Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Project: What was I thinking (tracker build)

12K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  RDK_YJ88 
#1 ·
*Copy and pasting this from another forum.

After smashing the Jeep up pretty good at Snofari I decided to build something else to beat on, on the trails. I'll save the Jeep for the Dunes. So I ended up picking up a Tracker.

Specs:
1992 Geo Tracker 4x4
-5 Speed trans
-ghetto mud bogger lift
-4 stock tires that are junk
-Samurai front axle (bent) with Tracker 3rd/gears
-Factory tracker rear axle (full of water/mud)
-1.6l 8v FI
-clean body minus some dents
-cleanish frame minus some, well, keep reading
-Manual steering

It was advertised as a 1992 Geo tracker with 12+ inches of lift. Geared toyota axles. 4x4 needs work.

This is what came out of the rear axle. Muddy water.

Yes, I was the guy to buy "that thing". :teehee:
Turns out it actually had samurai axles, not toyota's, so I was able to get it alot cheaper. Its does run good other than an oil leak on the valve cover, and it also drives. The 4x4 doesn't work so I assume it is something in the front axle, probably full of mud/water just like the rear, but will have to look further into it.

Now for my plans.

-Remove the body lift, maybe keep a 1" body lift to keep the trans and tcase up high.
-Swap in new samurai axles with tracker gears.
-YJ's with all new mounts (no blocks)
-fuel cell
-power steering
-33" mud terrains
-lockers
-cage
-armor
-t-case gears
-To be determind...

My goal with buying this was that it was cheap, ran good, had a clean rust free body, and a clean frame. The old spring mounts are pretty small and should be easy to remove. I will eventually be going with toyota axles and depending on how I like the YJ's I may keep them, or link it.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
And under all the mud, is a frame! Well most of one. ugh... (also notice the 4x4 piece of wood as a rear body lift)

Only one body mount left in the back...

Passenger rear frame is bent/kinked. Hard to see in the pic, but this is the side that has the factory tow hook thingy. My guess is it was buried in the mud and the lack of rear corssmembers, caused the frame to bend when getting pulled out.

As more work arises towards the surface, I may need a little motivation to keep this from becoming like one of my other zuks, sold.

#9 ·
Thanks guys!

Finished welded the rear and set it down. Borrowed some 31s from my dads samurai to get an idea of what it will look like. Looks like with some trimming it will fits the 33s nicely. I hope...

Left to do on the rear:

-shocks and mounts
-brake lines
-bump stops
-limit straps
-Driveshaft
-rear most body mounts
-rear bumper to get rid of my wheel barrel handles :sonicjay:

#11 ·
Thanks guys!

Finished welded the rear and set it down. Borrowed some 31s from my dads samurai to get an idea of what it will look like. Looks like with some trimming it will fits the 33s nicely. I hope...
:sonicjay: When we went to your dads garage today Joe laughed and said he would be pissed when he came home to find the tires missing.

And it was nice to meet both of you guys. Btw if you're interested in selling the original springs shoot me a pm

#16 ·
The To Do list, that keeps growing.

Todays Progress:

The lowest its been in a while.

Not sure why they welded the ubolts to the axle, front and rear. Trying to prevent axle wrap maybe? :teehee:

Old leafs out.

Crappy shackle mount that I have to cut off and remake.

Hopefully more progress tomorrow!

#27 ·
The before pics look like your brother's work, the after pics should be great if you don't tire of dealing with fixing someone else's jackassery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.