Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

lets talk Ford trucks

4K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Haggar 
#1 ·
so a diesel is just a pipe dream at this point..

Dodges Hemi sucks..
Gm's 6.0 is great but shitty mileage
what's Ford got to play ball with ?

im talking new or newer trucks like 06+
2500 + 3500 trucks 4x4

i know im asking for a lot in a HD truck with 4WD to get 16/17 or better MPG (empty)

#2 ·
ford has ta new diesel coming out. 6.7 diesel.

i really like my duramax. its comfy to ride in. the diesel has tons of power stock or with a chip.
the ifs isnt that bad. depends on what you wanna do?
the 07 and new lmm duramax has some nuts to it. change the exhaust to a non dpf system and throw in a edge with juice programmer and you are set. run no more then 85 horse tune on a normal basis and you will never have a problem. the allison tranny is hard to beat.

the dodge cummin package is awesome. but the 6.7 doesnt get such great mileage with all the new emmissions crap its got bolt to it. plus the truck's interior is less the desireable. some will argue this is the truck of choice simply cause of the cummins, i dont care for dodge trucks. i would buy a cummins though.

ford doesnt have anything to offer as of now besides the 7.3
but even then why would it be a pretty common swap to drop a cummins into the ford.
it will be interesting to see what the new 6.7 has going for it. the had a article about it in my magazine i just got but i havent read it yet

#3 ·
I have owned two Dodge hemis, one 6.0L vortec, 3 5.4L Fords. I am a ford person to the core, but out of these options I would have to pick the 6.0L GM engine for a gasser.

For me a gas engine is a gas engine once you put a trailer behind it they are all turds.

For a diesel its another story...3 6.0L powerstrokes, 2 Duramaxs. One day I would like to own a cummins.

#9 · (Edited)
What are you pulling? If your just pulling your little s10 thingy why not get a 1/2 ton. My friends sister has a new f150 and he uses it to haul his mowers around when hes not using his SD. We used it to haul my dads willies Jeep. I know its not alot of weight but they say its suppost to be a good hauler. And good gas.

Also my dads 6.7 gets 660 miles to a tank.. So thats somewhere high when he did the HAND calcs.

But if you need the 3/4 ton than I beleive the 6.0 is the best.

#10 ·
What are you pulling? If your just pulling your little s10 thingy why not get a 1/2 ton. My friends sister has a new f150 and he uses it to haul his mowers around when hes not using his SD. We used it to haul my dads willies Jeep. I know its not alot of weight but they say its suppost to be a good hauler. And good gas.

Also my dads 6.7 gets 660 miles to a tank.. So thats somewhere high when he did the HAND calcs.
usually my s10 and 2 or 3 quads.. its not really a load that requires a 2500 but it's quite a bit for the 1500.. plus down the road i'd like to look into a bigger gooseneck

#13 ·
If you are looking at gas trucks:

Dodge, you already know the story.

Chevy: If you can find an 8.1 Liter, in my experience, they do just as good as early 6.0 gas motors, with more power.

Chevy half tons, outside of vortec max/1500Hds are too light, IMO, for pulling more than one vehicle on a trailer. Physical weight, the 10 bolt rear, and the 4L60 trans are all against you. Fine for towing your S10, but S10 + some, hmmm..

The 6.0 or 6.2 1/2 tons would do it. They'll get the same mileage as the hemi. Newest trukcs have 6 speeds which helps. You can run 3.42 gears and still have really low first gears for towing.

Ford, the heavier F-150s would probably handle pulling that load as well. Bigger rear axle than the chevys. Can't get lower than 3.73s, I think, though. 09s are 6 speeds, and much nicer than the 08s and previous, at least to me, and I've driven both.

You aren't likely going to get 17 hwy in any gas 3/4 ton, unless its low to the ground 2wd, and you drive real grandpa-like.

I bet for 3/4s, the 5.7 hemi, 6.0 GM, and 5.4 ford all get just about the same mileage, probably like 12 city, 14hwy or so? Maybe 15. The rear world tests that I've seen don't show it.

If you want a 3/4 ton and a gasser, I'd find an 8.1 Chevy with an Allison trans.

As soon as I can find the cash, I'm getting a 2009/2010 F150 crew with the 5.4 + 6 speed, awesome truck. Plenty for towing my Jeep. With backup camera that can see the hitch, trailer brake controller, all that jazz.

#15 · (Edited)
i hauled my jeep and quad on a 20' open trailer up to the dunes and back, along with 7 trips to the mounds or so with a 07 f150 supercrew 6.5' bed and a 3v 5.4L and it did just fine. it works a little hard getting going and on hills, but weight was never an issue, and it had the
9.75" rear end with 3:55's. the same truck with 3:73's would prolbably be better.
so basically any 04-08 of the same combos would work just fine.

#16 · (Edited)
My brother in law has an 03 Silverado Z71 with 3.73 gears. He put a programmer on it and beefed up the rear springs. He pulled a trailer for a guy who's V10 ford van had a hard time pulling. It's on it's third rear end now but we all know the Gov Loc is junk. I told him the first time to swap in a 6 lug 14 bolt but he didn't. I have an 05 Z71 with 3.42s and it leaves a little to be desired in the towing area but I get 16.5 MPG in mixed driving.

Oh yeah the Fords that you wanted to talk about. My dad has an 97 with the 4.6 and it is a turd but I had a 93 250 4x4 with an IDI 7.3 that towed my jeep like a dream. It even got 14.5 mpg doing it with 360K on the clock. I think alot of people talk down about them since they aren't turboed but they can be had cheap. I had $1000 into mine.

#17 · (Edited)
I pull with a 98 Ram with a 318/auto. total load weight of trailer and rig with gear is 7k lbs and get 10mpg

BUTLER pulls with an 03 Chevy 2500 HD, gasser,auto( forget the MTR size, pm him) he pulls the same weight and gets about 12mpg

Skooterbuilt has an 03 F250 supa duty 7.3 powerstoke, auto trans and pulled 17K LBS and averaged 16-17 mpg at 70mph

I know Diesels ARE A FUCKING PIE DREAM FOR YOU( as you stated before), but I referenced the SD and HD trucks because they were bought for the same amount of money and both are quad cab 4x4's,loaded with less than 90K miles on the ticker:thumb:

#20 ·
ya. i really like everything about the 09 f150 but the 6 speed trans, i like the 5 speed in the 04-08 much better. the 6 speed seems like it never really builds enough RPM's to get up and go before it up shifts. but other than that i really like it. much quieter better ride than the 04-08.

#22 ·
The 04-08s have a 4 speed (5 speed in the 3/4s and 1 tons, I think). The 6 speed gives you way way way better first gear, though.

Ford's problem is they program all their transmissions poorly
Yup. That is why my last Ford truck was a stick.

#23 ·
Why not an 02 or so 7.3L powerstroke or up to an 05 duramax? If you want a diesel and are settling for a gas then you'll never be happy.

I'm keeping my 04.5 duramax until I can see through parts that I shouldnt, when I get rid of it I'll get a sierra denali or something like that with a 400hp 6.2L and a 6 speed, I think that's as close as you are going to get to a diesel.

#24 · (Edited)
your in the same boat i am, but i think my hemi pulls pretty darn good. You would probably be happier with and 06+ because they changed the trans programming to shift better in tow haul and you can lock it in third gear where it really stays where all the power is. But thats beside the point. I would like to get a big low deck hight goose neck that i could haul two jeeps on or whatever else i may want. I think im ok power wise because my hemi pulls just as good as my girlfriends 3/4ton v-10 dodge, but I lowered her 4500# curb weight gooseneck 3horse trailer with tack into the back of my truck and It about put my bumper on the ground. I like the superdutys but i have been in f-150s with the 5.4l and think its a turd, would not even consider it in a bigger truck. v-10 fords and the big chevy motor sound like they pull good but your going to pay in gas mileage. why not a 07 or few year older diesel befor they put all the emmisions garbage on them? thats the only thing thats going to do what you want and get the mileage you want. and you can get one cheaper than a new 3/4ton gasser if you are considering one of those.

#28 ·
I had a 08 1500 with a hemi and i think it pulled good. Honestly i drove every half ton truck before i bought it and i think it had the most power. f150s are gutless and the chevys werent bad and had a awesome interior but i didnt think it had the power the hemi did.

I towed my cherokee which when you figure how much heavier it is than your s-10 thing it pretty much makes up for the quads in the difference. I know it made a HUGE difference on how i loaded it. It would tow like crap unless I got the tongue weight just right. I never had one problem with the power it had. It did get bad mileage towing (maybe 10-13) but it was alot of weight for a half ton. It got over 20mpg emtpy and rode awesome. I really liked it and if i was never planing on towing more than one rig i would have kept it. But we bought a gooseneck and i want a truck that can pull that with 2 rigs. Plus deisel is just the way to go now days. You can get awesome mileage with the right tune, they run forever, and they tow anything you can hook to them. My next truck will be a diesel....Probably a 02ish super duty, not that i have anything against the d-max or cummins but you can buy a ford ALOT cheaper. you can get a nice truck for under 15 grand.

#29 ·
get a 7.3 and your good to go! You might pay a little more but your getting more truck! Hell get a 6.0, throw 2000 at it and it will be as good as a 7.3

#31 ·
IMO, if thats your issue, buy a stick, or don't get a Ford.

Lately, Ford has been programming their shifts to shift early for better mileage. This wouldn't be an issue if they had +/- selectors for full manual, but they don't. Current dodge and chevy's allow full manual control and you can select any year, the Fords don't, and don't have all of the gates on the shiftesr, either.

#32 ·
Current dodge and chevy's allow full manual control and you can select any year, the Fords don't, and don't have all of the gates on the shiftesr, either.
really? you can command every gear on the new GM and Dodge 6 speed fullsize trucks? thats kind of cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.