Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Kyle M. Ranger Truggy, rebuilt again - Revision 4

345K views 3K replies 162 participants last post by  Mr. Beefy 
#1 · (Edited)
I like to share what I am doing, like to take pictures, and I don't know about you guys, but I love lookin at em too.

SO here is my build, It is well underway, but here is the cut and pasted to date version.

So here goes, a 93 X cab, 4.0, 5 speed, Booger green as my Wife and kids call it, that is where the name comes from. A 6" suspension lift via rough country drop brackets, 6" skyjacker coils in the front and a chevy 63", 7" shackel and I replaced the factory lift block with a lift block, same height but had correction in it for pinion angle. And a 2" body lift....

At this point it was still serving DD and weekend wheeling duties, I was running 35's with 4.88 gears, trac lock rear, open front. It did pretty good, but I was ready to start making some changes....then this happend 6/18/10

So at that point it was time to come up with a new plan. I have already been wanting to do a SAS with my EB D44 so I figure there is no better time than now.

So the hunt began for a new "parts" truck that I could use the frame, front clip and a few other parts from. I decided I wanted to shorten my wheel base so I started looking for a regular cab truck. With just under a week of looking I found this beauty, a 93 4 poper flatbed

She's cute huh? Good shape in all the right spots. Runs like a top, drove it home and I only gave $450 for it....gonna part it out to get some of my money back.

So the plan is to use that frame, use my X cab and that front clip. As far as the bed goes, maybe a bob, maybe a truggy. All my motor and trans are going on the 2wd frame....should be a fun truck.

Anyways, on for the progress, got my 44 in the garage and started the tear down

Then I started to order SAS parts....got a set of Fox 16" air shocks coming, a few heims, picked up my 2" OD X.250 tube to extend the radius arms and some 1.250" OD X.250 tube from my track bar and drag link. Ordered some 4.88 gears today and some 7* radius arm bushings. I am going to go a pick up my disk brake set up for my 44 sometime soon too. I got lots of work to do!

Here are some pictures of the my smashed truck...

See less See more
#62 ·
Alright, got the tires on the 8" wide rims, narrowed the truck back to about where it was with the 10" rims and no spacers. I liked the width better before but who cares...it'll wheel the same.

Anyway, I mounted the tires myself and used BB's to balance them. I put about 12oz. or so of them in each tire and they work incredibly well! Drove the truck to work today, ran em 70-75 down the e-way and they felt pretty good...go figure, BB's inside a tire would balance them out. Better yet, saved me 50 bucks for mounting and balancing.

So since I drove to work and there is a high-low there, what better thing to do than flex it out all the way, never did it yet.

and full droop

Alright, that is all....flexes pretty good IMO. Rear did good too.

BTW, did ya notice the tires???

#68 ·
Looks awesome man. I like how you took the time to do it right and boxed the frame and shit.

I'm working on mine right now that I've had for about the last 10 years or so. Went through all the paces with it. First off, a body lift and spacers and 32s. Then added a longarm TTb lift and 35" boggers. Then I broke stuff. A lot. Then I saved for a couple years. I've got 1 Tons for it, 42s, H1 beadlocks. And I'm still saving for the coilovers and the doubler and fuel system. Right now I'm working on the link suspension. It's got a solid upper wishbone and parallel lowers. It's a mothefucker trying to fit all the linkage for the solid upper wishbone up in the frame around the exhaust and everything, but I think I'll be really happy with it in the end.

Maybe when I'm done, we can go wheeling or something.

#69 ·
Thanks!

I would have liked to gone further and linked it all up, run 1 tons and bigger meats, but I just see the need for what I want to do with my truck. Maybe my next one....I am DD'ing a Explorer Sport right now and I think that will be my next victom...

When you get done, hit me up....I wanna wheel!!

#72 ·
Alright, update time.

Got my tire groover....

and went out and put it to use.
my helpers

the first victim

the carnage

the results

I did the 2 worst tire first, went pretty good, took me about an hour. I don't really like the pattern I did, but that is how the wear bars were so that is how it happened. I cut the grooves about 3/8" deep, same as what the center lugs had left on them, should have some good traction now. Pictures make the tires look BALD, but they aren't.

And a little side note, put my vinyl floor back in, much quieter now. I also started on finishing my box, cut up the front part I cut off to section back in, but I am thinking it is a lost cause, might go a little custom on it since it is basically rusted out. And I put my tonneau cover back on, chopped a foot out of it to make it work, but it will be nice to keep my bed covered.....I wonder how long it will last since my tank is in the bed and I have to take it off to fill.....looks good though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.