Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Two ?'s on what I found in an AMC 20

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  PavementPounder 
#1 ·
I don't recognize this traction device. What is it?

This axle was stamped with a "D", indicating a 2.73 open diff on a WT. The 4.10 was a nice find, although I knew the axle had work done to it in the past. The traction device was not expected. Would the circled symbol denote Performance Gear as the manufacturer?

See less See more
#7 ·
Regardless, this axle was a great score. I was ready to swap out my axles for some NT FSJ D44's to handle the V8, but now I might just throw a u-bolt yoke on this one and run like that until the D30 blows up. It has Moser shafts, and old school Con-Ferr truss, and some superbad aluminum radiator-like diff cover that I'll have to take a picture of...

...and polish. :tonka:

#11 ·
Yeah, like I said - they don't look the same. That's how I knew you were wrong, but thanks for making it even more obvious by posing a picture of your E-Z Locker. :thumb: I already said right in post #5 that they functioned in the same manner. What the hell is your point anyway? That's you're easily fooled? :sonicjay:

I looked at the pics of what you thought it was and it was obvious to me that its just plain not what I have. I posted a picture straight from the Powertrax site that clearly shows the differences in the features, the shape of the individual components, the relative dimensions between feature lines, and the syntax of the part numbers is not even close - the Detoit has a single-line numeric part number and the Powertrax has a 2-line alphanumeric part number. The difference in the material finish is obvious now, as well.

#15 ·
It is a "percision gear" R&P good score :thumb:
Duh. I have a Precision Gear box sitting in my garage and I still wrote "performance". :miff: me.

#16 ·
That AMC 20 should work good for you. I have one in my CJ7 that has a LockRite and 4.56 gears for about 13 years. I used to have Moser one-piece axles and 33" BFG's. I now have the Warn full-floater set and 35" tires. I've never had any problems with it, and mine doesn't have the truss that your new find does. Good luck with it! You got a bargain!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.