solid axles, didn't want to get into something that I would regret.

Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely do some more research on it!

#18 ·
I should know in a couple weeks how a mild setup will work.

78-79 springs, stock replacements from JBG. They are 270-something lbs per inch, and stock in the TTB Broncos is 337lbs or 360lbs

These combined with TJ spring seats and retainers from Ruffstuff, should net about 2.5" of lift.

I'll have pictures of what you need to do to the TTB to run the earlier springs later this week if your interested.

I'm also going to install a used set of 2.5" lift rough country drop brackets.
Doetch Tech Pre-Runner shocks for a 4" lift, relocated bumpstops, (for more uptravel without much lift) and extended radius arms.

I suspect it will move nicely on the trails, and ride nicely on road too.

Currently it's all stock, trimmed fenders and 35's

#21 ·
After redoing my Flareside, I will never put a body lift on this model Ford again(bronco or f150) if it is to be used in Michigan during the winter.
I could show you pictures of the structural damage in just 5 years. Its cheap and fairly easy to do, but not worth it if you want to stay safe and/or keep the vehicle out of the scrap yard.

#24 ·
I have two full size broncos a 94 and a 95 I am going to be totally straight with you. body lifts are stupid all you gain is more room for tires your frame is in the same spot. I have a 4 inch BDS on my 94 and a six inch 0n my 96 the lift kits are very simple i have had my 94 for awhile and ran it stock for a couple years planning on doing a lift then when i did the lift noticed the stock center bracket was torn. Please listen to this it is worth every penny to do a suspension lift the quality of the brakets are amazing where the stock brackets are just stamped out peices of crap. Please give me a call i would love to go into more detail.
Thanks Ben
616-889-1993

#25 ·
Honestly, I wouldn't waste any money on a TTB lift.. its just throwing good money after bad.. A SAS is really no harder than a ttb lift, and cheaper too..

Going rate on a 79' dana 44 is about $100, or less....

Move the factory radius arm brackets back to where the cab mounts are, weld on a track bar mount.. and bolt it in... it's really that easy..

Oh yeah, a set of used 4" 70's coils to clear the crossmember, and a 85-97 F-350 draglink... it all bolts right in..

These trucks drive/handle/wheel so much better with a solid axle its not even funny..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.