Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

metric VS standard

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Yota Bill 
#1 ·
can anyone explain to me why a metric fastener cost almost 4 times as much as a comparable standard fastener? i was just at ace hardware i needed one metric bolt. M12x1.25 price $4.80 a standard fastener in comparable size was $1.20 what gives? does it really cost that much more to spin a different set of threads onto the same sized piece of steel?

#8 ·
I work at an ACE store here in Petoskey. I don't stock anything but stainless steel metric bolts, due to the demand for them. So, if you were looking at a zinc plated one, versus a metric stainless there's your key. As far as I know, in OUR store, if you hold a stainless metric bolt, next to a stainless standard bolt, that are roughly the same diameter, the price is exactly the same.

#12 ·
ok one bolt was metric 8.8 the standard was grade 5. both are equal to each other. and both were standard steel bolts. not stainless, or zinc coated.i'm not complaining i'm just curious as to why there is such a difference.

#15 ·
thats what I say.:sonicjay:

#17 ·
Metric is new technology in the USA and new tech is always expensive at first. Also, Metric stuff has to be imported and that costs money too. This is why your metric bolts in the US are more that SAE bolts.

This is really just a bunch of bs, but you know someone will believe it to be true;)

#18 ·
I used to work at a bolt warehouse as a kid and most bolts metric and sae come from china

#21 ·
I can't recall if they have metric bolts in bulk at TSC. If they do I am sure they will be more $$$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.