Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Running Weird.

3K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  noodles 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2L(318). I just did a tune-up on it and it ran fine for a couple days. Then the check engine light came on but then shut off a little bit later fter the truck sat. I think the truck reset the Check Engine after so many starts. I think its like four cranks and if the problems gone the light shuts off. but anyways I did the tune-up friday. It ran fine friday,Saturday, and then Sunday after noon I got on it a little bit and it fell right on its face. So I amde it home and screwed with it a little bit. If I bring the RPMs up slowly its fine. But if I hit the gas to Hard it wants to stall. Also I have a really hard time starting it. But when it starts it idles perfect. Anyone got any ideas??
Thanks, A.J.Hall!.

#5 ·
Does it bog down then act normal? If it does that i would think TPS, All the check engine light talk has me confussed is it on right now??? Even if it's not on now you should be able to get it scaned and find out what set it in the first place.

#7 ·
that is so simple it makes a lot of sence, run a bit or drygas through it if you dont feel like waiting.

#9 ·
Ok well I went to Autozone they ran the code and it had seven codes 6 of them were for cylinder mis-fires and the other code said Random Multiple Cylinder Mis-Fire. So he cleared the code. But when ever i hit the gas to hard to where it wants to stall the check engine light comes back on. But if I bring the RPMs up slowly the Chewck Engine Light Stays Off. Also, the truck is really hard to start and once you get it started and you shut it off its pretty easy to start back up but if you wait like 10 minutes to start it back up its really hard to start again. One more thing, I cannot go over 50MPH no matter what I do. I think i need to start driving the burban again.lol.

#11 ·
ok long shot but mud in you flexplate windows just popped into my head. The crank sensor sets the MIL for misfires and tells it when to spark a fuel each cylinder. Im not sure that mud would really mess up its reading. you dont happen to be missing the inspection cover do you?

#13 ·
Did your battery go dead ever during this? If so this is your problem and you need to let the PCM re-learn its perameters. Happens to me all the time with my truck. I need a "shut off your fog lights dummy" sign or something. It will as stated before act this way from an alternator going bad as well. Found that out my first time at the mounds. Also since you just did a tune up I would Also suspect water getting underneith the Cap and causing misfires. A little di-electric grease and some silicone spray on you wires plugs and cap goes a LONG way in the water. Make sure that cap is screwed down tight and rememeber Dodges HATE water for many reasons. Oh yeah another place to check is your coil. Also a leaking intake. Should drain your oil and see if there is any water in there as well.

#15 ·
anyone think it could be the alternator? cause as you increase the RPMs the alternator has to send more power. Higher the RPMs the more the truck doesnt want to run right. My uncle told me to disconnect the battery see if the truck stays runnin if it does turn a bunch of accessories on and see what happends. well the alternator guage droped to about 12 or 13 and it ahs to be at 14.2 Volts constintly.(spell??) So what do you all think?

#16 ·
what collor is your oil and does it smell like gas? any resent drops in gas milage? can you get a fuel pressure gauge?

#17 ·
also do you have one or two fuel lines going to you fuel rail? pull a plug and see if its black, white, or oily

#18 ·
Well I realized I am getting fuel because after cranking it awhile I can smell it. But I put the new 134 AMP Alternator on. Then took the big brand new battery out of the Burban and put that in there. Charged it. Got it to crank good. But it wont start. It just cranks and cranks and cranks. So I poured a little gas down the throttle body and still no start at all. Its doesnt even sound like its trying to start. So i pulled a plug and wire and grounded it and I ahve spark but its kinda more yello colored spark than a blue colored spark. Which means my plugs are pry fouled out. So i pulled all the plugs and of course there all black and fouled so now im gonna try to find a way to Autozone.lol. I guess these Bosch Platinum plugs are not really good for anything but performance Automobiles. But i know now that I have Spark, Fuel, and Oxygen. So im gonna try changing the plugs. Hopefully this works.lol. PRAY please. Im sick of this truck.lol.

#21 ·
never use bosch plugs they are horible try a set of champions and then check you fuel pressure

#23 ·
I just put a new Temperture sensor in it. It was completely riped apart. I thnk thats why it was running rich. I can't really tell if its running rich still because its dark out. But does anyone know what the sensor behind the alternator is that goes into the block is? Its a one wire sensor. I don't have electric fans and the fans not a clutch. So its not another temperture sensor. I think its the temperture sending unit that tells the guage what the temperture is but im not sure. Autozone didnt know eithier.

#27 ·
bosch are still horrible plugs they can cause some strang driveability issues on there own. If you temp sensor was reading wrong it could richen it way out and with how warm it has been probly enough to cause a missfire.

#29 ·
Yeah I put bosch plugs in my truck and drove it straight to autozone since the guy there swore by them and made him watch me take them back out of my truck and give me the duralast equivilent to champs. Those seem to be working ok. Oh yeah and Cats can just all of a sudden fall apart so dont rule that out. Your problem is not a lack of fuel problem either. Get the desent plugs in there, make sure all your wires are good. Double check the cap and rotor. Do see if your truck dies with the battery disconnected. If your truck is not running right though that can create a charging issue too. I have a couple cases where the truck just need a new coil wit these symptoms and have had a few that need an alternator or fuse for the alternator. you also need to check your oil. Just change it and see if there is any gas in it. Odds are very good that the intake gaskits are leaking since they all do and if its bad enought this could also be your problem. Dont you love working on cars?

#30 ·
Yep, its a pain in the ass. But i love it.lol. Yea I pulled the positve wire off and the truck was still running. Put a new alternator on it. Put Champion plugs in it. Put new wires, distributor cap, and distrbutor rotor. But when I was doing the temperture sensor I found another sensor behind the alternator that goes into the block. I ahve no clue what it is? I think maybe is the Teperture Sending Unit. Because my temperture guage reads nothing.lol. Maybe its not talking right with the computer and making it run weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.