Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Anyone own a jeep compass?

3K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  addicted 
#1 ·
Hello all
My wife and i are looking to pick up a new vehicle at the end of the year. Right now we have a grand prix and a grand cherokee. one for winter and the other the rest of the time. She likes the look of the jeep compass. I looks to get decent mileage and still have four wheel drive. Anyone have any exprience with it. Also anything with towing or not. We want to get a pop up camper too and i don't think the compass could pull it.

Thanks

#4 ·
There is far too much compass hate on this site to give you a real answer. Even if it was a decent car, the hive mind here can only bash it for its inability to climb rocks. However, greasemonkey may have taken a likeing to it and may give it a thumbs up. PM him for a private review.

#10 ·
My parents purchased one this past fall. It is quite a nice car for what it is. They required AWD and a manual, and that platform was basically the only American car(ish) in that category. It's not what I would want, at this stage in my life. I am not sure what they have been getting for mileage, but I know it is better than their Subaru Impreza was getting. The build quality seems quite well, it is very quiet and rides pretty well. It seems like it has decent power. It revs so freely.

#11 ·
My Dad borrowed one over Christmas and we didn't hate it like we thought we would. If you are going for mileage don't even bother with the AWD, we only got 23 or 24 at best.

#15 ·
My parents own a Compass, and it is a comfortable vehicle. Nice and roomy interior, and the seats are comfortable. We have the 4wd version and automatic, and it still gets around 24-27 mpg on the trips we have taken. We haven't tried to pull anything with it, but that's what the big Jeep or the pickup is for. It's quite a nice on-road vehicle.

#20 ·
Yes, it will tow a pop-up! I have a Patriot (same thing, just boxier) and have pulled a 2000lb pop-up twice. It handled great, had plenty of power to pull it, and the brakes stopped the load perfectly! With the addition of the engine oil cooler, the tow rating goes from 1500 to 2000. The longest trip was to over near Racing WI. I averaged 24 MPG @ 55 mph while towing. Best MPG was 27 @ 70 MPH Kalamazoo to Detriot. The CVT trans takes a little getting usd to though. Overall, I'm completely happy with my Patiot, great Jeep!:thumb:

#29 ·
as far as looks you have to take into consideration what others opinions are based on. Have they seen the stripped down base model or are they refering to the limited compass. My girl has a limited. With the larger better looking wheels, leather, and body accents it is really sharp and we have had many compliments. Price is nice too.
She gets 25mpg.

#30 ·
As far as the patriot or the compass. Both have basically the same drivetrain and yes the patriot is a touch more roomy in the backseat (i think i measured 6"). The cargo area is the same size with the exception of up by the ceiling due to the more rounded roof design of the compass(from what I remember).

Now, on the trans and power, I was not impressed at first. When I test drove both vehicles off the lot on a curvey road (with the auto trans in slapshift mode to keep it in the power band) the compass drives like a damn sports car with its all wheel ind. susp.
The patriot on the other hand has more of a mini van feel(more utilitarian).

If you are looking for a utility vehicle get the patriot.
If you are looking for a car with variable awd get a compass.

#34 ·
Now, on the trans and power, I was not impressed at first. When I test drove both vehicles off the lot on a curvey road (with the auto trans in slapshift mode to keep it in the power band) the compass drives like a damn sports car with its all wheel ind. susp.
The auto transmissions they come with don't have any gears to slap shift, it is a Continuosly Variable Transmission :fish:

#31 ·
By the way the compass I have kicks ass in the snow. You can hardly spin it out with the traction control. I have never had such a hard time trying to do a donut in a parking lot. That thing is amazing. I feel very confident my girl and my daughter are safe in it.

Its like a little rally car

#37 ·
I seem to remember that at one time not all CVT's had the autostick. I know it was on the Limited.

I took a quick look at the Jeep site just now. All Auto's are the CVT II and they all have the auto stick feature. So, if you get a Compass with the CVT it will have autostick.

Like I said, I don't remember what the options were in the first couple of model years. If you drove an older one, you may well have driven one with a CVT without autostick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.