Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Ripped Off By "Sandmaster" aka Randy Johnson ***Updated ***Resolved ***

31K views 170 replies 65 participants last post by  greygoose 
#1 · (Edited)
This post is to inform others here on the forum about another member and how he has ripped me of on a sale and has refused to email or return my calls. The sale look place last Wed (1/23/12) and I feel I have given him ample time to respond. I put a wanted ad out for a Wide Track Dana 30 for a CJ. ( ) Sandmaster replied on Jan 15th @ 5:55pm with this-

“i have a complete dana 30 wide track from a 86 cj was completely gone trough a yr ago for a project and then never installed 4.10 gearing, locker, all new berings and seals, new lock outs, over sized chromoly heavy duty steering drag link and tie rod. new brakes and rotors. this is readyt to bolt in and go . make reasonable offer”

So I sent him a PM for details on the axles and what it was built with. He responded on Jan 16th @ 10:08pm with this-

“the tie rods are rugged ridge 1 1/4 dom tubeing with chromoly ends
the axle shafts are chromoly warn shafts
the ring n pinion are richmond
bearings were all timken
oem brakes and rotors
lockouts are superwinch
the locker is either a lock rite or aurbun i dont remember which one ill pop the cover off tomorrow when i get home and let you know which one is in there”

He got back with me about the locker on Jan 18th 11:02 PM with this-

“ya sorry didn’t get home in time yesterday. The locker is a lock rite locker, make a reasonable offer”

Based on what he told me was in the axle and that is was new never run I offered $500 he accepted.

I picked the axle up Wed night and Randy Johnson “Sandmaster” seemed like a nice enough guy and someone who had a lot of history with jeeps.
Friday night when I got home buddy and I got the axle in the barn and started taking it apart to check it out. First red flag was that when we pull the diff cover out came the gear oil all milky, and with a nice frozen chunk of ice under the ring/carrier. (remember back in his email he told me he had to pop the cover to check brand of locker?) Then I took the so called new Superwinch hubs off, passengers side had a mix of grease, water and rust inside, drives side had stripped out bolts but the axle grease looked good. We pulled the shafts out to see if we could find any identifying markings on them and sure enough the shafts are stamped “spicer” just like the stock set I have sitting in my barn. Then pulled the carrier to check the locker out. Pulled the locker apart and all the pins are sheared off! How does that happen in a never run axle? Overall the locker appears to be well used.

See picture-

So the truth- HD Tie Rod and Draglink, 4.10 gears (even though half covered with rust)

The Lie- Warn Chromly Shafts, used damaged locker (pins can be replaced), Used Junk Hubs, Axle has been used so all the bearings he claims as new are not.

His reply to my AD built 1 year ago and ready to bolt in and go. Not even close.

Appon further research for these other treads from his past of ripping people off-
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/bad-...randy-johnson-aka-jeepguynmich-maninjeep.html
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/got-screwed-seller-jeepforum-369039/
Anbody else screwed over by sandmaster? *LINK FIXED* - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

I have sent him 2 emails and called and left a few messages. All have been just asking him to call me so we can work this out. I have told him its not that I want all my money back and to return the axle but want some money back for what I did not get that he was selling me.

So buyers and sellers beware. Below is his contact information

Randy L Johnson
Lowell, Mi 49331

See less See more
1 1
#45 ·
ok folks, the guy in front of you is Tommy, he'll be taking you through my little shpeel here, Tommy is a Scorpio and he likes hiking and he has never been laid ... exits ... ok there is one back here and there is probably one over by the wing, somewhere, usually ... and what about seat belts, to fasten, take the little end and stick it in the big end and ... hey you know what, if you guys don't know how to use a seat belt, just ring your call button and Tommy will come back there and hit you on the head with a tack hammer 'cause you're a retard ...

#47 ·
so since you picked this up from him.you know where he lives? How about you pop on over one evening and see if it can be resolved. You know...since his phone is broken and all :roll eyes:

#48 ·
I have dealt with randy a few times. He isn't the cheapest guy in the world but he was always really easy to deal with and represented everything very well. It sucks you had a bad dealing with him but I would definitely deal with him again. Why didn't you inspect the axle before leaving with it? I never trust people about axles. They might not be trying to screw you, they may have unknowingly gotten screwed by the previous owner. Is it right he didn't communicate? Definitely no! maybe you should check parts out before paying for them though. Not trying to say he is right but you do need to take a little personal liability.

#54 ·
He did take some responsibility:

I will take the fault for not taking the cover off,..........
He even stated that Randy had good feedback, and with feedback like that, and post like yours, it certainty builds trust in the person you are buying from. That is what makes it worse when this situation happens, He thought he was buying form a trustworthy guy,

So where to you draw the line?

Well see what happens,....

#49 ·
So if this was a Jeep for sale which claimed to have built front and rear axles, 4:1 geats in the D300, aftermarket cam, upgraded speakers, carbon brakes and chromoly roll cage, should you have to take apart the Jeep, test the metal, remove the speakers, etc before buying it? Just curious where you draw the line. You are piling on and I think you are all full of poop.

#56 ·
Agreed... I wouldn't want to insult the seller by pulling the whole thing down in front of him. Think if you were a respectable seller, and some guy didn't take you on your word and started ripping shit apart in your driveway... Doesn't seem that realistic to even pull the cover when the guy seemed like an above board seller and he had already stated that he had "pulled the cover" to find out what locker was in it...

#58 ·
A whole jeep? No.

Pull a cover? Personally I would.

I'm not taking randys side, he was definitely in the wrong. If I was selling an axle like that I would have the cover already pulled so the buyer could inspect it before he bought it and if I didn't I wouldn't be butthurt if he asked to pull it.

#59 ·
And if I sold someone junk and wasn't aware of it I would make it right or give back the money for the junk part BY RESPONDING TO PM'S, TEXTS, OR PHONE CALLS!

But that is anyone wanting to stay in good standing in our marketplace.
I mean hell, most of us know each other one way form or fashion.

#68 ·
i remember when i sold my axles to ichy nether one of us pulled the cover when he picked them up . when he got home he did and terns out the front gears were junk . shit happens

#85 ·
I have delt with Randy a few times, he is very knowledgeable about Jeeps and I have bought a few things from him. I have never had an issue and he has always helped me out with questions I had. However, I sent a friend to him for a 4 banger yj motor and he said it was a good motor, and turns out it was junk after my buddy got it running. He never returned his calls about the motor either last I new, so I stopped dealing with him.

#88 ·
May be a little late. He lied to you why would he not lie to someone else? I bought a set of rims from him years ago and everything went smooth, he "seemed" like a very trustworthy/knowledgeable guy to be taken at his word so I understand you trusting him. Hope things work out for you.

#94 ·
its a soda a-hole ..................they are going to know your not from around there :teehee:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.