Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

booty fab

222K views 761 replies 218 participants last post by  jhnyquest 
#1 · (Edited)
I love a good booty fab pic, post up any good ones you have

EDIT - UPDATED 1/28/08 with new Fail Scale

Booty Fab Fail-Scale (BFFS)

Thanks to VonDirt, we now have a scale to score fab work put in here. Keep in mind that a "high-score" here is not good, and the ultimate fail is a BF-5. Points are "awarded" for failing in the following criteria:

1. idea
2. design/engineering
3. fabrication/craftsmanship
4. finish
5. solution (does it work)

To clarify #1 and #2, idea relates to the overall concept and whether it's a good idea, or a bad one. An example would be building a wooden roll cage- bad idea. Design/engineering relates to how much thought was put into it, and how well the idea is executed. An example of this would be the mounting of the coilovers on the prerunner truck below. Good idea to run a linked rear suspension with coilovers, bad design/engineering to put the lower mounting pont at or above the centerline of the lower links.

Attachments

See less See more
#410 ·
i should be ashamed of myself.....

my inside driver's sidedoor handle in my bronco just broke for the third time in 9 months.

i was far from happy

the solution?
BOOTYFABFTW!!!!!

i'm ashamed that i didn't take my time (more than 5 minutes to materialize this) and make a better weld (i actually have an associate's in welding engineering technology, but it was a quick shit job i did with the 110), curved handle, etc. but i needed a door handle and then!

but it works, and it works quite well.

#414 · (Edited)
Um..Yeah...these will hold up fine for turning tires over 2' wide. If it doesn't shear the 4 bolts off it will for sure bend up like a pretzel.

#416 ·

Beautiful steering design this one has.

The body is pretty sweet, but they really FUBAR'd it with everything else under it.

#421 ·
Not sure how well you can see just how much badness is going on in these pics but I saw this in Mt Clemens and had to get some shots for this thread. Its an s10 with full width axles, the front is...well...horrible. The whole axle is shoved over to the drives side by at least half a foot and the back of the leaf springs are not even bolted to anything, just sitting there rubbing against the bottom of the body. Yeah, not on the frame. Rubbing on the body itself. The front brackets are pretty bad too, that's a bolted on bracket on the bottom. The large vertical piece is prob 1/4 thick but its just 1 piece of maybe 4 inch wide 1/4 place perpendicular to the frame and it has already bent backwards. The front u bolts looked like bent all thread. Thankfully this thing didn't have an engine, trans, t case or driveshafts. I don't remember seeing steering either

#425 ·
Boat trailer fenders... Check!
Parts of a TV antena tower... Check!
Front off of a late 70's motorcycle... Check!
Drive train from a 1960's VW... Check!
Bench Seat with genuine Naugahyde covering... Check!
Beer keg gas tank... Check!

Definitely Booty Fab!!!

Only thing that makes this thing OK is the POW/MIA sticker on the windshield:beer:...

#435 ·
1st time working with tubing, eh?

and please tell me that wasn't what I think it was- the shot with the driveshaft and yoke "clearenced"?????

Who am I trying to kid? that whoole rig is scaaaaary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.