Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Toyota ...cutting their own throat?

6K views 114 replies 30 participants last post by  Grumpy1 
#1 ·
Toyota Linked to Human Trafficking and Sweatshop Abuses
Toyota May Be a Shade Greener Environmentally but has badly stumbled with Human Rights Abuses

NEW YORK, June 18 -- Today the National Labor Committee (NLC) is releasing a 65-page report, "The Toyota You Don't Know" documenting serious human rights violations by the Toyota Motor Company, which will disturb most Americans.

"Celebrities like Julia Roberts, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pit, Bill Maher and others have led the way in turning Toyota's Prius into a symbol of concern for our environment," said Charles Kernaghan, director of the NLC, "We hope that these same celebrities will now also challenge Toyota to improve its respect for human and worker rights. As a start, Toyota should cut its ties to the Burmese dictators and end the exploitation of foreign guest workers trafficked to Japan."

* Toyota linked to human trafficking and sweatshop abuse: Toyota's much admired "Just in Time" auto parts supply chain is riddled with sweatshop abuse, including the trafficking of foreign guest workers, mostly from China and Vietnam to Japan, who are stripped of their passports and often forced to work--including at subcontract plants supplying Toyota--16 hours a day, seven days a week, while being paid less than half the legal minimum wage. Guest workers who complain about abusive conditions are deported.

* Prius made by low-wage temps: Fully one-third--10,000--of all Toyota assembly line workers in Japan are low-wage temps who have few rights and earn less than 60% of what full time workers do.

* Unpaid overtime and "overworked" to death: Mr. Kenichi Uchino was just 30 years old when he died of overwork on an assembly line at Toyota's Prius plant, leaving behind his young wife and two children. Mr. Uchino routinely worked 13 to 14 hours a day, putting in 106 1/2 to 155 hours of overtime--depending on whether work taken home was counted--in the 30 days leading up to his death. Toyota claimed that he had only worked 45 hours of overtime and that the other 61 1/2 to 110 hours were "voluntary" and unpaid. His wife had to go to court -- which ruled that Mr. Uchino was overworked to death -- to win a pension for their children.

* Ties to Burmese dictators: Toyota, through the Toyota Tsusho Corporation, which is part of the Toyota Group of Companies, is involved in several joint business ventures with the ruthless military regime in Burma. The dictators use these revenues to repress and torture the people of Burma.

* Toyota and the race to the bottom: Toyota is imposing its two-tier, low wage model at its non-union plants in the south of the United States, which will result in wages and benefits being slashed across the entire auto industry.

The National Labor Committee recently documented how the U.S.-Jordan Free Trade Agreement descended into human trafficking with tens of thousands of foreign guest workers held under conditions of involuntary servitude.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/06/18/090268.html

See less See more
#2 ·
* Toyota linked to human trafficking and sweatshop abuse: Toyota's much admired "Just in Time" auto parts supply chain is riddled with sweatshop abuse, including the trafficking of foreign guest workers, mostly from China and Vietnam to Japan, who are stripped of their passports and often forced to work--including at subcontract plants supplying Toyota--16 hours a day, seven days a week, while being paid less than half the legal minimum wage. Guest workers who complain about abusive conditions are deported.
Huh? How are they forced to work when if they say they won't do it they'll be sent back to their home? Maybe I'm missing something.

* Prius made by low-wage temps: Fully one-third--10,000--of all Toyota assembly line workers in Japan are low-wage temps who have few rights and earn less than 60% of what full time workers do.
Again, how are they being forced to do the work?

* Ties to Burmese dictators: Toyota, through the Toyota Tsusho Corporation, which is part of the Toyota Group of Companies, is involved in several joint business ventures with the ruthless military regime in Burma. The dictators use these revenues to repress and torture the people of Burma.
Now that's just bad, bad, bad if it's true. Burma is a horrible situation and the international community needs to act.

* Toyota and the race to the bottom: Toyota is imposing its two-tier, low wage model at its non-union plants in the south of the United States, which will result in wages and benefits being slashed across the entire auto industry.
You mean people working an assembly line aren't going to make $25 an hour? Oh noes!

#5 ·
People who like Toyotas will still buy them and make excuses for this recent info.

I'd venture to say that 80% of Americans don't give a shit about the how/where/why of a product, just as long as they can get what they want.

#7 ·
This brings up something that has always bothered me. In our country, businesses have to go by certain laws regarding labor. Minimum wage is such a big deal here (way too high IMO). But for some reason it doesn't seem to be inhumane or anything to send work overseas or to Mexico where they are making cents per day to make things that will come back into this country. If we are going to hold our businesses to such a high standard here in this country to protect "human rights", then how is it okay for our businesses to do what is not allowed here to a person in another country?

#11 ·
A lot of companies send work offshore, we all know that, but the people that make cents a day are dirt poor.

Cents a day I think is a misnomer, its probably closer to a few dollars a day. I work with many people from India who came here after working in India for U.S. companies who pulled their entire families out of complete poverty on a few dollars a day. Their cost of living is so much lower than ours...its tough to put it in perspective.

#12 ·
Chinese make around .40 an hour, you can tell the last couple years things are getting better, many more mopeds instead of peddle bikes heading to the factories in the mornings:thumb:

#15 ·
"Celebrities like Julia Roberts, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pit, Bill Maher and others have led the way in turning Toyota's Prius into a symbol of concern for our environment," said Charles Kernaghan, director of the NLC, "We hope that these same celebrities will now also challenge Toyota to improve its respect for human and worker rights. As a start, Toyota should cut its ties to the Burmese dictators and end the exploitation of foreign guest workers trafficked to Japan."
Well if famous people are concerned about it I guess I have to be concerned about it... Damn!!!

#19 ·
toyota oh noz huge news.

despite the fact uaw workers are sleeping on the job
high school flunkouts making $35/hr.
the fact that you pay $40,000 for a shitty vehicle made by lazy fucks and only get a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. funny thing is about the big three and uaw is they will stand behind their product quality, but only for 3/36. don't throw that lifetime chrysler bs in there either. no chrysler will last that long so it is pointless:sonicjay:

#21 ·
you are one misinformed gentleman.

Ford's warranty is 3/36 bumper to bumper with a 5yr / 60K powertrain warranty
Toyota's warranty is only 3/36 as well, with a 6 yr 60K mile powertrain warranty

The UAW in the past 2-3 years has changed. The workforce is younger and smarter, and they realize they are disposable. The skilled trades I see are some of the brightest people I know.

#64 ·
The Big three are the only places that pay skilled trades above the $30.00 an hour mark....I've been on the Automotive roller coaster....I don't like it...nothing to keep you from flying off the train at every other turn..

that and the fact that they as a whole have been the single biggest contributors to the stagnant wages of my craft in this country by "lumping" us in with the non-skilled blue collars. 2 tier pay systems usually affect "hourly" employees.:miff:
wat???? i know welders in MI that make over 30 an hour, and they do not work for automakers.

#65 ·
wat???? i know welders in MI that make over 30 an hour, and they do not work for automakers.
Really??? wow...the only welders I know of that make that kind of coin are underwater welders and guys that do stuff that will be x-rayed because they are that critical. Very few of those jobs out there.

Please elaborate.

#25 ·
Freedom of speech?

Jefferson [that dirty whore] should undoubtedly have included the 'necessity of groupthink' clause.

#31 ·
Meh, I'll find something else to keep me busy.

There are negatives and there are positives, we just have to view both sides.

Jobs will be lost, and others will be created. We also have an expanding customer base (I think GM would be dying if it didn't have the rest of the world to rely on). We just have to try to remain objective.

It blows like hell to get laid off, but we're not just losing every job we have.

#34 ·
When does Sam's club enter the fold? Anyhoo, I'm a strong believer that if you live in Michigan and are concerned with our local economy, you should buy from an American manufacturer.

I also know that that isn't always an option for people, especially now that fuel prices are becoming (relatively) so high. With Michigan's economy not doing the greatest, almost 9% unemployment, it is difficult to fault someone buying a $10k new Kia, shopping at walmart, etc.

We're in a big mess in Michigan. :(

#33 ·
I can understand the anti global sentiment. the trick here is to know just what your buying and from where. there are still plenty of products made here in the USA. just do your selves a favor and look before you purchase. I know not every part in my Hummer was made on shore, but I'll be damned if I'll drive something that came here completely assemebled from off shore.

http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/index.php

#35 ·
Yetti, we own an excellent example of a "global" car - my wife's Saab 9-2x. It is basically a Subaru Impreza with a facelift. Produced by Subaru (when GM owned a part of their parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries) in Japan, "purchased" by Saab (Sweeden,entirely owned by GM) and only sold in the states as an entry level vehicle.

Profit: GM. :d:

#70 ·
Remember what your Momma said about "before you consider the comment, consider the source." The National Labor Committee is notorious for writing inflammatory headlines on sweatshop/child labor (i.e. Non-union) "abuses."

Hmmmm only 15% of their funding comes from the UAW, but wait, what about the other organized labor sponsors; that would be the rest of it. Kinda like Obama opting out of public campaign financing because it's a broken system but not because he can now spend 4x the money without having to disclose the campaign donors who are paying the bills. Yeah right.:stan:

#79 ·
i've been paged to inject some sense into this conversation. However I see that half of you are complete fucking retards and the other half have a clue.

Those complete fucking retards will never get it, probably don't vote, probably don't make enough to buy a new car anyway, wouldn't understand an Economic principal or the effect its having on their very own paycheck as we speak.

But hey, do whatever floats your boat.

Sheep.....

#80 ·
Please guys, look up "Trickle Down Economics"

Very simple.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Big guy makes money, buys lots of stuff from middle level guys, middle level guys buy lots of stuff from lower level guys......It's like a pyramid, the guy at the top makes no money (GM) The guy at the bottom (me, you, coffee shop owner, auto supplier, diner, jeep shop, ironman offroad, jcr, tims welding supply, etc) makes no money.

The big guy is HEADQUARTERED LOCALLY. SUPPORT HIM YOU FUCKING morons.

#91 ·
Comparing Walmart to the Domestic automakers is like comparing poop and dinner.

Walmart is a store, who orders goods from al over the place and does nothing for the local economy. It may be us owned, but other then a few $8/hr clerk jobs, they employ know one. If they made a concsious effort (like the auto makers do to keep work in the US) then of course we should support them. To further argue the point Meijer is a Michigan based company, I belive that walmart is in arkansas, so maybe if I lived down there I might feel somewhat different. But I don't, I support my local grocery store, and meijer when I need a department store....

GM, purchases parts from companies that have LOCAL offices, who hire LOCAL people. Those LOCAL companies purchase Materials from LOCAL companies, who hire LOCAL people. Yes some of their parts are ASSEMBLED offshore. But most of the white collar work (you know the jobs that actually pay enough to be able to drive the escalade or h2 that guzzles gas) stays (yup you guessed it) LOCAL.

I wonder why people think its ok for Toyota to make an assembly plant that builds a truck, doesn't have much design and engineering local, and sends all its profits back to japan? Oh I know why, because your sheep, great, Toyota has created 2,000 jobs in some podunk town in Indiana and they pay people $15 an hour. Great, what an awesome economic boost to a 100 mile radius.

Hmmm yet the domestics employ the whol friggin state of michigan, including those not even associated with the domestic automaker....yet we bitch when they assemble something offshore to try and cut costs so you'll actually buy it.

I'm so sick of hearing this argument, I see this shit every freaking day.......The thing that gets so old is the utter and complete lack of understanding I read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.