Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

I injector swap for a 2.5 TJ?

TJ: 
7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  quicksand 
#1 ·
Just looking to do a little tweaking on a 97 2.5 with a manual trans. I installed a 4.0 TB and cold air intake. Is there an injector swap out there that anyone has done successfully? Don't have a ton of $ to play with otherwise a motor swap would be happening. Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
The TB seems to add smoother throttle response and a little better power in 5th gear where I didn't have to shift down for a little hill near my house. I did however install the cold air intake at the same time so it could be the both of them helping. Not sure about mileage yet and not sure if the computer has totally learned yet as I've only had it in for 2 weeks. Planning on some exhaust work too when I can to open it up a little.

#7 ·
i have a 95 2.5L and i put in some 19# injectors out of a 5.0 and i think it helped the only problem ive had is the plugs on the injectors r clip on not the push button type like on the 4.0 and i broke one of the clips so the plus was loose but other then that is was a relatively easy and productive swap

#8 ·
#10 ·
I think you will be OK on the O2 sensors.

If you can get your hands on the July issue of JP Magazine the do an article on adding power to the 2.5 ("Abusing Squirrels"). I looked on their website but couldn't find it.

They suggest;
Cold air intake
4.0 throttle body (grind out manifold plenum to match throttle body)
headers
High flow cat and cat back
electric fan
ignition upgrade
roller rockers
Adjustable map sensor
re gear
turbo

I would put re gear at the top of the list.

#11 ·
If you gain anything with injectors on your 2.5 i would bet it is because your old ones are dirty,i dont think a 2.5 with exaust and a cold air kit is even close to maxing out the duty cycle of your stock injecters.if you dont know what your doing,matching flow patterns,duty cycle,spray angle, you have a much better chance to blow up your motor,or at least wasteing some money,then gaining anything.you need to do the research instead of listening to joe blow,and what he used.every motor is different,and with out a wide band o2 sensor,you wont have a clue how much fuel you need.
You can waste a ton of money trying to make a 2.5 run,but it wont.even putting a turbo or blower on it wont make much power,and the cost and depedability make it foolish,in my opinion.
Save up for a gear swap,engine swap,or buy a 4.0 jeep if you want more power.

#16 ·
You can waste a ton of money trying to make a 2.5 run,but it wont.even putting a turbo or blower on it wont make much power,and the cost and depedability make it foolish,in my opinion.
Save up for a gear swap,engine swap,or buy a 4.0 jeep if you want more power.
I totally agree...i was just looking for relatively inexpensive ways to add little improvements to the 2.5. The exhaust will hopefully be next and that will probably be it. I am always on the look out for a 4.0 to upgrade because that what really wanted...i just couldn't pass up the deal i got on the 2.5.

#12 ·
I agree that a 4.0 would be a good way to go but this is really just a toy for me that I'm just enjoying tinkering with. I've read a bunch of different views on the injectors both positive and negative. My jeep does seem to take a little more effort to start so I believe they may be leaking down so would you guys replace with OEM or go after the fords with the so called 'better spray pattern'? Believe me I understand that this is a 4 cylinder dog that will never put me back in the seat...just like screwing around with it.

#13 ·
Got another question that i discovered when i swapped the throttle bodies. There is a port on the intake manifold that is just underneath the TB that wasn't capped or connected to anything. There are 2 ports there and one is larger that is connected to a breather i believe but the smaller one is closer to the firewall. Anyone know if that should be capped or connected to something? As far as i know, the motor hasn't been messed with until i got it and there has never been anything hooked to it. If you plug the idle goes down so i plugged it for now because it seems to idle at a more reasonable rpm. Any clues would be appreciated! Thanks.

#17 ·
I have a 97 2.5L, and I am pretty happy with it now. Not when I first got it years ago. I would have to lean foward on the Highway with a headwind. I only have 31s with a 2in BB. Under hood mods include, Homemade cold/ram air intake, K&N filter in custom factory box. Larger air tube wrapped with insulation, 4.0L TB, Custom TBS, Bored intake manifold, accel coil and 8mm wires, NGKs gapped at .039, and magnaflow catback. I am a DD, and like to do lite duty offroad. I keep my Little monster lite weight. But I tell you what the power to weight ratio is great. Fast take off, smooth instant throttle response, top speed 80MPH, holds 65 to 70 mph against head wind and has great passing power. If I was to but larger tires right now I would probably lose all my torque and power. Atleast not until I can afford bigger lift and gears. My next mod I am considering is a electric fan. Still looking at pros and cons. But for now happy with my rig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.