Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Tow Rig / DD

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  tweak 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had my truck for a few years now, but figured that I should finally post it since I have recently made a few mods to it. Its a fairly stock 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab with the 5.9 Cummins. I just rolled 100,000 miles on it, so she has quite a bit of life left in her.

I don't have a lot of pictures of it, but here is one when I was picking up some parts for my scrambler build last year:

This truck not only sees the pavement for towing, but also is used as a light wheeler. We take it up to Silverlake and out on the trails (does not see hard core wheeling though). Its primary use will be a tow rig though, so there won't be to many major upgrades for the foreseeable future.

The latest mod that I did started as the tailpipe rotted off from the muffler and the muffler was rotting from the main pipe. I decided to go with a Magnaflow 4in 304 SS turbo back system (see picture below) - so I ordered it up from IRONMAN.

I have noticed since the install that I am getting about 1.5 MPG better on a trip up north. I was getting ~19 MPG avg for a round trip up north (unloaded) and after the install, the last two trips I got ~20.5 MPG and ~22.3 MPG. :woot: It also seem like there is a bit more horse power when I smash the skinny pedal, and it sounds great! This was definitely worth the upgrade.

Many thanks to IRONMAN for the fast shipping and the great price for the system!

I will post up more pics as I get them. :naughty:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Picture missing.

Sweet. How much did that exhaust cool off your EGT's?
What picture is missing - I can see both of them?

Not sure on the EGT's... I don't have a gauge yet to measure them, but I am guessing that they are significantly cooler. (I really need to pick up a gauge).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.