Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

would like some input

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  af26yrs 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if the pub is the right place but I don't really know who to ask or turn to for help. my mom and dad have had the same job and every thing for 15 plus years.

I would like my resume looked over by someone who knows what to look for and if you are willing I will pm you my resume.
because it has my address on it and I don't want that on a public forum

If you are willing to look it over and give me pointers lmk and thank you in advance

Thanks
Matt

#14 ·
I had more than two instances where other people's second pages of their resume got attached to the back of mine.

It's easier if you can fit it on one. Kettering has always said one page.

Hr takes an average of 45 seconds for an initial look at the resume and makes a decision based on that. You typically get less visibility with two.

I can't force you to keep it on one, but be aware of the potential problems it can create.

#5 ·
idk right now im currently not working and broke and would take a job doing almost any thing but fast food and gas station. but this really isnt a looking for work thread. at the moment at least lol

i went to school for welding and fabrication. im pretty good with low voltage wiring to an extent.

i have over 500 hours booth time mostly for tig aluminium and stainless steel

#7 · (Edited)
I can look it over for you. Shoot me a PM with it

First thing; do not use a pre-made resume template. Just about everyone uses them and they make a resume look very generic. Second; if you do make you're own, which you should be, make 200% sure everything is lined up, spacing wise. Last, only use specific things about your strengths/skills. They don't have to be 100% specifc, but instad of saying that you're a good listiner or you're very prompt; say that you understand directions the first time they're given...etc

Unless you've been working for 15+ years, you're resume should not be more than one page. At your age (25+/-?), one page for your actual resume should be more than enough. Any more and an employer will most likely view it as you can't hold a job, or have commitment issues.

No matter where you're applying, MAKE A COVER LETTER, I can't stress that enough. Just don't regurgitate you're cover letter on your resume. for the cover letter stick to you personally; a resume is you professionally. No body does it and it makes all the difference in the world. and Last. Write a letter of appreciation after an interview. That is the 2nd/3rd most important of applying for a job. Unless you're applying for a CEO type position you don't need to write a letter of interest.

EDIT: Even if you're only applying for a gas station/fast good. It will set you apart from everyone else. I would attach a resume along with any paper applications as well. It can't hurt. Everything I just said is how I managed to get a job working for Fiber-optics/telecommunications when I have less than zero experience with fiber and a little telecom experience.

#13 ·
This.. All of this!!

I attended a workshop at school on resume writing, the thing they stressed more than anything else was keep it short, sweet and to the point.
Depending on what you are applying for they may be looking at hundreds of resumes the longer yours is the more likely they will forget it.

Cover letters cannot be stressed enough as it makes you stand out, its your chance to go into more detail about yourself, give them a taste of you as a person not just a laundry list of your skills/abilities.

I may be about the same age as you but I applied to spectum right out of highschool to a position I was informed thousands applied for and was hired one week from turning in my application. After I started my department head told me my resume was professional and to the point which he admired.

As far as layout and style I'd be happy to give my .02 based on what I learned from the workshop!

Goodluck regardless!!

#12 ·
Do a google image search for "resume" and model yours after one you like.

Try not to get too attached to a particular style of resume since nearly ALL human resources weenies are self inflated dick bags.

You can't really hold that against them personally, I mean they are paid to judge a book by its cover. Most of them are no talent morons though so you have to make sure your résumé has the right buzz words to match the job posting they're trying to fill.

And I would recommend you edit your resume to remove your phone and address and upload it to google docs then share it here. Even though this crowd comes across as assholes most of the time, they do tend to come through where livelihoods are concerned and there are a ton of skilled trades people here. You would be wise to leverage their wisdom.

#15 ·
feel free to send me a PM, I can take a look at it for you.

and I will second the bullshit on a 1 page resume, at your age you may only have enough experience to create a 1 page resume, but I often look at 2-4 page resumes, and sometimes i even end up in the 6-8 page category.

I think 2-3 pages is the absolute max I prefer looking at and I think most feel the same, but don't feel the pressure to limit yourself to one page.

#17 ·
My opinion on a one page resume is this: if you are going to a job fair the second page is not really that important. Reason being, you are already having an interview with the person you hand your resume to as they glance it over and take note of a few things and ask a few questions. Usually there is a line of others so they won't flip to the second or third page as they have others to speak with also. If you are dropping your resume off at an office during normal hours 2-3 pages would be more appropriate as the HR person will have the time to read over everything.

When I went to the co-op job fair for my employer I would skim over the first page and really only look at the previous work and applicable extra curricular actives/certifications/awards. I already knew their objective was to find a job regardless of how they worded it and I could careless what your non-work related interests were.

#20 · (Edited)
Proper grammar and punctuation use are huge.

Cover letters need not be the old school 4 page letter bragging about how awesome you are. No one will read that, in fact very few people in the recruiting world will even read your cover letter, even fewer managers will ever see your cover letter. Typically IF your cover letter is read, it's by the HR generalist who will determine whether or not to forward your resume to the actual hiring manager for the department you will be working in. In the end, that determination will be made on your resume anyway, not your cover letter.

When you write your cover letter, breifly introduce yourself, breifly point out why you are interested in the organization, breifly list 2-3 reasons why you are qualified for the position and then breifly shut the fuck up with your name and contact information at the bottom.

Key word here is breifly, people's attention spans have gotten much shorter these days with the sheer volume of applicants to any and all posted positions. It's part of the reason most cover letters are not read, it is to time intensive. It only takes an applicant 30 seconds to attach a resume and a cover letter and hit submit. What that means is i have over 50 applicants per day per position posted that I may or may not have the time to sort through.

DO NOT over analyze what I am saying here, please still put in the effort to make a nice complete application, including a nice cover letter, but don't over do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.