Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Wheel Polishing - Mothers PowerBall?

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  wilinsonlevi 
#1 ·
This winter did a number on my alloy wheels. Of course it's my fault for not keeping the Jeep washed nearly as much as needed.

Any of you guys have any success using the Mothers PowerBall?

Wheels are gonna need a lot of polishing work and my back won't be able to handle buffing them out by hand.

Any different recommendations?

#3 ·
Once tarnished bad I've not found a good way to truly bring back the luster to as-new. My alumimun Micky Thompson wheels were tarnished really bad. I wet sanded them for hours, then took a variety of polishes to them using a power ball. They turned out OK but not great. They are still a little dull.

#8 ·
I've used Autosol creme on some rims using extra fine scotch brite pads to get rid of the worst of the tarnish, then hit it with a powerball and autosol again. Quite a bit of work, but it turns out excellent. I don't have any good pictures on my phone or I would post em...

#11 ·
i use scratch x to do the rims on my ram every couple years, prety easy to use and good results, never used the poweball, but by had i have all of them done in about two hours. I had a tube of Flitz laying around for years so I tried that after last year, my rims still look good a year later and one winter. i think i washed my truck like twice this winter.

#12 ·
I like the power ball, I use mothers mag&aluminum polish. Takes a lot of elbow grease but works amazing. There is no fast or easy way to do it. To do it right it takes quite a bit of time. 4 wheels took me over an hour, and I still didn't do it as well as I should have. Just one of those things that sucks and takes lots of time.

#15 ·
My buddy at a dealership gave me some acid spray stuff that worked like I have never saw before take shitty looking rims and turn them good again. We just went to car wash, sprayed rims then I power washed off. Then I added a few coats of wheel polish just to protect them but that shit worked like ive never saw any other product do.

#24 ·
I used to hit my aluminum wheels with 4/0 steel wool and aluminum polish to clean them up when they got really bad. That worked really well to get the corrosion off and get them looking decent, then I would follow up with the power ball and more aluminum polish. They would look about as good as new after a few hours of work, but it was well worth it IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.