Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Drag racer thread

5K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  Acasper708 
#1 ·
I have seen a couple posts about people here out racing and since I was a hardcore drag racer before I ever even owned a 4x4 I was wondering who else on here has a fast set of wheels and is into racing. I only got into off roading for something to do between racing seasons and somehow the off roading took over the majority of my time and money so up until the past couple years the "racing" part of me took a backseat.

If you got a fast ride post it up! Wouldnt mind running into some of you guys if we are at the track together. Milan and Norwalk are where I will spend most of my time. I do have one big trip planned to Bristol Tn at the end of Aug for a big 2.3t Shootout at the Fun Ford Weekend race that weekend.

Currently this is what you will see me at the track with.

My 88 Ranger I completely rebuilt from the frame up. Has a built 2.3 turbo motor,stand alone ECM,huge front mount intercooler,HX35 Holset turbo,T5 trans,narrowed 8.8 with 31spline Aubrun Pro and 3.55s. Serious suspension,custom interior,new everything with no expense spared.....Oh, and I drive it to work almost everyday 100miles round trip.

Hoping to make it to Milan in the next couple weeks for its first test. Shooting for low 12's or high 11's off the trailer and ultimately putting it in the 10's at over 120mph.

So lets see some other rides.....

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow thats alot of truck for a 10bolt! Whats it run?

Your post/vids are what got me thinkin Firehawk....

That was a nice 14 second Mavrick!

#6 ·
Never ran it legally at a strip. That 10 bolt is the strongest 10 bolt i have ever seen. I have abused it over and over and even snapped both my ladder bars. Even with a set of 15 1/2" wide sticky Mickey's it pulls the front tires and the axle holds strong !

#8 ·
Thanks. Actually when I tore it apart the plan was to install a 410w with a 75mm turbo I had,lay down 800+ and go drag radial racing but somewhere during the build I decided having a 2600lb truck with 400+hp and 24mpg{best so far} would be alot more fun and I would get alot more enjoyment out of being able to jump in it and go anywhere anytime in it. Mission accomplished.

No dyno yet or time slips. In the middle of swapping to a different turbo since my first one wasnt a good match and had compressor surge problems.Should be ready in a week or so.

Here a short vid when we were datalogging tryin to figure out the surge issues.You can faintly hear the fluttering sound top of 3rd and 4th.Its a real power killer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm5Lwj4YmhY

#12 ·
This is my "drag racer"...obviously not 1/4 mile, mostly racing on the flats at the dunes, but the plan is to start racing at the 300' sand tracks this summer. I wouldn't mind taking it on a few 1/8 mile passes at Milan either.

It's a Raptor 700, bored and stroked to a 770cc with a comp oil-less turbo...it should put down around 130 rwhp at 15psi, and weigh in a little under 350 lbs full of fluids. I hope to have it all wrapped up and dyno tuned before memorial weekend, but nothing on this build has went smooth or by schedule so far.

#13 ·
I used to bean avid drag racer, had my own 11 second street car after I graduated H.S. I also helped a couple of bracket racers for quite a few years, then was crew chief on a blown alchohol Top Dragster. We ran the Ihra circuit in the late 90's, had a lot of fun and did quite well racing also. Got out of it quite a few years ago to focus on family time.
Now I spend the weekends at the dunes and enjoy the Longtravel car , but will get back to the track again at som point.

#14 ·
I haven't moved the cover off my Camaro in ten years. After years of bracket racing the paint was getting rough . I remember waiting in line at Stanton on the asphalt in near 90 degree temps with a helmet on thinking this is crazy. The next week I bought a speed boat.
My youngest daughter is sixteen in July and shes begging me to get it out. I keep telling her the Manual auto trans and spool sucks on the road.
Here it is in the corner....

#19 ·
Here is my car, started as a thrft recovery car, mostly just a shell. I did everything on the car but paint. First motor was a 408W that went 10.20's. Sold that motor and built the current 420W. Has been a traction limited 9.82 With only a 1.41 sixty, my old 408 went 1.3x's.

runs on E85, C4, drag radials.

More of a career T&T guy, have raced it a few times but mostly just drive it in the summer and hit the track a few times a year.

Motor is apart right now, I am doing a little freshen work and I re-wired the complete car, new ign sys.

I hope to have it back up and running in a few weeks, been waiting for 2 months for my lifters and just got work Friday they finally shipped.

#21 ·
The Jeep in my avatar......
Ran it at MMM a couple times. Stock frame CJ5, so I was a little scared to go full on, even out of the hole (at the time I was running a D44)
Went 1.7 60', so those of you who know, know how soft of a launch it was. Went out about 100' before going WOT. Went 109MPH to the 1/8. Let off after the 1/8 mile, just playing with the throttle a little. Went 10.70's doing that. I'll find a picture of it on drag radials to throw up.

#22 ·
Love the Convo Pros on a foxbody!

Been thinkin of letting my AutoDrags go and pickin up a set of Convos or Warriors.

#28 ·
#32 ·
Well I finally got to take it to Milan for the first time. What a horrible day! :sonicjay:

My dam 2step wouldnt work so I was launching at 5500 and it would dead hook and fall on its face. No boost at launch=no fun. 60ft times were in the 2.28-2.43 range.

Truck was pig rich {10.1afr} and it wouldnt go into 4th gear under power.Had to let rpm drop and fight shifter to get it into 4th. That just killed the topend.Only picked up 7-8mph from the 1/8th...thats shitty for a turbo motor.

Best pass was a 13.11 @ 108mph

Goin back next week with a new clutch and a working 2 step.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.