Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Stealing Catalytic Converters?

4K views 56 replies 38 participants last post by  yozsi 
#1 ·
People are stealing catalytic converters when the vehicle owners are in the store! How crazy is that? It appears they cut them off with a sawzall. Those things get damn hot, they must be nuts. How much is a cat worth?

#7 ·
I think they get upwards of 80$ for them.

mostly they use a little battery powered circular saw, makes quick work of exhaust pipe!
A little lite, they can go for up around $200-$350 each. Battery Sawzall is the choice for most of them.

#6 ·
Worth

Up to $300 each, due to the rare metals in them.

They mostly do it at night

They also are stealing license plates of a similar car that they own, pumping a tank of gas and driving off....

When the clerk gets the license plate....They have your license with a vehicle that looks like yours!

#14 ·
thats not a good one. inports are the best. i only know from scrapping cars :tonka:

#19 ·
Some of you seem to have a bit more knowledge about this subject than most people do. I think I need to have you come in for a chat.:tonka:

#21 ·
right now steel is at $260 a ton. take all wire out $40-50 rads and heater core $40-50 cat $50-250 and you get upword of $600 for a $200 car,

#29 ·
Hey. Good call! We'll bring that little turd in for some questioning.

#34 ·
if there's a big enough group of people in one area with converters, ill make the trip to come buy them. myself and my best friend own a business called Cedar Enterprises, and buy catalytic converters is part of what we do. radiators are a good thing to make some money off of too, and batteries we're giving $3.00 apiece for.

#39 ·
Why? Just strip them out and buy the 02 simulators from summit there like 40 to 50 bucks each.Ive got headers true duals and 40 series flowmasters on 96 tahoe with no cats,and use the simulators for about 4 years now works great:thumb:

#41 ·
I had a Grand Prix for sale a month ago at my brothers house that the pricks cut the cat off it and his Lumina in the driveway.
I can understand how they can get under trucks thats been going on for a while. But to wiggle under a car in someones driveway. wtf

#50 ·
My buddy's dad work at the U of M and runs the grounds crew. Apparently someone broke into lot where they keep all of their work vans and stole every cat out of them. He said it sounded like a big demolition derby.

Another thing i heard that was being stolen is Ford pick-up tail gates. A guy came into my work not too long ago and said someone stole his and his neighbors tail gates in the middle of the night. Anyone know any truth to this? Im kind of sick of locking and unlocking it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.