Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

*SOLD* Milodon Head Stud Kit - 1970-1991 AMC V8 - Roch Hills, MI

574 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  amundaza 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
These are basically new in the box. We started to install them on my 304 stroker, but ran into a couple of issues that were not known about BEFORE HAND, so I could not use them. Those 2 issues are ....

1) The nuts are large enough, that a socket can't be put on them when using the bridged rocker heads. The socket hits the casting embosses before fully engaging the nut. So, the heads have to be machined to fit the sockets ... Don't know if the screw-in stud heads are different, since their embosses are shorter (or non-existent).

2) The exhaust side head bolts stick up enough, that the header flanges need to be notched or cut away, to clear the bolt/nut.

On the above two issues, I already had my cylinder heads completely done and my headers were freshly ceramic-coated ... I wasn't going to go to the lengths needed to address these issues.

If anyone is interested in these for your race engine, these would be perfect ... for a street engine, you'll need to modify as listed above, to run them.

I'm asking $75 for them ... about 1/2 of what they cost new. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Greg Taylor
Rochester Hills, MI
1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2"
330" AMC stroker V8

See less See more
#3 ·
?1) Would you expect that I would run into similar clearance issues on a 360 head?

?2) What headers are you running? I have Heddman (look to be standard longtubes) and the flange is insignificant. I just can't see that being a problem with my setup unless the Milodons are much longer than stock.

This would be going an (assumed) '77 AMC 360 in a Wagoneer. Thanks.

#4 ·
Yes, you would have the same issues on the 360, unless it's a 70-74 with the screw-in rocker studs.

I have Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers ... the issue is that the stud sticks up farther than the stock head bolt and so the bottom of the flange needs to be ground to clear the stud ... this is in 3 locations on each cylinder head.

Sincerely,
Greg Taylor
Rochester Hills, MI
1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2"
330" AMC stroker V8

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.