Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

where did my turn signal go?

925 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  turnofftheradio 
#1 ·
1996 F-150
2wd, 4.9, auto, 115,000

So a few days ago my turn signals went out. started flashing fast, then disappeared alltogether. my hazards also went out. I think I have narrowed it down to the hazard switch itself, spraying some contact cleaner through the hazard switch, swearing, and beating on it got them working almost correctly, but they are speeding up again. Is this a common problem? is it a waste of time to take the switch out and clean it, or should I just replace the thing. it is kinda ugly pinkish instead of red after the sun faded it anyways. I really hate when my signals dont work.

#3 ·
I assume you tried replacing the flashing relays? I would be suprised if the turn signal was wired via the hazard switch, but I'm been wrong before...

#4 ·
havent looked up a price on the switch yet...

turn signals do run through the hazard switch. at least all the other cars I've had. switch has to disconnect the turns to make the flashers work has a set of normally closed and normally open contacts. I'm assuming they are the problem.

I did try swapping flashers to no avail.

#5 ·
#6 ·
yeah, all of them went out. after 1 clean the left side sorta worked, then after a better clean both sides started working.

I think for 65 bucks I'll take it out and attempt to properly clean the contacts. Or I'll wait untill they screw up again since my last cleaning appears to have worked for now... :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.