Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

lt1 camaro overheat and now wont start

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  93xj4dr 
#1 ·
I picked up a 96 camaro with the lt1 and 6 speed saturday and it overheated on the way home. I got it cooled down but now it doesnt wanna start. Itll start with the pedal to the floor and rev to about 2500 rpms and die in about 3 seconds. Ive heard the optispark ignition systems on these are junk at best and im wondering if that may be the problem. Any other suggestions?

#3 ·
oil smells burnt but no antifreeze or anything in it so im pretty sure (hope to hell) the engine wasnt hurt. I didnt notice a check engine light but ill have to check for it and find a code reader. somebody told me the water pump probably went out and dumped water on the distributor. I havent had a chance to look at the car as its sitting pretty much where it died saturday.

#5 ·
yea its got aluminum heads. Im really hoping they didnt warp but im not sure. Like i said i checked the oil and antifreeze and theyre both in their own places, not mixed together. So i can only assume the heads are ok. Im hoping to get out and look at the car tonite. Maybe do a compression test and make sure a gasket didnt go. I dont really know enough about these engines to say either way so hopefully i have some decent news before i go home tonight. IF the heads and the rest of the engine are good can anybody point me in the right direction for a good distributor? Is aftermarket a better option/ worth the money? Or should i just buy OEM? Guess ill be bending over for either one... I just want it to hurt less. lol

#17 ·
yea i decided to go the cheapskate route and get the heads done and do headers/eshaust and cold air intake and call it a day. It was pretty fast stock and tearing it apart revealed alot of other performance killing problems. After fixing the flaws and exhaust and stuff itll be at least fast enough to get me in trouble. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.