Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Is a CRF 450 more bike then a newbie would need?

10K views 124 replies 49 participants last post by  nickb304 
#1 ·
I want to do it right the first time . I know with my street bikes I went from 500 to a 900 quickly.

Should I get a 250, or just jump right to a 450? I've rode bikes before, but never on the trail.

I think a 250 is plenty for trails which I'm guessing that is all I will be doing, and I think the 450 would be more of a tank. I don't care about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, but two of my dirt biking friends swear on those 450's

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/2782850600.html

#46 ·
I have a 2009 Honda CRF 450. Bought it new, changed oils, filter, after first ride than every other rides for break in. I had the ecm remapped because it would flameout sometimes at stops. It starts easy and I did change to a heavy clutch spring set. I went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket I felt the gearing was too tall on trails. I put dunlop geomax tires on it and the dealer gave me 50 bucks back.
Honda has some deals sometimes , I believe it was about 5800.00. It needs a rear lowering link.
Other than that it is a powerful machine that will take you anywhere if you can hold on.

#47 ·
if you buy a bike, I will

I really like that ktm 250sxf or what ever it is. So this 350 sounds interesting. We went up north this year and did some dirt biking and a buddy had one of those ktm 250's and it hung with the 450's all day. And these were not new riders. Back in that day of my dirtbike racing shenanigans I always like the 125's better than the 250's, while it took more to ride the 125 because you had to rev the piss out of it, I was always faster on a 125 than a 250. Now fast foward into the roadracing days and same thing. While I could go faster on 1000's I never felt as comfortable as I did on the 6's or 750's. Ofter times I could outrun guys on their liter bikes with my 6. Made several people mad out on the track, but it was all in good fun.

I don't think you will disappointed in a 250, but I'd go with the 450...if I buy one thats what I'm going to get. I also plan on putting a light kit on it and plating it

#56 ·
It really depends on how you intend to ride the trails, of your looking to color tour get a 250. If you want to beat quads get a 450. I bought my first bike a few three years ago, 04 crf450, I really never felt like it was too much and I hate riding my friends 250f, do not get a two stroke. It's a pain in the ass to have to carry oil so you can fuel up. Chances are you will never be able to ride a 250 or a 450 to its full potential (nor will I) but you'll have more fun on a big bike. It's really frustrating getting beat on a straight trail because you ran out of bike.

#58 ·
I didn't read through all this but I used to have a CRF250R that I sold/traded to boggin-machine. A couple years later I ended up buying a 450 which I loved. The only reason I go the bigger bike was that everyone else I rode with had 450's. Even though they had the bigger bike I would stay right with them or pass them for the most part. The only time I noticed a difference was on a long up hill jump when it was loose. I had a hell of a time clearing it on my 250 unless I hammered the corner right before it and carried enough speed through it. With the 450 it was a lot easier. If you plan on riding mostly trails you should be fine on a 250 unless you like to have more power than you need. I would say find someone that has a 250 and someone who has a 450 and ride them both before you go buy one. If I was going to buy one right now I don't know which I would get either(I want one but cant afford it right now, had to sell my 450 earlier last year and regret it...bad).

#60 ·
That 250f that Butters speaks of was for me to race the 250 class as well. I ended up letting the girl friend ride it cause I needed a 450. I use all the power the 250f has to offer. I love the snap of my 08 CRF 450. Kelly if you wanna ride mine your more return welcome to.

Dreezy..... Get on it man!

#61 ·
#62 ·
From my experience with offroad bikes over the years I would suggest either of the following:

1. KTM 250 or 300 XCW-E 2-stroke electric start. Tons of torque and very tunable for torque while still having great top-end.
2. KTM 350 four stroke - supposed to be the best mix of power and rideability of the newer bikes.

Here's what I base it on:
You and I are the same size, and my 300 2-stroke is awesome in the woods. It's tuned for low end, but still is goddamned fast and has decent overrev. If you like tight, twisty trails, you want good torque and excellent throttle control. That has the KTM300 written all over it.

As far as *any* 4-stroke 450; for trail riding, (IMHO) they're too mf'ing brutal. They're meant to rip on a track - and if you do your research there are KITS AVAILABLE TO DECREASE the engine displacement of the 450 - this is in order to make the damn things ridable for more than a half hour at a time.
Read some writeups and you'll also see pro-level riders/writers talk about the power output and the problems it can cause when you get tired. And you *will* get tired.

Ian rides a 450 and I have no freaking idea how he can stay on that focker for more than an hour.

Don't bother looking at the 250 4-strokes. Sure, they handle nice, but you'll get tired of the power characteristics pretty quick - being a fellow fatass. I build Marina's up with a high comp piston, R head and a bigger cam - and it rips. For her. I get on it and it feels good, unless I ride it after getting off my 300, then it feels like a toy.

You ever want to ride my 300, stop on over - you'll be sold.

#80 ·
From my experience with offroad bikes over the years I would suggest either of the following:

1. KTM 250 or 300 XCW-E 2-stroke electric start. Tons of torque and very tunable for torque while still having great top-end.
I had a KTM 300 exc, a yamaha yz450 and i currently have a 05 suzuki rm250. All are great bikes.

It all depends on what type of trails you plan on riding. Do you plan on going on tight trails in the woods, dunes, or two track type trails? In my opinion the 450 is a waste of money, I loved mine but honestly i went down to my 250 and i do not really miss my 450. I have just as much fun with my 250 and only paid half of what i sold my 450 for. If you a new rider and want a very versatile bike i would go with the KTM, If your a bigger the better kind of guy than get the 450. But I do not think you will get bored with the ktm 300 or a 250 in any brand. I weigh 230 pounds and my 250 is plenty of bike for me. I found when i went to a smaller bike i was able to greatly improve my riding abilities and am now able to keep up with most average riders on a 450 who have less skill but make up for it with a more powerful bike.

#63 ·
I rode a 2009 kx250f for a year and a half, and loved it. I had friends riding ktm300's, 250's, and most other big 2 stroke trail/enduro bikes and they all loved it as well. Half of them offered me to trade. Honestly its not so much about displacment. You could have the fastest bike in the world and never win a race. Not saying I was any special rider, but I could hang with 450's all day. I remember back when I was on an 85 a few years ago and rode with 250's on the track all day long and never felt like they had any sort of advantage. Focus on your skill level more than the bike for right now. I personally would still take a 250f over a 450 any day. They are lighter, more flickable, and i personally like the powerband better. I have friends riding 450's that wish they wouldnt have gotten them becasue they power is too much sometimes. As good as that may sound, youll never use all the power on a 450. Probabally never on a 250. Only the pros do. I vote find a nice 250.

#67 ·
I bought a dirt bike this spring ,twenty years since I sold my last one.I thought about the 250vs450 for along time.I ended up on a 250f with hot cams,and all the free mods.I absolutly love it.I used to think bigger was better,when I was younger.
Being fast on a dirtbike is more about rider ability then a 250 vs 450.Very few riders can use all the power that a newer 250 makes.If you dont believe me check the pro riders lap times on both bikes.
A bigger bike will help you in the straights if you are a poor rider,a bigger bike will also put you in the hospital if you are trying to keep up with better riders on 250s.
A 450 will tire you out much quicker then a 250,depending on the terrain.
The only time I wish I had a 450 is for wheelies.I dont weigh a lot(175) so it takes alot more balencing,and rear brake work to catwalk through the gears.If I was going to the dunes I would buy a 450,otherwise Buy a 250,learn to crash on it,then buy a 450 when (if) you need it.
I ride with a good freind on a kx500 and I dont ever find myself struggeling to keep up,the day after christmas we rode out of club37 and I was much faster on the trails then he was.My point is,it's the rider,not the bike.I think most people will be faster in the long run on a smaller bike,and it will make them a better rider.
As others have said,you have to work a 250 a little more.I call all that shifting and stuff riding,I could stay on the couch,or get a 450 and leave it in third gear.
I also want to add this.DUAL SPORT
Riding dirtbikes is fun.Riding a dirtbike with a plate on the back is the shit.I love jumping on my bike to hit the back roads,and two tracks.I have at least two freinds that are selling dirtbikes, and shopping for dualsports now,since I bought mine.
Enjoy what ever you buy,and be carefull.see ya on the trails.

#68 ·
all i will say is i have more hours on a bike then anybody on this board.i have owned 1 or 2 new bikes every year since 88.i sold bikes for 6 year. raced for 24 years.
you don't want a 250f for trail riding only. they are fun and you can go real fast on one, but they are NOT RELIABLE.!
daves bike would be a good one kelly. for tight single track a 300 ktm is the king. for all around get a 450.

#69 ·
and dave (beast) congrats on getting powers... to think you were busy before...:sonicjay:
when you going to get ktm?:poke:
i will stop in and see you next time i am around.i am ready to pull the trigger on a new bike again.sold my new sled. winter sucked.

#73 · (Edited)
i did start riding when i was 2....(first 3 wheeler was a big wheeled 90, 1974 i believe)could not steer it. (raced a kitty cat snowmobile in st charles when i was 2):sonicjay: didn't race bikes until i was 15.that's when i rode just about everyday and raced every weekend. that was my life, all i did, all i thought about and all i spent my time on.

and that's my history lesson....:sonicjay:

so for the hell of it lets see if i remember all my rides...
3 wheelers
1974 atc90
1980 atc70
1982 atc110
1984 atc125m
1985 atc200m
1994 225dx
1995 250 tri z
1996 250r
1998 250r quad
bikes

82 yamaha 80
84 yamaha 125
86 ttr 250
88 cr 250
89 cr 250
90 cr250
91 cr250
92 cr250
93 rm 250
94 rm 250
95 yz 250 yz 125
96rm 250
98 rm 125
99 cr250 cr 125 ktm 125
2000 cr250 cr125
2001 cr250
2002 crf450, cr250 (was the first one in mi to have a new honda 450.)
2004 ktm 450sx
2005 ktm 450sx
2006 ktm 450sx
2009 kx 450
2009 crf 450

that is all i can remember...that brought back some good memeories

dale did pm me..no i never owned a 500, rode a 01 and 02 cr 500 for a while..also rode a buddys service 500, ice raced a rotax 600 and a custom built dirt track 500 4 stroke in a night frame.(that was tom bretrager's dale) also rode craig pickets morgan built kx 500 on the ice,

5 state ice championships,a 2nd 3rd and a 5th at the nationals.
c class state mx champ
4th in state in b class mx
3rd in A class mx
national pro earned number 97 in mx.
3rd in 25 plus state
2nd in 30 plus
won 25+ 30+ 250 a and open state titles in the northern series.
and shit a ton of other crap...who needs a trophy.

back on subject. kelly anything you get will be a blast!! nothing beats riding a dirt bike...

#74 ·
Scoots, there's a few members on the board who have riden with me or still do, none of them understand how I can stay on for so long either. I ride my 450 to its full potential. I've added some power adders and a fmf ti 4 with power bomb header from head back. It gives me tons of over rev which works well for me.

The next time we set up a ride try not break your arm buddy!

#77 ·
bdd1469, your suppose to ride a 250f like a 250 2 stroke. you gotta work them hard to get power out of them on the track.

its like riding a 125 2 stroke. you need to be on that clutch extremely hard all the time and rev the hell out of it.

#94 ·
bdd1469, your suppose to ride a 250f like a 250 2 stroke. you gotta work them hard to get power out of them on the track.

its like riding a 125 2 stroke. you need to be on that clutch extremely hard i all the time and rev the hell out of it.
I realize that racing on the track you are always on the rev limitet.You are also buying a new bike every year and rebuilding motors between races.trail riding is a lot different and Im plenty fast for an old guy,and never hit the rev limiter.I realize you use the clutch a lot more to keep the motor in the zone on a 250,Im hard on my clutch because I ride my bike like a trials bike.Im always trying to climb stuff I cant,I fall down alot.
I have freinds that work out,said I should go to the gym.I bought a dirt bike instead,and named it GYM.

#78 ·
lets see I got my first bike at 4yrs old...A nice old JR50, and from there it envolved, ACT110's LT250r's, as host of yamaha, honda, suzuki, kawasaki 80's, 125's, 250's on the dirt...street was a ysr50b, followed by a host of 600-1000cc bikes. I was buying a new one every year, stripping it put race glass and other parts on it, then put it back to street use and sell it for more than I had into it...it was a good system that worked well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.