Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Engine ticking - even after shutdown

2K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Blue XJ 
#1 ·
Just recently my engine has developed a ticking noise. It used to only occur while it wad running, now it continues on after I shut it off. It's a 4.7l stroker with about 15,000 miles, it's been doing it for maybe 2500 miles now. 258 crank and rods, 360 valve springs, crane cam, stock rocker arms, mopar lifters and pushrods with Keith black pistons Everything was new when the motor was built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxY9nPBwIqM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#5 ·
I've taken the cover off and ran it. Nothing seems loose, I did notice some pushrods were spinning really fast and some were barely spinning. I took a few rocker arms off and I noticed when tightening them back down it made the same noise when the springs started to compress.

I took video too, give me a few minutes to upload it

#8 ·
When you had it running with the valve cover off did you see anything moving still after you shut it off?

#9 ·
CHAD KEY from Ridge Offroad said," The rattle at idle is lifters and sounds to be piston rattle too... Which is normal on a 4.0... The ticking after it shuts off is the lifters bleeding down because of spring pressure and worn parts... Also somewhat normal unless its missing then it has a bad valve or bad lifter or broken piston which explains the excessive rattle... If that helps..."

#10 ·
Honestly, thats kind of what I assumed when I started to hear it. What would be worn causing it? The pushrods all spinning at different speeds had me a little worried too, should that be addressed.

It runs great, doesn't miss at all.

Bruce,

Nothing moved once it was shut off. Well nothing that I could see.

#13 ·
Chad Key Ridge Offroad:

The only really proper way to do that combo is with the kieth black forged kit that uses 4.0 rods and taller pin height pistons... With the 258 crank makes the proper piston height in the bore and lives a lot longer...

#15 ·
Rods spining That's normal... Is the motor missing or just making noise??
Who assembled the head and ground the valves ...
Maybe the installed height of the valves were not set right ...

#16 ·
Chad From Ridge Offroad:

I don't know the specs on the 360 springs... But if the head was botched during assembly ... There could be broken springs ... If they didn't measure compressed height properly when figuring the rocker arms etc there are quite a few different things that could do that...

#17 ·
Chad from Ridge Offroad:

The closer you get to zero deck the less issues you have with detonation... If it is detonating he may very well have a broken piston or two... Also gotta know what piston number was used to know what the final compression ended up being... If you don't mill the reliefs in the pistons on certain pistons it will cause too much compression also resulting in too much compression... There are a lot of variables in the 4.6-4.7 stroker combo that can go wrong...

#18 ·
It's just making noise. It runs perfectly. The machine shop that did my machine work assembled the head as well. They said they had a tough time getting the installed heights correct, but they did get it. I'm pretty sure they are Mopar Performance 5.9l springs. The rocker arms are the original ones to the motor, I guess it's the one part I reused.

#20 ·
Chad from Ridge Offroad:

Too much compression resulting in detonation... Lol if you measure cc's in the pistons then deck the block to achieve similiar numbers then you can get more compression with no chance of detonation... Just takes homework

#21 · (Edited)
#22 ·
Well we can't say what the reason really was there are a lot of things that could have happen and with out pulling it a part we can't tell you for sure what it is making the noise

#23 ·
Chad also said:
In the past I have been very happy with the equivalent of a 30 cc dish between milling the reliefs and decking the block ... My guess Is you have too loose tolerance on the installed height... Or you have a spring or two that has failed ...

#24 ·
By a spring failing, does that mean it is broken? Or it's just lost some of its 'spring'? When the motor was off, I was touching each of the rocker arms and could feel the ones that were making the noise, I had 3 of them that I could feel move when I heard the tick, the other ones didn't budge. Maybe its worth replacing those 3 springs to see what it gets me.

#26 ·
Could be broken or loss of tension... If you find it has lost tension ... Double check coil bind numbers and make sure it is able to deal with the rocker arm ratio and cam you are running...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.