Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Explorer 4.0-302 swap, what's needed?

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  gear_grinder 
#1 ·
What is needed to make the electrical system work in a 4.0 explorer with a 302? Is it as simple as swapping the ECM and plugging the engine harness in at the big plug? I imagine there are some other issues, so what are they?

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks, This is a very informative article. I haven't had much time to dig in to therangerstation, desertranger, or the other good Ford sights yet, I was hoping all you CheapThrills guys had this by the balls and sorted!

For no real reason, Here is what I am working with. 2001 Sport Trac body sitting on a 77ish F-150 chassis, no powertrain as of now.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Sorry, I forgot to put a year in there. To get to the root question, I have a 2001 Sport Trac body (intending to go on an F-150 chassis), A friend of mine has a 97 or 98 explorer 302 from a part out.

From what I read there are a bunch of fruitcakes saying a v8 won't fit in a Sport Trac, but I don't buy that for a second. Because Sport Trac's aren't super common, and are still relatively expensive and serve more civil duties, people don't dive into a v8 swap. So, let's just call it a 2001 Explorer. Is there a year range that parts are more easily swapable?

I haven't done a bolt together job in quite a while. I'm used to everything being custom, but this seems like it could be a fairly easy one. Sure, I could stand alone control it, but if I don't have to, I won't. I'm not looking for super performance out of it, I'd just like to make it run and drive around in a similar to stock fashion, and have as much stock stuff work as I can.

#10 ·
Yea, I know, but there are a bunch of them floating around this Ford forum!

I haven't seen any in the right price range either lately. It seems like there will be a bunch of them all an once, then none for a while. Frustrating really.

It's been a while since doing a factory parts project with an old Ford, this should be a fun one!

#11 ·
This has actually been a project I have been wanting to do for some time. I just haven't found a reasonable priced donor sport trac to do it with.

the v8 should fit just fine in the sport trac. The engine bay really isn't any different like you said from an explorer. As far as the electronics, I don't know specifically on the sport trac. Like I posted the 97 sohc electrical was very different from the 98 explorer harness.

The 98 would be more similar to the 01 then the 98 -97 as things changed from 97-98.

#14 ·
Everything I've ever looked up (mid 90's stuff) says unless you're using an HO 5.0 it's not worth the troubles. actually LESS HP and torq.
feel free to shoot me if I'm wrong on the newer stuff (SOHC vs V8).
no, just no.

GT40 explorer/mounties engines (96-early 97) are rated at 210hp/280lbft, GT40P explorer/mounties are rated at 215/290, SOHC 4.0s are rated to 205/225. 300lbft is easily made with a breather mods or a flash tune.

This not to mention the drive line strength. the 4r70w used in the v8 trucks are 1billion times stronger then the 4r44e/5r55 used behind the SOHC trucks. along with a bw4406 transfercase swap vs the 1456 in the v6 trucks.

getting a 302 from a explorers will make it easier with engine mounts that bolt on to the stock cross member, the explorer oil pan that clears all the stuff up front, radiator, front acc. dress, harness, ecu, fuel line modifications (i think), 4r70w from v8 explorer, transfercase from v8 truck or swap to the 4406 right away, driveshafts, and other do-dads. it'll be a bit of work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.