Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

2005 Jeep Unlimited (LJ) "Slow Roast" build

56K views 276 replies 63 participants last post by  buttercr125 
#1 · (Edited)
At age 34 (I'm almost 40 now), I bought my first and only new vehicle ever - a 2005 LJ - as a spring/summer/fall daily-driver. I have always stored it in the winters, and driven a cheap "winter bomb" to keep the LJ out of the salt. I love the thing, and have pretty much babied it, to say the least (until more recently...read on).

Here's a stock shot of my LJ. Looking back, it looked pretty "wussy" on those stock-sized tires (not that it's huge now, but...). I also bought some OEM Rubicon rocker guards back in 2005, but have been too much of a puss to drill holes through the body to mount them. :teehee: Actually, I just haven't had the need for them up to this point, and installing them hasn't been a priority.

A couple years ago, when the Wrangler GS-As were starting to get a little slippery (plenty of tread left, but the compound got kind of hard/slippery), I sprung for some 31" BFG KM2s and a budget boost. It's a great set-up. The handling is still great, and the tires aren't horribly loud for being a mud-terrain design.

Enter a Fall 2010 visit to Rocks and Valleys with my daughters (met up there with Crawler and his wife). One word...ADDICTED! So were my daughters. Mira was begging me to get a locker so we could do the Black Diamond trails. :thumb:

Notice the custom "striping" on my door? It's a scratch that goes the full length of the driver door and into the quarter panel. I'll have to see if it'll buff out. It's the only real "carnage" (used very loosely) from the day. My girls were worried. They were like, "Dad, are you going to be OK?". It was all good.

So there it is. Upgrades will be simple weekend projects - nothing to pull too much of my time away from my family/girlfriend, nor working on Mira's XJ with her. For the haters, no I won't be selling it, and no, I won't be parting it out. :finger: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

More updates to come.

Craig

Current Plans/Status (updated 4/2/2012):

I want to give a H-U-G-E thanks to RockSolid Performance for all of the guidance, custom work, and great service. Thanks guys!

Full-Traction long-arm install under way...

Attachments

See less See more
#155 · (Edited)
I used my tax return money to order some stuff to help get this drawn-out project done. I want to give props to Jeff at Rokmen. The service and project guidance were excellent, and I'd highly recommend dealing with them. Rokmen seems to be the reigning king of low-COG TJ/LJ builds. If you haven't seen them, check them out HERE.

En route to me...

#165 ·
A quick update...

I'm currently getting all of my parts boxed up & labeled, and the good guys at RockSolid Performance will be picking up my LJ next week to get it wrapped up, hopefully by May 5th for the Blessing of the Jeeps in Mesick. :woot:

I did want to update the thread regarding a minor issue with the Currie front axle/H2 wheel combination for people who may find this thread in a search.

It's not stated on their website, but Currie recommends a maximum of 4 1/2" of wheel backspacing with their 1-ton knuckles (I found this out after the fact). When I went to mount my wheels, I found the cast steering arm on the knuckle does not clear the OEM H2 wheels. I was initially frustrated having spec'd out this axle based on using the H2 wheels - and their backspacing - when determining the ideal width for the axle housing. Because of the minimal lift, I didn't intend to run high-steer arms. I called Currie this week to let them know. They didn't seem to care, and said they built exactly what the shop told them to build. Apparently, there was a "communication gap" between them & the shop. I mentioned the idea of at least adding the minimum backspacing requirement to their (horrible to navigate) website so it might help the next guy. They didn't care about that either.

Bygones...RockSolid will get it straightened out for me. BJ @ RockSolid (not the shop where I ordered the axle) eased my concerns, and will set up the steering using a couple of their high-steer arms. Did I mention that he'll also be adding a PSC hydro-assist kit. :rock:

More updates on progress from the RockSolid Performance work to come soon...

Craig

#170 ·
get this together so you can break it.

I am wondering how you will react, you have been plugging money into the jeep to make an awesome rig,

We will have to post up a picture with a "would you wheel it" thread.

So I need to know, when you get it done, are you going to drive it to get ice cream on Saturday after noon, or

Would you wheel it.

#171 ·
WTF? :sonicjay: Yes, I plan on wheeling it. I've been to Rocks & Valleys (love the place!), and want to check out Twisted Trails after it's done.

That being said, my kids DO like ice cream, so it'll likely make an ice cream run or two, as well.

It still won't see winter driving/salt, though. I have a Honda Hybrid to handle those duties. :thumb:

Craig

#178 ·
he has some flares for it, maybe from aev. they are larger than stock so you can do some body trimming
Yes, the front/rear flares (measuring 6" wide) are from AEV, and came with the highline kit. As far as armor, I have aluminum rear trail corners (not full quarter armor). I'm undecided on rocker guards. I already have a set of new-in-box OEM Rubicon rocker guards, but don't know if I'm going to use them, or something stronger. I do like the looks of the stockers, and I already own them. Hmmmm....

Craig

#180 ·
Still unsure. I'll probably mount up the Rubicon ones as-is at this point. I could always change to something else down the road.

Front fenders are now installed, and it's looking sexier by the day! Next on the check-list...rear coil spring relocation.

#181 ·
Some small wins on the LJ (equating to big $$$ savings) Wednesday night. First of all, we confirmed that there will be plenty of room between the Dana 70U rear diff and the Rokmen fuel tank skid. The stock rear sway bar will also work beautifully, saving me big $$$ on a rear Anti-Rock (or something similar). BJ (Robert) over at RockSolid also determined a good mounting set-up for the rear shocks.

More progress to come this coming week. Next on the dockett...Rokmen rear coil spring relocation!

Craig

Gas tank removed from the Jeep (to fit for the new Rokmen skid plate).

We test-fit the Rokmen gas tank skid. Holy beautiful fittment! The Rokmen skid plate definitely adds some clearance behind the rear axle (and underneath). Great news...no need to relocate the tank rearward. There's plenty of space for the Dana 70U rear axle to clear. Woot!

#182 ·
AEV front flares installed...sexy! The rear flares will require extensive body cutting/grinding before mounting.

PSC hydro assist bling!

PSC steering box installed.

Thanks to Gordon at RockSolid for hooking me up with a used Warn winch plate, and 8274 winch! I'm very excited, as I hadn't given much thought yet to a winch choice. (I'm getting one of the two 8274s shown below.) The winch plate will likely be blasted/powdercoated before mounting.

Gordon at RockSolid making quick work of my rear spring bucket removal. Gordon also grinded them clean-'n-purty in about 5-10 minutes (something that quite literally would have taken me 1 1/2 hours, because I'm so anal-retentive about it...LOL). I told him I don't know whether to thank him, or be pissed that his skills are so much better (faster) than mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.