Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

got my dads 51 willys today.was in his barn for 31 years

3K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Wramblerguy 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got my dads 51 willys that has been I the barn for 31 years.the last day it was drove was one week before I started kindergarten.we took it out through the fields around the farm and rode in the middle shining the spot light have a blast.i can still remember the high pitch gear sound coming out of it as we drove.i have tried to get this truck going for years and he would not budge.but he is now ready to see it back on the road agin and this coming spring it will be.it has all original willys driveline except the engine.it now has a old 283 in it my dad installed in 1972.he bought the truck in 1969 from a old gas station in Laingsburg mi.he said he bought it because it had two big chrome semi stacks on it and he had to have it lol.he bought the truck for $350 and drove it for years.he was always going to put the body on a blazer frame but I want to keep as much of the original stuff I can,it was green originally and he painted it black when he bought it.im stuck between all original or a little lift with 35"s on it.pics are of taking it out today and last pick is what I would like to do to it.any opinions on stock or not would be nice!body is very solid with only couple very small rust spots.

See less See more
#12 ·
Build it like a seriously built truck of its time, 33" tires in the 50s were huge tires, kinda like "the Dana 44 will be the last axle any jeep will ever need" I think I read that in an article from the 60s reprinted in a newer 4x4 mag.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

#17 ·
My kids keep calling it towmater!! Lol.I think I'm going to try to fire it up this week and change all brakes,lines and fluids and try to take it for a spin to my dads before winter.at least make it mobile for now and when snow flys tear it down.

#23 ·
thanks easye on the parts find.i did come across that in my c.l searches with not a lot out there in parts! as soon as I start to tear it down I will start my build thread with pics.and we have been talking about doing a diesel swap in it but we are trying to keep as much original parts as possible but also make it somewhat unique.problem I am having is the stock gears are 488 and that drive train with that gearing will not be a good combo for a diesel.so its a axle swap or I did find a willys wagon with a good running factory inline 6 in it.mine came with the 4cyl and I would like to do more than 45mph top speed!! The build will start as soon as my boat is put up for the winter and I have the extra room in my shop to tear it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.