Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Finally

4K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  curbdog17 
#1 ·
I've owned a jeep since I was in High School. Since then, I've always wanted my own towrig and trailer. For the past 5 years, I've added to that dream, that I wanted a trailer big enough to haul a pop up on. 13 years after that dream was born, I've finally got it. Just picked up a 26 foot flat bed. that's more than enough to haul my jeep and pop up. Once I pull the mobile home axles off it, and throw a couple 5,200 pound ones with brakes, and re-deck it I will finally be happy.... For a while. :sonicjay:

Truck is a "heavy 1/2". It has HD springs, and upgraded rearend, HD tranny cooler and a brand new, reinforced at the frame hitch. The Jeep is a bastardized YJ ranging years from 91 - 98.
The Camper is a 87 Rockwood 2040.
The Trailer is some custom job.

By friday, I should be able to have one picture of them all together, but until then....

The Truck

The Trailer

The Jeep

The Pop Up

See less See more
#12 · (Edited)
or just a bad idea?

the jeep, the pop up, and tralier together, what do they weigh?
ill guess 10k when loaded up to camp and wheel.
food, beer, parts, tools, camping gear, ect.. that stuff adds up quick.

towing 10k with a 1/2 ton is a bad idea.
unless that trailer is alot lighter than i think, your way over loaded.

its nice set up! trade the chevy on an older dually or at least a srw one ton.

#19 ·
I was trying to be polite. :sonicjay:

I was guessing 8-9K lb range for the trailer but it could be heavier. I'd be hitting some scales to see how much everything weighs before going far with a 1/2 ton.

#15 ·
unless that trailer is alot lighter than i think, your way over loaded.

its nice set up! trade the chevy on an older dually or at least a srw one ton.
It looks a lot heaver than it is. That was my biggest concern when I 1st saw it. If it weighed 2000 - 2500 pounds I would have walked away. I set any land speed records, but I 'should' be fine. If not, I'll throw better axles under it, redeck it and sell it. :thumb:

#11 ·
I didn't realize you were planning on putting the pop up on it as well as the Jeep. Jeep on trailer, with 2 axle brakes and a load distributing hitch, maybe some airbags.......better cross the scales first, but could be done.

Jeep+camper... that's just not safe, you don't have enough anchor on the pavement to keep it all together safely.

#14 · (Edited)
It looks a lot heavier than it is. There are no I beams in the middle, it's all girders like pictured below, but much smaller. The guy said he didn't think it weighed more than 1500 pounds.
There's no doubt with popup (1200) jeep (3700) and trailer (1500) ~ 6200 pounds + or - 1000, I'm still well with in my limits. I think with a set of bags, and new axles (drop spindel w/ brakes) and it balances out the way I think it will, I'll be fine for now. Sure, in the future, I may get a bigger truck.

#17 ·
And I don't think any one is trying to knock your idea. I'm doing the same thing but with a truck camper on my gooseneck.
Just make sure it's safe.

It's worthless to try and overhaul. Especially if you don't make it to your destination.
Be safe about it, not stupid

#26 · (Edited)
Well, I just picked it up, and took it and got it weighed... 2340 gross. SO... According to research, my truck, with the gears it has it is rated to pull 8,800 pounds.

Trailer - 2400
Jeep - 3500
Camper 1200
Total - 7100 pounds.

Allowing ~ 900 pounds for camping gear, the camper and jeep balanced correctly, I 'should' be ok. Not going to break any land speed records with it, but it should work for what I want to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.