Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Opinions on Powertrax lockers

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  C.K. 
#1 ·
What are your opinions on the Powertrax No slip Traction System Lockers?

#9 ·
No i only ran the power trax for a short time , when it unlocked it snapped so damn hard it would make the wheel assemble shudder . I talked to Koz and he said they shouldnt do that . It was warranted but i threw in Det ez lockers seems i have all ways had good luck with them .

Det ez , or lockrite . I can see no difference in them . I buy wich ever is cheaper at the time but make sure you change the cross pin . That bit me in the ass up in Grayling a year ago . Cross pin snapped and took out every thing , locker , gears and all .

#10 ·
Grandman said:
I ran one and didnt like it , had it replaced as defective and never reinstalled it . The one i had in there was really harsh , when it unlocked you would think somthing had snapped in half .:gman:

GreaseMonkey said:
Had it in my KJ, and it was great for a DD/wheeler. Doesn't make any noise, but you definately feel it working. Never had a problem with it not locking or un-locking. I ran it for about 30,000-40,000 miles. I used Royal Purple Synthetic 70w140 with it.
:confused: :confused: :confused: Sounds like Gman got the shaft, i dont think i ever hear Gmonks locker make a noise

#12 ·
monkeyevil said:
I have seen them all... I like the Aussie Locker design the most... and their prices are a little cheaper.

I've see 3 ez lockers with rounded teeth that wouldn't enguage properly.
yep the lock rites and the easy lockers chip the edges away and finally quit engaging. The powertrax usually is rougher on disengaging but they run no thrust washer, and eat the case. The Aussie looks just like the locrite/ same designer different company. And Aussie warranties there product for any tire size. All the others have a 33" tire size limit.

#13 ·
I've had one in my XJ for almost 3 years. Right when I put it in it busted off the tab on the alignment spacer or whatever it's called, then they warrantied it and gave me a new one. It seems like that happens to most people who put em in an 8.25, then no more problems after that. I used it for a year on 31s and a year and a half on 35s and it took everything I threw at it. It served me great for both DD and wheeling. It only had the harsh engagement/disengagement like 10 times the whole time I've run it. Very predictable and nice to have. Pretty quiet and smooth too. I wouldn't hesitate to put one in a DD again.
I have yet to run an Aussie locker, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. If I buy another lunchbox locker that'll be it. Great price, great warranty, and from what I've heard great dependability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.