Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Trying something new...Technique Thread Ideas

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  pwrwgn 
#1 ·
After some great suggestions, it seems there is interest in a lineup of threads dedicated to different techniques. Any suggestions for different techniques people would like to see would be great.

A couple suggestions we have gotten so far are Product Shots, Off Camera Lighting, and Landscapes. While i know that some people may not have equipment to shoot with off camera strobes, or even know what is it for that matter, i still think it would be a great learning experience for everyone providing there is more than 2 people on here with the equipment to pull it off. :sonicjay:

Let me know what you think :thumb:

#2 ·
build a pinhole camera and record an image with it.

shoot 10 head and shoulder portraits of strangers. no zoom or cropping allowed.

do a light study of an outdoor object over the course of 24 hrs.

record 100 diff. images of one object.

photograph an object in an out of the ordinary setting. (example: hotdogs. shot in bookcase, in a flower arrangement, etc)

depth of field study

shutter speed study

f-sop study

I did stuff like this for 3 yrs while studying fine art b&w. I've also taught courses to a few diff art classes at various middle and high schools. I've got tons of assignment ideas to share.

Once we get past the basics, we could get into stuff like studio lighting w/ a single source (using gobos and reflectors), or manipulating lighting on a white and/or black box to produce a diff. exposure on each side. (black on one side, white on one side and 18% grey on one side.)

First assignment though, if you want to REALLY learn photography would be to read three books by Ansel Adams called "The Negative" "The Camera" and "The Print".

All of my post neg. manipulation was done by hand, but some photoshop technique stuff (no filters allowed) might be fun. Hand coloring, tinting, burn/dodge, etc.

#3 ·
when teaching technique, flash is the last thing to worry about. If you want to learn to manipulate light, you need to learn how to see it and then make it do what you want w/o adding any more than whats there to begin with.

I can light a model with one light source and produce a main/fill/back/highlight.

One of the biggest things I preach is that a camera and equipment is nothing more to a photographer than a brush is to a painter. It's a tool.
A brush cant make you a painter.

#4 ·
One of the biggest things I preach is that a camera and equipment is nothing more to a photographer than a brush is to a painter. It's a tool.
A brush cant make you a painter.

Word.

I like the ideas, I made a pin hole camera when I was in 2nd grade. Still have it, I've been thinking about busting it out, but I can't remember all the developing technique and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.