Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Converting rear Ford D60 to 6x5.5 and disc brake?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  95geo 
#1 ·
I have a late 70's single rear wheel full floating Ford D60 rear axle that needs to be converted to 6x5.5 and disc brake. It is going to be narrowed a bit so the shafts will be custom anyways and I assume could just be ordered to 6x5.5. What are my options and could any of you guys provide some recommendations/direction aside from the 1200.00 kit that "solid axle" provides. If possible I'd like to keep it full floating.
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
It is going to be narrowed a bit so the shafts will be custom anyways and I assume could just be ordered to 6x5.5.
Why would you specify a bolt pattern for a full-floating shaft?

#10 ·
moser shafts
ballistic 3" slip on housing ends opened up for 3 1/8" tube
dodge ram 13" rotors
wilwood D52 aluminum replacement calipers, dual 2.0" piston

You would have to pick your rotor for bolt pattern and wheel size.

The setup above is for 5 on 5.5" and 17" wheels. Tried balancing component quality with price and performance. I think we chose the right components to meet the goal. Most people would choose different calipers though. ~$200 each with pads. The pads are wilwood brand and one of their middle of the road compounds good for cold performance. The brakes should be as good as a new vehicle with 30" tires compared to many other vehicles that have brakes that are barely enough to stop with big tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.