Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

6.0 power

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  CheapThrillB2 
#1 ·
Considering a 03ish 2500hd crew w/a 6.0L

Concerned with power if I was to tow a gooseneck and two rigs....any thoughts and opinions?

#4 · (Edited)
how heavy of rigs are we talking? The experience I have with a 6.0 3/4 ton quad cab truck was a guy in our snowmobile group had one and a large encolsed car hauler trailers a bunch of us would put our sleds in and go to the u.p. with. On the trip I attended we had 6 sleds I believe, gear and 4 people in cab and the trailer was shaped like a brick and I thought it had plenty of power but did lack from a diesel which is to be expected. But its not like we were climbing very large hills or anything. Only thing he complained about was the gas mileage but he said it got the same pretty much towing or not but he did have 4.10 gears.

#7 ·
It would pull a gooseneck with two rigs on it, you wont have power to spare, but it will do it. I have an 08 2500 ccsb with the 6.0, my friend has the same truck, he pulled his 30 ish ft 5th wheel & his tj on a 18ft car hauler tandem to the up last year, it did not like the big hills on the highway, but it would still run down the road and get around 7-8 mpg.

#11 ·
It will do it just fine....you won't set any speed records but it will do it. My family/friends are all chevy people and have owned several of these trucks and they all have been used to tow loads similar to what your talking and they do it without issue. Make sure you get one with 4.10's and you should be good. We actually just got one in on trade here at work that doesn't look half bad but i'm sure they want way too much $$

#12 · (Edited)
My old truck was a 2003 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 with 6.0/4L80E and 4.10s. It pulled my jeep on a flatbed reasonably well, probably about 6000-6500lbs. At the time, I was towing with all diesel owners, so they definitely pulled away on hills; but it did fine. Maybe a bit slow at times, but never a risk of not making it.

I think hauling double with a gasser would be some work for the truck. I would expect it to be a dog on hill climbs, but you'd probably get there.

Strangler complains about how doggy his 6.0 is, but mine was reasonably quick unloaded.

#13 · (Edited)
If you like Fords that much I have a 2008 I'm getting ready to sell with the 6.4. Shit ton of miles at 178k, but runs well, and always has. Its an XL so it doesn't have a lot of options. Its an F350, crew cab long bed. Red, with Grey interior. I just had the fuel pump update done, and the tires have less than 10 k miles on them. Its always been fleet maintained so overall its in really good shape for the miles. We've owned it since it was new. I'm thinking in the $15k range for a price mainly because of the miles, not the condition of the truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.