Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

The poor mans toy hauler

16K views 85 replies 41 participants last post by  Mclovin 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, after one winter season running the buggy, I couldn't believe how much rust there was on everything… mainly caused by towing it on an open trailer through salt covered roads, so I decided to get an enclosed.

I ended up with a 24 foot haulmark 10,000 capacity. The trailer empty weighs 4400 lbs, leaving me 5600 lbs to play with, which should be plenty. I got a great deal on it since the passenger side was lightly dragged along a telephone pole or something. It doesn't look brand new, but for $2500 I couldn't complain. It doesn't leak at all, and pulls great(other than weighing waaaaay too much empty).

The plan is to rip out the front cabinets that are in it, and finish the front with a bed, TV, tool chest, part chest, radio, maybe a mini-fridge and a storage area for an air compressor, welder, etc. It already has 110V running through it and 5 halogen lights, but I'm going to change a lot of that around too, plus add some 12V lighting and 2 aux batteries.

stay tuned, the build will start next week!

See less See more
#9 ·
yup, adding a lot more roof vents and a screen door. maybe a roof AC unit if I can find one at a RV junkyard

#11 ·
ok, cooler it is... but a TV is a must have to watch wheelin videos when it is raining out

#12 ·
Good for you! I'm on my second enclosed trailer and I love it! There are those that say it is too much to haul but having the work shop in the front is fabulous. Of course, they are the first people to come and say "can I use your vise?":sonicjay:

As simple and silly as it sounds, it's great to have a changing room. There have been times where we come back to the trailer and are covered with mud or snow. A quick change into clean clothes and it's back to my heated leather seats in my truck.:thumb:

#15 ·
I originally wanted an 18-20 footer... this one was advertised as a 20 footer... they are hard to find older though.

That is sweet, I have been looking for one also. You still selling the truck, or use this behind the truck?

it is still for sale, but no hurry to sell it now.

#26 · (Edited)
nothing really to add...

figured out why the PO couldnt get the lights to work... that took 2 minuted to fix...
gutted the crap that was in it and have a descent idea of what I want to do

#38 · (Edited)
I have the layout pretty much done, besides one hinged table that would fold off of the wall. I'll add that later if I need it.

The tool chest is on castors so that comes out for easy access, and the top then is a table/work bench. The bed is just an inflatable full size (double) bed, $22 from target. The TV was free (already had it). The DVD/CD/stereo was $50 on craigslist. I had to buy about $20 in lumber so far... Also fixed the side door that wouldn't open since the side was dragged...

The extra room under the bed is for the welder and small air compressor, which will both be easy strapped to the floor for transporting. The bed is high enough that I can also sit under the bed on my camping chair.

NOW it's time for paint, then hooking up the surround sound and 12V lighting!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.