Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

So how does this scam work?

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  BlooMule 
#1 ·
For the last month, my wife has been getting 2 or 3 checks per week from various businesses in Connecticut for about $2000 to $3000. We had our bank call to verify, and they are bogus. What is odd, is that they are being sent FedEx.

I know it's a scam, but I really can't figure out how the scam works. Any ideas, oh great GL4x4 scam gurus?

#5 ·
Those are close, but there is no letter accompanying the check. They are payroll style checks, but no info as to what the amount is for is listed on the stub portion. That's what caught my eye. My wife does home hospice care and often receives her pay in this manner. She had just started a new clients a few weeks before the first check arrived. The checks are drawn on 'real' bank accounts and a google search shows the businesses do exist, so we are dealing with stolen or forged checks.

This scam must work on somebody, because the scammers are spending a fair chunk of change on FedEx.

#16 ·
Didn't read the links posted...but I know there used to be a scam where you deposit a bogus check, the bank prints your account number/routing number on the back of the bogus check when it's "deposited" into your account, bogus check bounces and is then sent back to the originator of the scam...and viola--someone else has your bank account details.

At least I read about it some time ago... Can't confirm if it's entirely true, but it sounds plausible.

#17 ·
I heard the same thing, and I asked at our bank about it. The no longer send cancelled checks back to the issuer, they are shredded and an 'electronic document' is sent- with all but the last 4 digits of the account x'd out.

Bank said that they might send a follow up letter stating the check was an overpayment, and to send the overpayment amount back- but we have not seen anything like that yet. Maybe you have to deposit the check to get the letter :sonicjay:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.