Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Boat questions

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  EASY STEP 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying my 1st boat to be used primarily for occasional family boats trips locally and some walleye/perch fishing on lake erie/saginaw bay ect....with an occasional salmon fishing trip. Ive pretty much decided I want a boat in the 17-20ft range and I'm looking to spend around 3K'ish. In my research I've found lots of older boats in that price range that would fit the bill but....

How big of deal is it to intall fishfinders, rod holders, ship to shore radio and possibly downriggers or is it easier to just look for a boat that someone has already installed these items?

What are the advantages of I/O vs Outboard motors for the things I intend to use it for?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

#2 ·
Lots of boats out there for you to choose from now days ... I am sure you could find a great boat with all the add-ons you will need for the right price ... But it is not a big deal installing those things if you don't !
I think i/o verse outboard is a personal thing ... my boat is twin I/O's ... but I don't fish ... I would think outboards are better for trolling ! and adding a trolling motor !
Take your time and do your research ! Check repo yards !

#3 ·
If your passion is fishing which it sounds like it may be, and you think you ae going to get into it big time then I would look for the boat that is all set up, with down riggers and all, there may be a deal out there just for you just remember most fishermen are in love with their boats and rigging so most want top dollar so they can up grade to the next level.

As far as size, you will never here to many fishermen talk about having a boat to large, but you will find fishermen talk about their boat being to small and wish they had the next size up, if you are thinking 17 to 20 feet is the right size for you, go 20 to 21 feet, aluminum of course, ease of towing and maintenance.

I/O vs outboard, most fishing guys go with outboards, again less maintenance, easy upgrade to larger engine. One suggestion i would make if the pocket book can handle it go with the largest engine possible, it very easy to be sold under powered boats just because of price, then when you go to run the boat and you find out its a dog out of the hole ooooooh your so pissed and it hard to enjoy the boat after that.

I/O vs outboard, one thing to keep in mind is the use of the stern of the boat, the outboard engine is in the way for some fishing guys ( not many)to line up their down riggers and poles.

( YOU MAY ALREADY KNOW THIS)
If you think you are going to enjoy fishing and boating but just not sure, then i suggest go simple and up grade from there, true boaters are very impatient people (can be helpful also) and you will need to get an understanding of that at the dock, make sure you have your boat ready to launch, poles in place, food on board, passangers ready on standbv, parctice backing the boat to the ramp on a rainy day several times so you have it down patt for the sunny busy days The dock can be, or is the most frustrating place for boaters, there are more husband and wife fights at the dock ( and if you dont beleive me go to any busy dock on a four of July, and take a video camara, cheap entertainment ) And if you have a girl friend or wife that can back a boat down the ramp successfully AWESOME!
BUT PLEASE DONT FIND OUT SHE CANT ON THAT SUNNY BUSY AFTERNOON, PLEASE DONT DO THAT TO HER OR THE BOATERS STACKING UP BEHIND YOU!:confused: ( AS I SAID YOU MAY KNOW THIS )
ENJOY YOUR BOATING SEARCH! :rock:
REMEMBER AS THE WINTER WEATHER STARTS TO FADE BOAT PRICES GO UP!
GOOD LUCK!

#5 ·
Very important!
Boats are like every other toy, they come with problems, many people just dont take care of their toys or just dont know how to take care of their toys!
If you can get the person selling the boat to take it somewhere to test run it, DO IT!
Its well worth the time, money and cold!!!!
I know its not common practice, BUT IT SHOULD BE!!!!
ALSO, buy fuel injection engine only, they start so much better and prevents frustration at the dock!

#7 ·
Very important!
Boats are like every other toy, they come with problems, many people just dont take care of their toys or just dont know how to take care of their toys!
If you can get the person selling the boat to take it somewhere to test run it, DO IT!
Its well worth the time, money and cold!!!!
I know its not common practice, BUT IT SHOULD BE!!!!
ALSO, buy fuel injection engine only, they start so much better and prevents frustration at the dock!
:teehee: I love pumping my carbureted 351.

If you buy a boat in the winter and a sea trial is not possible, you could always have it surveyed.

#6 ·
So far everything posted is good info, some things to add if this is truly your first "boat expierence".

1) boating safety course, take it, well worth your time and everyone on the water will appreciate it. Including you and your family.

2) if you into all the fishing scene equipment is expensive, try to get the right boat with all the gear, you won't want to work on it during the summer.

3) if you go with a smaller boat, Outboard engine is the way to go.

4) the launch ramp is critial, explained above.

5) i would budget at least 1k, in unforseen necessities if you plan on acquiring and enjoying this boat this summer. (more fuel, tires, engine break down, missing equipment, registration.)

#8 ·
Graygoose really wishes he had fuel injection! REALLY!

Fuel injection would be a really nice upgrade on that Liberator, with maybe a 100 hp nitrous! :woot:

ALSO, keep in mind that if you have kids they will want to do water sports, and when you get a boat, you will all of a sudden have more friends, so seating is a must!

MAN THIS IS FUN!!!!! :bdr2:

#9 ·
Greygoose really wishes he had fuel injection! REALLY!

Fuel injection would be a really nice upgrade on that Liberator, with maybe a 100 hp nitrous! :woot:

ALSO, keep in mind that if you have kids they will want to do water sports, and when you get a boat, you will all of a sudden have more friends, so seating is a must!

MAN THIS IS FUN!!!!!
:bdr2:
Naw, no need for EFI for me. I prefer my carb. :teehee: I would like 100 extra horses, that is probably next winters project. (Stroker)

Hell yeah, talking about boating helps me through the winter.

#12 ·
All great advice guys, I appreciate it. I grew up on boats but never owned one of my own. Here are a few of the boats I've narrowed the field down to;

All of these have at least some of the features that I want......one even comes with planer boards....another comes with some more fishing poles(all though I have more than my fair share).....

I plan to trailer the boat for at least the 1st year so weight is a consideration for sure.......

Thanks again.

Paul

#14 ·
I would say the red boat with the double axle trailer. It has a cabin and therefore a toilet which is very important if you plan on having a girl or gf come out with you (trust me, I know from personal experience). Also, you can plan on spending $1000+ on those dam things every year you have it. There are always new things that you will want to get and they need more attention than every other vehicle you have put together.

You did not specify where the boat will be going. Since you mentioned walleye and salmon, I assume that it will hit larger bodies of water. You will get absolutely hammered in any of the smaller boats that you posted pics of. I had a 17' on lake st clair and could not go out with winds over 10-15 on the land.

It is very important to know the history of the thing. Especially if it came from a salt water area! That stuff will corrode everything metal. The hardest of which to fix is the motor and outdrive. It can look all nice and pretty on the outside and the inside (water jackets, exhaust, cyl head, etc) will be ready to fall apart.

While the hull of the boat is a huge piece, the most important is the motor and drive. Everything should be in mechanically perfect shape. If its not, walk away. Twin I/O's are nice since you have a 2nd motor to run on if the 1st one fails. Also, you can use trolling motors on I/O's, they are called engine mounted trolling motors, I had a 24volt 55lb unit from Navigator. They mount to the anti-cavitation plate on your outdrive/s(just above the prop). Like everything else marine, they are $$$$, but nice.

Boat stands for bust out another thousand just like jeep stands for just everyone elses parts. You should not keep track of the $ you will end up having into the thing, it will not be a pretty site. Just enjoy it

#18 ·
Man I hate that saying! :fish:
That saying is for people that thought boating was like driving a car,NO boating is work and takes practice, people that love boating and understand boating never say that! The person that loves boating says I need a bigger boat!!!! :bdr2:

#21 ·
im going to look at a boat tomorrow, and im bringing my buddy who works at a marina with me even though i am pretty knowledgeable about boats.

1. get the motor checked out, if it was not properly winterized the block could be cracked $3000 repair bill on an inboard boat.

2. safety certification is often underestimated. but its very very important. safety equipment as well. (fire extinguisher, vests, anchor, oars, etc.)

3. consideration is always key at a boat ramp/dock. i have yelled at people for blocking the ramp for 35 min(in the rain), when it takes me on average under 5 min on the ramp. prep your boat away from the ramp. then launch it. don't occupy the ramp until your boat is there and ready to go on(or off) the trailer, and then prep it for the ride home away from the the ramp. and of coarse practice with backing trailers everywhere but the ramp. (your driveway, an empty parking lot, i don't care where. just not when the ramp is busy.)

end rant. sorry its a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.