Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

48' Crawler Hauler build up

56K views 151 replies 68 participants last post by  akozman 
#1 · (Edited)
I put this on Pirate also, but figured I peek in here and show ya'll what I've been up to lately. Don't spend much time online anymore with 2 little kids but had to share this. For the last 3 or 4 years I've been drooling on my buddy Dar's crawler hauler that he built (he's in SMRC with me, 26' bunkhouse & 12' deck) and after we went tent camping with the kids this last 4th of July we swore off ever doing that again. So I did some searching on Pireate and found the Mobile Marriot & Texas Dick's builds and picked up some ideas from them also. So I've been spending the last 3 weeks working long weekends with friends & my bro on my wife's camper & my trailer as she puts it, lol. We're getting somewhere, should be setting the camper on the new frame this Friday. Right now paint is drying from this weekend.

Started with a 2005 Dutchmen Classic 28' Bunkhouse to hold my wife, 3yr & 1yr old. This should provide us with years of usage. It is ~48', 16' of deck with in floor storage 8'x6'x14", triple axle.

Back from Sand Blasting

All painted, got a nice epoxy primer and urethane paint

build pics are uploading..............

See less See more
#69 · (Edited)
well, alumninum for the wheel wells is on it's way. I ordered it from an RV dealer my sis in-law works at, so I got a deal, really I did. But the stupid f'n company that sells the replacment pieces painted to match only sells them in 15' pieces, won't cut it in half so it could go UPS/Fedex, so I got to bend over for about $200 in truck freight & crating , stupid blood sucking SOBs!!!!! It's barely 1/4 of that for the aluminum. I was gonna have a piece rolled, but by the time I dick around with finding a place, going to get it, having it painted I'd have that much into it.

Only issue so far, electric landing gear, it doesn't like the extra weight. The e-motor hooks to a gear reduction box that is torquing around like crazy and skipping teeth once in a while like a flex plate missing a tooth so I gotta figure something out there.......bummer, there goes my generator $, gotta send my wife to the street corner again hope she doesn't come back with another kid cause I'll need a bigger Jeep, good thing I built the trailer to fit an LJ.

#79 · (Edited)
I went to the scales today, numbers were right in line with what I was figuring.

TOTAL WEIGHT 26,040, that's without water, supplies, extra parts. I figure another 2500lbs for that stuff.
Empty trailer weighed 12,640lbs :D
Jeep weighed 5200 (1/4 tank fuel, no gear & just me)
Truck weighed 8200 (1/2 tank fuel, me, 85 pound pouch, floor jack & jack stands aka cinder blocks :flipoff2:)
Pin weight with Jeep on 3100lbs, didn't even make 100lbs difference moving the jeep back 1.5'
Pin weight without the Jeep 4200lbs, that's getting a little heavy but the only time I'll be doing that is in state so I can live with that or just bring the Jeep because I can :D:D:D.

Couldn't be happier with these numbers it's just what I figured they would be.

#81 ·
Gotta have steps to get ontop of the deck, it's 37" off the ground

Lots of lights & ramp storage, bumper matches the Jeep. all about the little things.

Already had the spare tire mount just moved it back a hair

Need to throw the insulation back on the bottom

Ran out of time to get interior pics, had to change the oil in the truck & replace block heater since it's getting cold here. Then I had to adjust the overhead door to fit the crawler hauler back in the shop without hassle.

Few things left to finish it up:
finish plumbing the 2nd water tank (and probably put a 3rd in)
replace landing gear
re-install insulation on bottom
install generator (getting Dar's old Honda EU3000) & small fuel cell to feed it more

#89 ·
Thanks man, lots of time still recovering from the lack of sleep.

Bringing it down tonight?
I guess you figred that one out, good seeing you .

You wre in freeland and dindt stop by? Thats messed up! :finger:
you're the one that didn't want to ride down to the party with us tonight :finger:

I thought that looked like Freeland Bean and Grain!
The rig turned out awesome Andy :rock:
Thanks man, they were cool over at bean & grain, normally they charge $5 a weigh but they said they would've felt bad taking $30 from me so they only charged 1/2. I was on that scale like a striper on brass.

Wow that turned out Great!
Thanks!

I wouldn't have stopped by either.:fish:
you're wiser than you look :poke:

Great job, very well done! :thumb:
Thanks....been a while how's it been going still in Flushing area and have the TJ?

#90 ·
where did you get the steps and do they feel solid fully opened?

#92 ·
looking good, I was talking to Roger in China this morning...He really liked the hydro ram in the front....if you can find one cheap, that would be a slick way to go...the best part is , it is completely independent of the other system....Belt and suspenders approach I always say. Heres a pic of the old setup, this is the pic they used in the Diesel Power writeup....you way surpassed my old rig...I was always wincing, wondering when / if my gooseneck was going to fail...that complete additional frame is the way to go.

Attachments

#93 ·
BTW not to make you feel bad...but I bought two peices of alum siding for 10 bucks, that did not match the camper, and hand beaded (rolled) the lines to match the style of the camper, then bought a pint of paint color matched to a scrap I had cut out for the fram for 6 bucks....they told me the same thing...40-50 bucks for the aluminium, and 200 plus to ship it...what a ripoff.

#98 ·
ya, you suck! That's why you should cut me a better deal on that generator :sonicjay:

But Andy's loaded so it's no big deal.
problem is, that's no longer true after this build. My wallet hurts right now!

your jeep has a 12" C channel bumper ?? wow talk about overkill!
it's 10", lmao.

Very nice build! I have had something like this rolling around in my head for the past few years, but on a lighter and smaller scale. So what engine does that tow rig have, 6.0 or 7.3? How does it handle the load? MPG's all loaded up (if you have had it on the road long enough to get any numbers)?
Thanks! It's got a 7.3, picked it up Easter weekend knowing I was going to do this build. I've only put about 50 miles on it so no mileage numbers but it handles AWESOME, it really is amazing. After 1 or 2 trips I'll know if I need airbags but right now I'm saying no...we'll see how that is.

makes me and my rusty XJ with the rear seat folded down and the sleeping bag in the back look like a guy who lives in an XJ down by the river.
Been there, we took a major leap on this one went straight from a tent to the 5th wheel. I learned my lesson on buying what you want the first time since I've been through 3 trucks in 3 years, if I would've just spent $5k extra 3 years ago on a dually I would've had it paid off already. Live & learn (or hopefully learn).

#96 ·
Very nice build! I have had something like this rolling around in my head for the past few years, but on a lighter and smaller scale. So what engine does that tow rig have, 6.0 or 7.3? How does it handle the load? MPG's all loaded up (if you have had it on the road long enough to get any numbers)?

#101 ·
Don't drive like an idiot and 95% of the time you will be perfectly fine. Illinois is one of the Nazi Gestapo states though. I've heard that Wisconsin is bad too. I never follow the truck speed limit in MI either. So far I've been lucky. I'm sitting at about 63' and drove through both Illinois and Indiana, but that has been a few years ago though.

#103 ·
Thanks! Jim mentioned it but I'm to broke from this, go figure it's over budget & over my contingency budget too....but that just the generator I'm getting for it. I'd love to since I may not ever make it before they close moab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.