178K views 1K replies 102 participants last post by  Mr. Beefy 
#1 · (Edited)
Build plan:
98TJ
3-link front, double triangulated 4 link rear
Hydro assist
79 Ford D60 front, 5.38's, undecided locker
14 B rear, 5.38's, undecided locker
Flipped D300, possibly 231-D300 doubler....if I can find the right parts:sonicjay:
4 cyl to 4.0L conversion since it was missing the 4 cyl :sonicjay:
Full cage
Highline tube fenders
Non comp cut cut
Fuel cell
I'm sure there's more.......

The story:
I picked this up on the coldest day last year....remember when it was 0 deg for a high with a -20 windchill in Jan 08, yea that day:teehee:

We bolted a front axle under it with wheel bearings and put tires on to roll it onto the trailer. Was a 4 cylinder.....minus the 4 cylinder, front axle, rear ring and pinion, airbags deployed.
Put the hood and stood the grill in place to access the damage once I got it home.

Picked up half doors and uppers this summer, color is fugly but they'll serve the purpose.
Bought a take out 4.0L and AX-15 with computer, wiring ect this summer. S.Hembree, Pwilson22000 and I set that in a couple weeks ago and started it. Tucking that up as far as I can. Folded the pinch seam up and out of the way on the firewall when I pulled the engine back out. Gained about an inch of clearance for wiring and such :thumb:

Then it came back out and S.Hembree and I cut the frame to straighten it back out. This heep was in a front collision, the frame was 1.5" taller on the drivers side, had to cut the frame to twist it back to about where it's supposed to be.

Frame gave right under the 4 cylinder motor mount. Had to cut 3 sides and 1/2 way up the fourth before it would move.

Frame tacked in place, onto front crossmember/bumper. I will be transfering my 8274 from my XJ to this one when done so I've been building the front so that it will accept that winch. Bumpmember mocked up:

Still need to put another 4" section of 1/4 across the front and brace it back. Will have to drill holes after that but I want to have the winch sitting in the bumper before putting holes in.
Relocated steering box up and hopefully out of harms way. 2/3rds done :teehee::

Still need to tap the steering box for hydro assist.
Went to LKQ last weekend and pulled a 99+ intake for $18, put that on saturday and replaced the powersteering fluid tank with one that didn't have the tab broke off the back.

Got my 14 bolt SOLID diff cover that I won at the Sundowners Rodeo this week. Also ordered disc brake brackets and D300 flip/clocking ring early this week but didn't get anything in time for this weekend. Pic of 79 D60 front and 14B rear:

Started on my flat belly kit this afternoon. Doing this one cheap for now. We'll see how it turns out. Ends cut off and sledge hammered flat :teehee:

Comments/criticism welcome, that's where the good idea's come from. Sorry for crappy pics, keep forgetting the camera.

See less See more
#275 ·
i read it the other day but i dont remember if you had a set of fenders for it. whats you plans for fenders? whats the take on the ltb's so far. i know you havent wheeled them but how do they compare to a tsl side by side. we all have wheeled them and are a harder rubber. are they a harder or softer rubber. i will be doing alot of my tj like yours as well. alot of thought went into this i can see, its coming to gather well.

#276 ·
You'd have to ask CTB2 about the tires. I liked the 33x13.5 LTB's I had on my XJ. I hope to be able to use these before they dry rot. As for fenders, the set I have are smashed. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to use the inner fenders or not, I haven't decided a direction up there yet. Once I get my bender put together I'll start playing and see what I come up with.

#281 ·
Took my chance on PORC, checked my CC policy on payment cancellation first though :sonicjay: I did call and verify over the phone that all the items were in stock and ready to ship when I placed my order. I didn't have any issues with my HD SYE when I ordered it from them but I've read bad seller threads also. We'll see how it works out.

#282 ·
i ordered some parts through there a few years ago and it was perfect. the parts showed up a few days later. i guess they really went in the shitter there for a while. isnt it under new ownership now or something of that nature?

#285 ·
CTB2 came over to supervise last night and stayed until 1am helping me get my 14B swapped over to disc brakes. I might actually have a "roller" now :teehee: Waiting for PORC to deliver gears before I take the 4:10's out. Going to work on tying everything together today. Those piles of rust fell out of the drums, no wonder they didn't rotate :sonicjay:

#287 ·
Well, not quite done with the 14B yet but I did get a bracket made to run an explorer alternator along with the TJ alternator. I'll finish up the 14B first thing tomorrow morning and start prepping the engine to come out. I'm going to try and figure out how to twin stick the D300 tomorrow, should be interesting. No gears or locker delivered today :(
Before:

After, need a shorter serpentine belt now.

14B truss reinforcement:

#293 ·
Ill show you
I'd have to be out wheeling for you to show me :sonicjay:
did you buy the caliper brackets or did you make them? if you bought them how much did they cost? im converting my 14 bolt over soon. cant wait to see how you do your twin stick conversion, i want to do that to mine as well. nice work
Caliper brackets are from Great Lakes Offroad, the conversion was simple :thumb: http://www.greatlakeoffroad.com/disc.html
If you decide not to use the 2.5 and change it to a 4.0 I might be interested in it
Collin has the 2.5L in his, I put a 4.0L in mine :thumb:

#296 ·
I'll have to take a look, hanks for the heads up :thumb:

Today I got the 14B finished up except for the gears, hopefully they come tomorrow. Paul stopped over to help me tear the diff apart and I welded up an "orb of traction" for the rear. He took parts home with him to pull bearings and clean stuff up. Thanks for the help today Paul :thumb: Got alot of little BS stuff done today, feels good to make progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.