Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Hot trans? Tranny Tom?? Diesel 4R100 Superduty

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  skife 
#1 ·
I "think" my transmission (4R100) in my 02 7.3 Superduty is running hot. Here's a light background on it.

Truck has 145k, transmission is stock, never had any issues with it until this winter when the factory trans cooler broke. I ran low on fluid a time or 2 but dont believe any damage was done as it still shifts like normal and the temp during this winter never got above 170. I finally replaced the broken cooler with a much larger Ford 6.0 trans cooler and refilled the trans.

I drove my truck from White lake to Milford and then back yesterday and was nearing 170. I have an aftermarket trans temp gauge that has always been reliable. Is this cause for alarm? I havent noticed any slipping or weak shifts since installing the new cooler. Could i have fucked something up, not enough fluid ... or are things working as they should. What should be a normal operating temp for a transmission? I think i read normally 100ish degrees over outside air temp. I just want to make sure I dont smoke a $2000 trans.

#2 ·
170 is nothing. Start being concerned when you hit 200 empty, or 230 towing.

Keep in mind, a lot of systems use engine coolant to help cool the trans fluid... and the engine coolant usually runs 190-210.

#9 ·
Stop whining, keep driving.. :teehee:
Seriously your trans is fine.

#10 ·
i think hes just trying to get out of helping me tomorrow hauling the fire wood :sonicjay::chauncy:

#14 ·
If you are concern then check cooler to made sure they isn't clogged.

Change fluid and filter would give you peace mind.

170oF that is nothing compare to 260oF I drove for 300 miles in F350 that got 9 mpg due torque convertor blew up. It had 219,000 when it blew up. Fluid were extremely brown and very stunk that tran shop open their bay door to vent.

Before tran blew up. It was running little hotter. Like outside 40oF It would read 160-180 that were easier drive plus tons of coast. Keep rpm down 2K.

Rebuilt tran with lower stall triple billet torque convertor. 1K load and drive manic it 150oF in 60oF. with new cooler mount on front of ac condsor near hood. Factory cooler are sit on bottom of bumper there no air flow though that. Stupid design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.