Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Who rides a bike?

6K views 86 replies 33 participants last post by  jeepinRRT 
#1 · (Edited)
So I was thinking that I've been a giant lazy ass for several years I am suddenly feeling motivated to get back into shape.

I currently own a low end mountain bike but I seldom go (once this year, zero last year) riding. Partially because I have no one to go with, but more so because it involves loading up the bike and driving for 25 minutes to get to the trail.

I have been thinking to myself for the past few weeks that I need to get active again, and had been toying with the idea of trying a triathlon. A couple of days ago I mentioned something to my wife about it and she pretty much laughed at me saying "haha, why don't you just try a 5k first..." Well I don't particularly like running on its own, but if you add swimming and a bike ride into it you might be able to trick me long enough to do it... Besides now I have to do it just to make her eat her words.

So the next day I went on a 7 mile bike ride on my MTB which was a good workout, but I felt like I wasn't going anywhere, busting my ass to average 13 MPH ( I do have clipless pedals which helps). I felt good, and it seems like something I can get into expecially since I live in an area with GREAT road bike routes just out of my driveway.

So fast forward to today. I stop at a local bike shop to look into road bikes... Holy crap they are expensive. I rode a fuji and a cannondale an I liked the fuji much better. The Fuji was a full carbon (all tiagra components) vs the carbon fork cannondale (all sora) and retailed for $1399 but I could get it for $1000. Seems like a good deal, rode like butter compared to the cannondale, but compared to my $400 MTB its a large investment. My fear is I am getting too good a bike for my first road bike, but on the other hand, I don't want to get something I'm going to hate especially if I ever get up to 50-75 miles per week.

So long story short, I'm going to get rid of my MTB I don't use, selling my reloading press and a honda elite I have to get into a road bike (Yes I'm a cheap ass and I would like to do very little out of pocket). It just seems like its a lot of cash for something I can't ride 3-4 months out of the year.

Has anyone been down this road before? Any tips as I start along this journey?

I should add that the used bike market is like the jeep market and everyone thinks their junk is made of gold....

See less See more
#57 ·
Recommendation: Cyclocross bike

My first bike I spent 1500 on a used bike (try to force my self to use it) 18mos later I own 4 bikes. (Carbon Road, Alum Cyclo, Alum Track SS, Alum Hardtail MTB) if you keep the MTB there are tons of places in and near GR to MTB Yankee, Cannonsburg, and the new Merrell Trails..

Cyclocross season starts in September and Kisscross does a decent series over the next couple months. Im currently selling my Cyclocross (Jamis Nova Pro) bike to move to a Scott frame if you are interested it is a 56 (I'm 6'1 and 32" inseam) Im asking 1k for it w/ the stock wheelset and 1200$ w/ the Mavics currently on it. Check out some videos on YouTube for cross videos its basically like bouncing off your hearts redline for 30/45/60mins ..

#58 ·
We picked up a Fuji for my wife a couple years ago, full carbon, and test rode it against several other bikes/ manufacturers. The Fuji carbon definitely rode smoother, and was stiff enough to still transfer power good. As for holding up, she typically rides 30-50 miles an evening, sometimes seven days a week. She's worn out several sets of tires and just replaced the chain and rear cassette. There's somewhere between 10-15,000 miles on the bike right now, and it looks and rides like brand new.
Oh, not that it matters, but she turned 51 this year.

#62 · (Edited)
Well I ended up with what I think was a good deal...

I picked up an '09 Cannondale CAAD9 with tiagra deraileurs and sora (boo) shifters.

I wasn't thrilled with the shifters and the deraileurs aren't anything to write home about but the frame is in great shape, and it actually shifts pretty well, so the plan is to ride it for at least a year and see if I want to upgrade. In any case this set up will meet my needs for the time being, and I didn't have to break the bank.

I just got back from a quick 8 mile ride and so far so good. Brake pads need to be replaced but other than that, all I need to do is ride it. :thumb:

So far I think I can keep my MTB as well..... at least until the wife finds out :chauncy:

#63 ·
Still racking up laps around the lake! I've been getting out at least three times a week.

I kicked up my one lap to two and went from about 6 miles to just over 10 and avg MPH of 17.8. I am now to the point where I don't feel like dying after my ride, so next week I am going to move up to three laps or about 14-15 miles and see if I feel like dying again :hick:

So far I'm having a great time and it was worth the investment!

Oh I got smoked by two dudes on Tarmac Pros the other day.... fast dudes are fast.

#65 ·
:thumb: Are you riding around Reeds Lake? Good on ya for getting out a few times a week. Is it too far for you to ride to work? Commuting is awesome if it's fairly safe and not too far for you. I ride to work a lot. Got dumped on with rain the past few days but it's all good.

If you start to get bored with road/path riding you should really think about mountain biking, whole different ballgame. You can head out to Cannonsburg SGA for a 6-7 mile loop and feel wrecked because of the difference in riding, going through sand, over roots, and uphill. If I remember right a time of around 30 minutes per loop is pretty solid on that trail. It's a hell of a lot more fun too IMHO, just like running on the road versus trail running. There are a lot of great MTB trails within a quick drive from GR, including the new Merrell trails in Rockford.

Fast dudes are fast but it's too much fun to smoke a dude on a $5K rig with your entry level bike. :) You'll get there if you keep at it, it's all conditioning.

#66 ·
Yeah I'm a mile from reeds lake so it makes it nice.

I tried the mtb thing, but I was actually not a big fan. I don't know why, but I think it was because I grew up racing motocross and I couldn't get that horrible, "damn I need to pedal here to go fast" instead of twisting a throttle :sonicjay:. The other aspect is the 25 minute drive up m37 to get the the SGA. I've been out there a few times but its simply takes too much time for the whole trip (not the ride) where it was a solid 2 hours time investment, now is under 50 from ratcheting up the shoes to jumping out of the shower.

Next year I hope to do the Reeds Lake Tri.... we will see how it goes. Maybe I'll just do the "tour de gaslight" if things go bad... :thumb:

ETA I guess my bike cam from TC. Bricks or something? There is a sticker on the BB the guy at the shop today pointed out.

#71 ·
Good luck!! I've been trying to get out more on my mountain bike this year but so far have only been out a couple times. Gonna try and make it at least a weekly thing the remainder of the summer/fall. I'll hopefully go tomorrow.

#73 ·
My brother came out of college a little over weight and started riding, that was almost 35 years ago. Since then he has held most of the 24-hour ultra marathon course records in the midwest at one time or another. He has competed in three Race Across America's. When he started he was pushing it to do 20 miles. Now he rides at least 50 a night. During the winter he rides the MB unless the snow is too deep, in which case he skis.

The point is that he started out way out of shape, and it was tough. Now he rides daily because he enjoys it.

As for bikes, he rides a Trek. They have stood behind their products, and he has no complaints.

#74 ·
Awesome man, I run and have thought about getting a bike but my current workout schedule already takes up about 8-10 hours a week and with a full time job it would be hard to find the time to ride. Fuck the haters on here making excuses why you shouldn't attempt to train for a tri. It's never too late.

#81 ·
Well I made it! Finished in UNDER my goal of three hours at 2:52:11 :rock:

The swim was a mini disaster but I still did it in 32 minutes. SO many people, SO much splashing, I didn't actually start "swimming" you know with your head under water, until about 4-500 yards into it.

Bike was by far the best. I hit a PR on that course, and averaged 20 Mph where my previous best was 19.2 on that course.

I hadn't been able to train for the run for the past 6-8 weeks or so due to ITB issues, so I didn't have high expectations on that part. I did it just under hour at 59 and change. Right where I planned to be given my lack of training for it.

All in all, I saw one guy on the swim pull up and freak the hell out shouting "I can't breathe" over and over. And on the bike when doing 22 MPH a guy wadded up HARD and broke his wrist. The guy in front of him decided to do a u-turn in the middle of the course. Why, I have no idea, it wasn't close to ANY turnarounds, but that made poor guy #2 lock up his brakes to avoid smashing into him and flip right over the front. He hit the road and proceeded to roll in pain and verbally berate the guy who did the u turn. Really didn't think I would see any bike carnage but wow that was pretty nuts to see.

Great day, goal met, didn't drown, so life is good:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.