Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Anyone tow with a Van???

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  orangejeeper 
#1 ·
Curious about the conversion vans for tow rigs anybody use one? If so how does it work/tow fuel mileage etc. Tanks :beerbang:

#2 ·
96 E350 15 passenger with 351W I get 14 mpg with 15 people inside. It alright but not for pull heavy trailer since rear axle have 3.55. It would tow if I have 4.10 in axle.

any E350 with 5.4L could get 14-20 mpg on how you drive but for tow it would be 8-15 mpg. If V10 you be struggle to get 12 mpg.

E150 I wouldn't dare to pull no more than 6,000 pounds they are too light.

E250 cargo you could get under $3,000.

#9 · (Edited)
I tow with a 1993 E 350 extended 15 pass. with only 2 buckets in back (seats 4 total).351 W with a fresh top end 132,*** miles 3.55 gears and never got 14 mpg I was lucky to get 13 on the high way empty.And I drive like a little old lady.9-10 in town on a good day.
The tow rating on my E 350 is 6,500# I will double check in the morning if you want.
Buggy wieghs 3500# trailer was 2000# 2 dirt bikes ,Tools and spares camping gear for the week end ( was load to the top wife and kids went LOL) runnig 65, 70 mph not a problem.

I will be putting in 4.10s when I start hauling the 2 place car trailer

a 1/2 ton conversion is going to wiegh more than a E 250 or E 350 Cargo in my opinion.
I would not worrie about it .With the right hitch and brakes

And a van is much more comfortable to sleep in than a truck bed or cab.

The over hang on extended vans kills the tow rating.

#3 ·
When I was a kid my buddies parents towed a 30 foot travel trailer with a dodge ram conversion van (360) and it pulled it fine from Macomb to Alpena at least two dozen times.

What are you pulling and how far?

#4 ·
What are you pulling and how far?
A tj on a 1490lb trailer, hopefully anywhere I want to go

Im gonna guess total weight will be around 6000lbs

#6 ·
Still shopping you cant beat one for the price these days but yes tow package and v8 are a must

#7 ·
I towed my Jeep all over in a 2003 E-150 Ford Van with the 4.6L V8 and it did great. I now have a 2008 E-350 with the 5.4 V8, have not towed with it yet. Heck, I even towed with a 2003 F-150 with the 4.2L V6.

#10 ·
as long as you don't flat tow your Jeep through a snow filled ditch, you will be fine....lol

I sold my 4 door 1 ton and will replace it with a 15 passenger 3500 Chevy van so i can tow and fit 4 kids and a wife and when the kids are gone during the summer use it as a tent

#13 ·
It's been said many times on various forums, but I will mention it. The 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel Turbo is in my opinion they best non commerical diesel engine ever built. Find a E-350 with one in it, and you will not be disappointed. Those engines have tons of power and most make it beyond 500k miles.

#14 ·
Agreed... but what do you mean "non commercial diesel engine" Sound like you have spent to much time on a dodge site...

Take a look sometime at how many trucks/bus's/etc, have T444E's in them..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.