Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Never Enough.....SAS blaZeR2

100K views 530 replies 74 participants last post by  Judd 
#1 · (Edited)
Here’s my first build.

I would first like to thank my grandparents and especially my grandpa for all of his help with the build. I have been doing all of the work in his shop with his help. This both of ours first truck build but, not his first time in the garage... Ill let you see some of the toys that have rolled out of the garage before :naughty:

As of now
99 Blazer zr2
4.3 v6
-msd ignition
-jba headers egr delete
-flowmaster super44
-gibson 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust
-missing kitty
5 speed
31 bfg at's
torsion bar lift
lift shackles
homemade front bumper

Here it is

Here is my first stuck:sonicjay:

See less See more
#123 ·
They dont have to be "flashed for your vin" you have to do a "crank relearn" though aka "flash the computer". They have do it yourself instructions, but i hear its finicky and hard to do, the one from autozone is probably set to relearn when you start it up.
This could definitlly expkain your spark issue.

#130 ·
Ok its its almost 3, I'm covered in snow, and the shop light went out at 2. BUT I think I have this rig figured out :woot:

All tests led to 2 bad coils. Maybe something else is wrong and its killing the coil, I don't know. However it has 12v and a pulse from the ICM and still no spark. I used this link to come to this conclusion.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_misfire_diagnostic/ignition_misfire_tests_5.php

Thanks for the link Dad!!!

#137 ·
Hmmm for some reason there is a disassembled cherry picker in my apartment :sonicjay:

Ok so I gave on trying to track down why my truck won't start. I've just been throwing parts and $$$ at it, so it was time to swap in a running motor, harness, and computer. Freak is dropping the motor off on sunday, so until then I'll be striping and getting the old motor ready to pull. For the new motor I have picked up a new oil pan gasket, rear main seal, timing set and gasket kit, exhaust manifold gaskets, and valve cover gaskets. Is there anything else that you would replace on a used motor short of a full rebuild?

#138 ·
Hmmm for some reason there is a disassembled cherry picker in my apartment :sonicjay:

Ok so I gave on trying to track down why my truck won't start. I've just been throwing parts and $$$ at it, so it was time to swap in a running motor, harness, and computer. Freak is dropping the motor off on sunday, so until then I'll be striping and getting the old motor ready to pull. For the new motor I have picked up a new oil pan gasket, rear main seal, timing set and gasket kit, exhaust manifold gaskets, and valve cover gaskets. Is there anything else that you would replace on a used motor short of a full rebuild?

Id replace the intake gaskets while your at it. Those 4.3 seem to have issues with them.

#143 · (Edited)
Yes I have replaced every component checked every wire for continuity and it still wont start. I've spent more money on new parts than I care to remember and swapping in a running motor makes more sense than chasing down 12 year old wiring and electronics. At this point I just want to get home for christmas break. Besides its not like it would hurt to replace a motor with over 200k on it for a lower mileage unit.

Edit: Its not like I haven't been trying to get my dd running for the past 2 months. I've tried everything I could think of, picked the brains of family members, mechanics (including yourself), and still cant get it to start. What would you do?

I appreciate your help but don't give me shit for not trying.

#150 ·
Ya my fixs for problem always end up go overboard me blowing up my 700r4 steered me into a sas swap , Who likes a poser 2wd anyways right? Maybe I could help with problems I am a honda dealer tech but still have some resources at are former caddy dealer.

Stupid question is all your valve train moving like could you possibly snapped camshaft or something.

#151 ·
Im 99% positive the motor is ok mechanically. Its either some sensor or broken wire causing my issue. However Ive checked everything and still cant figure it out, at this point I could have replaced a few more sensors costing alot more time and money. All while still being a complete shot in the dark.

By swapping motors and wiring harness it keeps me from chasing random wires and sensors. Sure its not my first choice but its really the most logical thing to do at this point.

#152 ·
A few more pieces and Ill be able to build a truck in my apartment :sonicjay:

I pulled the front clip for a few reasons. 1 It just makes pulling the motor a hell of a lot easier. 2 It took me 2 days to put the headers on in the summer with the fenders on and there's no way I could reach the bolts with my carhart on. 3 The best part is that I can go through all the wiring this way, clean my grounds check for crushed/chafed wires ( already found some, non engine related tho ), ect.

Not bad for my first day IMO. Hopefully I can finish stripping the motor tonight and pull it in the morning :woot:

#156 ·
I was just going to lower it in from the back window :sonicjay:

What I love about the s10 front clip makes it some much easier to work on my v8 and getting mofo headers on.
I was really surprised how easy it came apart, even after 12 years of MI winters. And I cant believe I didn't do it the first time around with the headers :fish:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.